Looking forward to KSP 2

I find Kerbal Space Program to be one of my favorite physics fun games. Between the animations of the characters, the freedom in designing, and an entirely overall relaxing experience, I find myself playing KSP quite often. I run a 24/7 YouTube channel focused on science, working with the USGS, NASA, NOAA and other agencies. Science has always been a passion of mine. Being retired now, and able to do my channel as non-profit as my hobby, and using my experience when I worked in an agency, I find myself streaming and sharing this game with people who watch my channel, periodically. I even recently had a friend come and visit me recently, to build a shuttle together. Took us about six hours of having fun and making all kinds of bad ideas work through sheer luck. 

With KSP 2 being announced, I am both excited and also wondering what they will do to top the core experience of the game. Designing the crafts and testing them fills almost all of my time, but I also like to watch orbits play out in accelerated time. I see a few new things in the brief video presented, but overall, the experience looks the same. This might be answered by reading the forums more in depth, now that I know about this website. Fortunately, when I posted this on Steam, someone notified me of the much more in depth information on this site that I was missing. I tend to not read too much into the Steam posts, as I do not understand the current tone of that social media. I tend to post and hope for the best, which was a guiding light to here in this situation.

I am sure I will find many of my answers as I peruse through the forums here. However, just to note, my curiosity is currently about depth of the Kerbal background and world/system. I am wondering if this is mostly a graphical update, or if they are going to expound on the complexity of the Kerbal lore and reality. Either way, I am definitely on board to play this, and plan on adding KSP 2 to my gaming library once it is available.

If you want to friend me on Steam, I am OldManGamer(OMG). Look for Tom Baker (Doctor Who) playing chess with K-9. Glad to be here, and looking forward to this game coming out. Cheers and Game On.

Welcome to the forums, Here you'll find pretty much everything we know about the game, I also suggest you to take a look at the other KSP2 subsection, the dev diaries, and to follow the account of the game creative director, @Nate Simpson, he has the habit of revealing entire new gameplay loops just by replying to some other users questions or speculation.

Fantastic! Thank you, Master39. I am navigating the forums, but will have to delve deeper in the morning. I will thoroughly check out the dev diaries. That sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Everyday is a wonderful day for Science! Cheers and Game On!

1 hour ago, OldManGamerOMG said:

I am sure I will find many of my answers as I peruse through the forums here. However, just to note, my curiosity is currently about depth of the Kerbal background and world/system. I am wondering if this is mostly a graphical update, or if they are going to expound on the complexity of the Kerbal lore and reality. Either way, I am definitely on board to play this, and plan on adding KSP 2 to my gaming library once it is available.

If you want to friend me on Steam, I am OldManGamer(OMG). Look for Tom Baker (Doctor Who) playing chess with K-9. Glad to be here, and looking forward to this game coming out. Cheers and Game On.

Welcome :)

KSP2 looks like it will definitely be a large upgrade in the graphics dept but so far it seems many other features will be added as well refining the core mechanics from KSP 1. The devs have boasted that ships far greater than 1000 parts should run smoothly for example. The game should be including multiplayer capabilities from the start, colony designing and resource gathering for ISRU will also become core gameplay systems. As you look through the threads here you will probably find that all of us here are speculating on what the new mechanics of the game will play like as well as suggesting to the devs what we in the community would like to see implemented for the devs to consider. We're lucky that the devs seem to be fairly active in the forum and can be receptive to ideas they find fitting.

Happy to have you join, cheers.

Thank you, McWaffles2003. This is an exciting time for video games. We have come so far in so short a time, and games have taken realism to another level. KSP 2 is definitely fitting in that category, from the sounds of it. I should be sleeping, but enjoying my puppy sleeping on my legs. He likes to cuddle with me. I am glad to have found out about these forums, and plan on doing a lot of reading when I am more rested. 

I caught up on all of the developer diaries. What I learned from that, to unfairly sum it up with a short sentence, is that this game takes what was awesome about Kerbal Space Program and improves upon it. 

The animations and behaviors of the Kerbalians brings more life out of the lovable and cute creatures.

The science is constantly being ensures to be accurate within our real world scenarios and situations. 

The colonization is fun but not a micromanaging nightmare, and is focused on the core experience of rocket design and exploration.

Most agree that Kerbalians are plant based lifeforms. 

The engineering aspects are carefully managed and giving the player more freedom in design, with greater upper and lower limits.

The real world science of orbits is applied with complicated algorithms, to give a realistic experience, while also managing system resources, to not be load heavy. I really liked the demonstrations of this.

The people working on this project are invested with a sense of purpose and a passion. The positive energy draws me into the excitement, and even more builds upon the anticipation that I already have for this game.

The most important point, in my opinion, is that we should be incorporating science more than we are, in our education and society.

The Developer Diaries did answer most of my questions, and I will be checking out the KSP 2 Knowledge Repository next.