Frostlines!?

7 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Source?

Why there's always no source

Some people want us to go hunt down the sources they mention.  jk  Probably forgot or wasn't able to grab the link. 

From the article.

Kerbal Space Program focused mainly on issues of velocity and gravity, however the sequel throws in matters such as the composition of planets and the frost line (that is, how far a planet can be from a star before ice can begin to form).

What's the idea of the frostline when any planet is hardcoded, and any resource is a set of lines in a config file?

Will there be a frostline of the dinitrogen tetroxide? They had to replace it with nitric acid when can't warm.

10 hours ago, TLTay said:

Simpson noted that, while you can colonise other planets, you won't have to worry about feeding your Kerbals and keeping them alive once you get there. Life support isn't going to be a concern.

"In the end it's a game about making and flying rockets, and if you have to worry about arriving at a place with a rocket full of tiny green corpses that actually does remove some of the fun," said Simpson.

Looks like life support is confirmed not to be in stock

That would be disappointing. I agree you don't want to worry about everybody dying but I hope LS is abstracted in a way that makes things like greenhouses and habitation important to gameplay. We could even assume closed cycle operation and have greenhouses and hab space increase the population cap. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

That would be disappointing. I agree you don't want to worry about everybody dying but I hope LS is abstracted in a way that makes things like greenhouses and habitation important to gameplay. We could even assume closed cycle operation and have added greenhouses and hab space increase the population cap. 

Life support will seem to only apply to colonies, and if you only want them to grow or to be efficient. Outside of that, it wouldn't be necessary. Which is something I would prefer.

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Life support will seem to only apply to colonies, and if you only want them to grow or to be efficient. Outside of that, it wouldn't be necessary. Which is something I would prefer.

Which I think is okay. The issue is LS as a resource that depletes over time causing mass death when you timewarp. If instead its more like a building resource needed to construct hab modules you could imagine it like a closed loop system that doesn't deplete over time but is necessary to create space that can support additional crew and keep them happy. Or it could be a resource that does deplete but the consequence for running out isn't death, but grumpy hungry kerbals that aren't as productive. I just think it would be silly to include things like habitation modules and greenhouses that had no in-game function. So Im definitely interested to hear how they're thinking about that. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

4 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

The issue is LS as a resource that depletes over time causing mass death when you timewarp.

That was the major issue I had with LS mods. You could never produce more than you consumed. You would end up bricking a lot of bases you setup if you didn't micromanage them.

4 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

If instead its more like a building resource needed to construct hab modules you could imagine it like a closed loop system that doesn't deplete over time but is necessary to create space that can support additional crew and keep them happy. Or it could be a resource that does deplete but the consequence for running out isn't death, but grumpy hungry kerbals that aren't as productive. I just think it would be silly to include things like habitation modules and greenhouses that had no in-game function.

This was more or less what my take on the brief explanation Nate gave for LS. It would be something that was helpful but optional to do. No Kerbals dying off if you ignore them. Just a good boost to productivity if you didn't.