[IMPORTANT] I accidentally deleted the Squad and SquadExpansions folders. What should I do?

I have both DLCs and all mods in the for-1.11.2 verrsion of KSP Interstellar Extended. I tried to delete all mods due to a loading issue, but forgot to press "Invert Selection" and accidentally deleted the vanilla and DLC folders.

Solved by going into an old version by Steam and then back to 1.12.

Oh. Oh dear. You’ve put mods into the Steam copy of KSP, haven’t you? That’s A Bad Idea- Steam has a habit of corrupting mods and causing the game to crash.

Instead, keep the Steam copy of KSP completely mod-free to be your “clean” copy, then if you want to do some modding copy the entirety of KSP out of Steam/steamapps/common and paste it somewhere else, where you can mod away without game updates causing mod issues or Steam sticking its oar in and breaking stuff. This also means you can easily copy the Squad and SquadExpansion folders to your modded saves if you accidentally delete them.

Have you considered using CKAN to manage your mods? It’ll make life a lot easier than manually downloading every mod/update and managing everything by hand.

7 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Steam has a habit of corrupting mods and causing the game to crash.

Wonder where did that come from, as steam does not touch anything that was not created/downloaded by the client. I do it all the time with no problems.

Unless we're talking about version incompatibility then of course. Or, mods that somehow modify stock game files (haven't heard of any).

Back to the main topic, the easier and faster way to do that is to go to game properties in steam and verifying files. The missing files should just download back to place.

8 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Wonder where did that come from, as steam does not touch anything that was not created/downloaded by the client. I do it all the time with no problems.

Every time I look at the Tech Support (modded) section there’s someone else with a crashing KSP because they put mods into the Steam copy of KSP and then Steam broke stuff. Steam cloud saving seems to be the main cause and it affects mods with .dlls most of all, but I prefer to be safe than sorry and if one less person shows up on that modded support forum with a Steam-corrupted game then that’s a success for me.

Keeping the Steam copy mod-free also means you have a blank slate to make another copy of the game to put different mods in, get game updates (less relevant now but there’s still 1.12.1 to come at least) and you can change the installed version freely without having to worry about breaking mods every time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.