Does the "Toggle Display" feature on experiments ever benefit you?

Wizard Kerbal

Does the "Toggle Display" feature on experiments ever benefit you?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Does the "Toggle Display" feature on experiments ever benefit you?

• Yes
    • No
    • What are you talking about

Sometimes, I have questions about KSP's planets? enviorment? IDK. For example, is the dark side of Mun colder? Does Laythe have a thicker atmosphere than kerbin? I need my parachutes to deploy at a certain altitude. What's the pressure readout there? How cold is the bottom of Kerbin's ocean compared to the surface?
     Sending missions there and turning on the "Toggle Display" helps me answer these. Is it just me?

Edited by Wizard Kerbal

Pretty much what @UmbralRaptor said - nice to have the info sometimes.   Mostly just to satisfy curiosity.  Actual benefits?    I guess if you wanted to figure out an exact altitude on a specific planet or moon to deploy your parachutes, then the pressure readout could be useful. 

Edit:  Actually, I did think of a use - if you are using a planet pack, depending on how well documented it is, you may very well not have any data on atmospheric pressure so it could be useful there, same with temp & gravity.

Edited by Cavscout74

Once I learned that service bays are great insulators. I had a thermometer inside one, the last time the bay was opened in space. Then I closed it but kept the thermo readout active. Temp barely changed even when I landed on Eve, until I opened the bay doors.

On 6/27/2021 at 11:00 PM, Bej Kerman said:

There is literally no reason I could think of for toggle display to be a thing.

When the readout is not being displayed, it doesn't have to be stored in memory and updated by the CPU for each frame. Technically there's some benefit, but it's extremely minor, assuming both that it's even worth the overhead of displaying the extra GUI elements, and that the game actually stops keeping track of these readouts when they're not being displayed.

For a while I've thought it would be great if the experiments could store a history of their readings and generate a graph, and if this could be connected with latitude and altitude readouts from KER. Actually being able to map the planetary climates would be really cool, as I don't think anyone has ever done that.

Edited by Rocket Witch

Sometimes I like to know what the temperature is, especially for solar probes, and I make low-acceleration interplanetary ships for which the grav instrument gives much more accurate readings than the analog indicator by the navball. 

On 6/28/2021 at 9:04 PM, Rocket Witch said:

For a while I've thought it would be great if the experiments could store a history of their readings and generate a graph, and if this could be connected with latitude and altitude readouts from KER. Actually being able to map the planetary climates would be really cool, as I don't think anyone has ever done that.

I agree, maybe we could even have experiments where instead of taking a single reading you have to fly all the way through the atmosphere taking continuous readings.

If the game had a way to graph the data and save it, then it would be very useful. You could for example land a probe into Eve and see how the kPa for atmospheric pressure changes based on altitude and plan your descent/ascent vehicle accordingly.

However just displaying it is essentially useless in most cases but is nice to have it you are just curious what those values are in certain situations. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.