Assorted Hardware

CaptainSlug

I have completely solved the payload crushing issue by making all of the individual panels act as RadialDecouplers. Instead of a single off-center moment of intertia, each panel applies their own outward force, thus preventing any hinging moments. It also acts to detach all of the panels from each other. Just make sure to put them all in the same stage.

plf_06.jpg

Also includes new 2m and 3m bulkhead parts.

Use 2x symmetry mode when attaching the Explosive bolt, and all subsequent panels.

plf_07.jpg

And in case you're not sure what symmetry mode is, it's the small circle in the top left corner of the screen. Clicking in the circle shows how many of whatever part you're using will be displayed/attached.

Hello, everyone!

I have some strange thing happening. When I install this detail:

The rocket constantly leans to one side - and the bigger the rocket and higher the altitude, the worse. I usually end up with rocket flying horizontally at 50 000 metres - did anyone experience anything like this?

Installing advanced SAS (default SAS doesn't help) and controlling the rocket manually with keyboard helps but this shouldn't happen, I guess.

Regarding the solar cells; how exactly do they work? Do I have to wait for the tank to be fully recharged before it becomes available again? And since they're modified engines, the throttle would need to be on for the negative consumption to happen wouldn't it? That would make them useless since your actual engines would suck out any fuel recharged instantly.

Regarding the solar cells; how exactly do they work? Do I have to wait for the tank to be fully recharged before it becomes available again? And since they're modified engines, the throttle would need to be on for the negative consumption to happen wouldn't it? That would make them useless since your actual engines would suck out any fuel recharged instantly.

If the fuel tank empties, it deactivates all boosters by scripting. So if you run out of fuel, the solar panels become useless.

No throttle input needed. The min. and max. throttle is the same, so it doesn't react to increasing or decreasing throttle.

Hello, everyone!

I have some strange thing happening. When I install this detail:The rocket constantly leans to one side - and the bigger the rocket and higher the altitude, the worse. I usually end up with rocket flying horizontally at 50 000 metres - did anyone experience anything like this?

Installing advanced SAS (default SAS doesn't help) and controlling the rocket manually with keyboard helps but this shouldn't happen, I guess.

Most parts you attach to the side of your rocket will induce drag. If they are not symmetrically placed then the resulting drag will be asymmetrical.

Hey Cap'n, I have an issue attaching the half-size fairings to the underside of objects... even to the bottom of a bulkhead, the halfsies refuse to go on in symmetry mode. Probably a collision issue. The full-size ones work just fine.

I haven't tried attaching fairing walls to the underside of anything using explosive bolts. I only tested them with the nose cone. The collision mesh for the short walls is a bit closer to their top attachment node than they are on the full length walls. Maybe I'll have to make the spacing identical then test them again.

I have other small changes to make an update with, so I'll just add that one before making the new version available.

Most parts you attach to the side of your rocket will induce drag. If they are not symmetrically placed then the resulting drag will be asymmetrical.

I forgot to say I installed 4 lander pegs, when I installed 3 lander pegs, situation became much worse. I'll record a video a little bit later to show what I mean.

Payload Fairing Set V1.7

http://captainslug.com/temp/PLFset1.7.zip

+ Changed collision mesh of Nose Halves. Should eliminate 'banana-peeling' once you go to the launch pad

+ Changed collision mesh of Short Walls.

+ Changed mesh of Explosive bolt so it now has a base (mesh that gets detached) and an anchor (mesh that doesn't get detached)

+ Changed FX for Explosive Bolt deployment

Shit just got real, s0n.

fdJSz.jpg

fRDsT.png

The prototype works, albeit with some serious stability issues. Need to work on that, then get this into space.

It can also carry satellites with the proper decoupler, but who gives a damn about that?

PS: Slug - I would suggest modifying the explosive bolt plate so that it allows you to stick boosters and such on it as well. Despite my general ineptitude I'm going to try modding it myself :P

Out of curiosity, what escape tower is that, I really like the look of it.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.