The Ultimate Challenge Continued Again

@Leganeski Congrats on your grand tour! Your mission has been added to the Hall of Fame.

13 hours ago, Leganeski said:

Rule 1: the main parts mods were Near Future Launch Vehicles, ReStock+, Simple Fuel Switch, and Explodium Breathing Engines, all of which I believe to be balanced with stock parts.

Those mods are balanced, the least balanced one is Explodium Breathing Engines but it is still allowed.

Rule 2: I did have to use the debug menu twice, once to circumvent the landing leg sinking bug and once to circumvent a bug where Lindor's entire SOI was heated to 7000 degrees, but neither of those times did it let me gain any advantage beyond what would have happened if the bug weren't there.

With how buggy KSP is, this is fine.

Rule 3: I could not plant a flag on Tellumo because I landed in the middle of the ocean, but I did collect a surface sample there, which of course still required Valentina to touch the surface.

You have proof that you landed there, so it counts.

Edited by Stamp20

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
20 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Just checking, any "Grand Tour" mission that involves a landing on every planet counts?

Yes, landing on every planet and moon is the goal of the grand tour. For the ultimate challenge specifically, there needs to be a kerbal present. Jool and Kerbol are obviously excluded since they don't have a surface.

• 2 months later...

I have just completed the Ultimate Challenge. Please find the Imgur album here. 

I used visual mods (e.g. Scatterer) and informative mods (e.g. Transfer Window Planner) but all the parts are Stock / DLC and all the piloting was done by me.

KerbalX links to the two craft are below.

https://kerbalx.com/fulgur/Carboxylic-Acid

lB6ExqD.png

https://kerbalx.com/fulgur/Alcohol

oEolYW4.png

Val to landed on every solid surface in the Kerbol system. Jeb, Bill and Bob tagged along for everywhere except Eve.

Landings shown below:

Spoiler

qYv7doj.png

8oLliIy.png

kMLWe4b.png

cOrwttB.png

VIWCmoa.png

irCHDX6.png

46J1rLM.png

IsqvdJH.png

nIsyoSd.png

x9C4SlG.png

ujXrLja.png

k3LaGS1.png

7fF3Zy4.png

tA2J5zp.png

MkaYrDs.png

• 9 months later...

Wow, so few people post in the grand tour challenge...

Well, it's not exactly qualified because it's not stock but a modded planetary pack; but given that the planetary pack in question had 44 bodies with a surface, a couple of them bigger than Eve, and a bunch of other challenges, I figured it was worth posting here.

As far as I'm aware, the first successful circumnavigation of the whirligig world planetary pack

I completely forgot to post this here! 

A collaboration between myself and @Ultimate Steve, trying to build and fly the lowest mass stock+DLC grand tour possible. While we didn't quite hit that goal, as there is still quite a bit of mass to be saved, we did take a lot of mass off the previous record.