I am getting a no control warning in one of my games

Hi KSP colleagues,

I started a new game in KSP.  No matter what rocket I attempt to fly -- including stock rockets that have flown fine for me before -- I get this message:

"Warning: No Control! This vessel has no remote-controlled or manned command modules.  It won't be controllable."  If I attempt to launch the rocket, it will just sit on the launching pad.

Could someone please tell me what is causing this.

Thank you for your consideration.

Stanley

7 minutes ago, bewing said:

Did you forget to put any Kerbals into your craft before you tried to launch it?

This.

Usually a craft is automatically crewed, but if all available crew are already in another flight then you may need to hire more, sometimes when editing a craft it can also end up taking out the crew, 

Hi @bewing and @rhomphaia,

Well, maybe that's it -- I don't have Kerbals in my spacecraft.  But then, could you or someone else please tell me how I put them in the craft.

Thank you.

Stanley

Edited by MetricKerbalist

There's 5 buttons on the upper left.

From left to right:

Build: Creating and modifying the craft
Actions: Adding stuff to action groups.  You can use the action groups to trigger certain events (open antennas/solar panels, disable engines, activate decouplers) by pressing the 1-0 keys on the top of your keyboard.
Crew: Load crew into the parts of your craft that support crew
Cargo: Load parts into the cargo holds on your craft
Switch Editor: Switches between the VAB and SPH without going out to the KSC first.

loadkerbals.png

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to get Kerbals in my craft.  I am playing in Sandbox Mode.

In the top left, in blue, I clicked on the icon that says "crew."  I got two columns -- one says MK1 Command Pod, and it has one empty seat.  The right column says "available crew," and then the column is blank.  Then I made my way to the Astronaut Complex.  On the left column I have a nine "applicants."  On the right column it says "Active Kerbals: 4," and below that I have three columns reading the following: "Available [0]"; "Assigned [4]"; "Lost [0 missing]."  Then, below that, everything is blank.

I really don't know what to do.

Stanley

Hi @Geonovast,

Thank you.  But under my available crew, it is blank.

Stanley

OK.  Hold on a moment, please.

Ah, right.

So in the VAB, when you click on the Crew button, you have the two columns, as you saw.  Left column is any crews loaded into the craft, right column is available crew.

As you figured out, if you have none available, you go to the Astronaut complex and hire more kerbals.  You can hire the applicants by hovering over them and clicking on the green checkmark button.

The only information you need to care about is their specialty.  Pilot, Engineer, or Scientist.   Everything else is randomized.  The Courage and Stupidity settings only affect their facial reactions during flight.  It has no bearing on their ability or gameplay itself.

The Available tab will be the same right the right column in the VAB.

Assigned means that they are on board a ship already in flight.

Lost means that they're MIA.  This could mean that they've gone missing or they're dead.

AFAIK, and someone may correct me on this, but:

Lost means that they were on board a ship that was deleted while running in the background.  Really the only way this will happen is if you had a ship on a suborbital path when you left it and it got auto-deleted while you were away.

Killed means that you had their ship in focus when they died.

Lost ones can respawn and Killed cannot, depending on your difficulty settings.

8 minutes ago, MetricKerbalist said:

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to get Kerbals in my craft.  I am playing in Sandbox Mode.

In the top left, in blue, I clicked on the icon that says "crew."  I got two columns -- one says MK1 Command Pod, and it has one empty seat.  The right column says "available crew," and then the column is blank.  Then I made my way to the Astronaut Complex.  On the left column I have a nine "applicants."  On the right column it says "Active Kerbals: 4," and below that I have three columns reading the following: "Available [0]"; "Assigned [4]"; "Lost [0 missing]."  Then, below that, everything is blank.

I really don't know what to do.

Stanley

Spoiler

'Available crew' means hired astronauts who aren't on missions somewhere. 'Active' kerbals are those that are on a mission somewhere. 'Applicants' are kerbals looking to be astronauts, you can either hire or reject them. 'Lost' kerbals are those kerbals killed in accidents. Hire some applicants to be astronauts, then you'll have crew to assign to your craft.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman
Geonovast posted a much better answer

12 minutes ago, MetricKerbalist said:

I got this far.  But the spacecraft still will not sit correctly on the launch pad.

g1RpQpj.jpg

You could add launch clamps if it's tipping over. Go back to build, look in structural and select TT18-A Launch stability enhancer. Don't forget to move them to the launch stage.

Also, those boosters look really close to the center core.  It can sometimes be tricky to get them to attach to the decouplers.  They like to stick to the center core instead of the decouplers, then when you try to get rid of them, they don't go any where.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.