1.12.1 hotfix patch is now live

St4rdust

22 minutes ago, dok_377 said:

Ohhh... hope this will have been fixed, when I'm back from travel, for when I've planned to migrate over to 1.12 completely depending on bugsituation.

I really value precise alignment in my bigger superstructure-spacestations. Even one degree twists drive my inner Mr. Monk (you know the TV series?) kinda insane. Drifting around the docking axis is not acceptable. :(

Otherwise I'll keep on using 1.11 as my prime install.

Edited by Rakete

4 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Mr. Monk (you know the TV series?)

As I understand from google, it's a local show in US. I don't live in US, so no. 

5 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Otherwise I'll keep on using 1.11 as my prime install.

1.11 was kind of broken by itself, but at least it's somewhat manageable. I'm staying on 1.10 for the time being, but I'm thinking about moving to a newer version. Probably not 1.12 though, it's not looking too good as of right now. 

7 hours ago, dok_377 said:

As I understand from google, it's a local show in US. I don't live in US, so no. 

This half crime / half comedy show was also shown here in Germany with translation. It's about a quite psychotic guy, working for the police, who freaks out if things are not the way, he thinks they should be. Is a little bit OCD and socially awkward. E.g. if he has to pay 97 Dollars... he can't. The number not round enough, it must then be exactly 100 Dollars... or no way to use things that are assymetric or not clean enough... the series is quite funny, as sometimes you find yourself a little bit in the character and have to laugh about the scene and yourself. E.g. I do not like misaligned dockings, even if just one degree to the left or right - i feel the need to correct this.  :D and I would be unhappy if timewarp or something like this makes the it drift around the docking axis, as i would strongly feel the need to "repair" my station in terms of nice rectangularity and being exactly parallel.

7 hours ago, dok_377 said:

1.11 was kind of broken by itself

Right. But it's kinda manageable, as you said. Some bugs of 1.11 can be circumvented by using mods. E.g. the broken stock plumes can be 'healed'  by replacing them with waterfall (marvelous mod, i have to say!). 

But at the moment 1.12 is for me not worth playing due to broken engine sounds, broken docking port autostruts/wobbliness, docking ports drifting, unusable mk2 dockingport due to wrong control point orientation.

Without these things fixed, I will not move to 1.12. I will keep an eye on uocoming fixes, enabling me to move forward to 1.12. I hope the devs will do a longer bugfixing period to reduce the pile of open tickets.

Edited by Rakete

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

Without these things fixed, I will not move to 1.12. I will keep an eye on uocoming fixes, enabling me to move forward to 1.12. I hope the devs will do a longer bugfixing period to reduce the pile of open tickets.

Exactly my thoughts. Waiting for them to release more of a "definitive" version so I can actually decide whether or not it's feasible for me to update and to what version.  

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

This half crime / half comedy show was also shown here in Germany with translation. It's about a quite psychotic guy, working for the police, who freaks out if things are not the way, he thinks they should be. Is a little bit OCD and socially awkward. E.g. if he has to pay 97 Dollars... he can't. The number not round enough, it must then be exactly 100 Dollars... or no way to use things that are assymetric or not clean enough... the series is quite funny, as sometimes you find yourself a little bit in the character and have to laugh about the scene and yourself. E.g. I do not like misaligned dockings, even if just one degree to the left or right - i feel the need to correct this.  :D and I would be unhappy if timewarp or something like this makes the it drift around the docking axis, as i would strongly feel the need to "repair" my station in terms of nice rectangularity and being exactly parallel

Sound like lots of fun. Can't say that I'm not like this from time to time. At least in docking regard.  Kind of developed hatred for misaligned docking, especially if I need to multidock something. 

2 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Waiting for them to release more of a "definitive" version so I can actually decide whether or not it's feasible for me to update and to what version.  

Yeah, exactly. This has the nice benefit, that the for me relevant mods will be upgraded too until then, I think. So, wait and see. Sometimes I ask myself, how such showstopper bugs could have passed the Quality assurance department. But other developers are worse (e.g. Frontier developments with Elite Dangerous - Do they at FD even play their own game at all ?!). Hope the Squad guys & girls will get things sorted and hopefully do more than one or two bugfix patches... The bug tracker is full of things to repair. 

2 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Kind of developed hatred for misaligned docking, especially if I need to multidock something

Exactly. My big spacestations have multiple sections, where inprecisions add easily up. The longer the modules / module cumulations the more half a degree misalingment results in several meters at the module endings. And if the modules are not aligned correctly (or nearly correctly) the whole aestetics go down the drain. And I am some kind of visual guy... Visual relevant bugs bother me very much. Also broken sounds...

That's why I started installing mods, as i hated the look of the (even in 1.12 still) broken stock plumes of engines and srbs. 

Back to misaligned docking: There are in Nerteas Mods some docking ports, which snap in only in 90° or 180° steps. Nice to have on bigger stations... just a hint to a great mod set. I think it's in the part "Near Future Construction"

Edited by Rakete

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

That's why I started modding, as i hated the look of the (even in 1.12 still) broken stock plumes of engines and srbs. 

Same thing. When I saw how broken some things (like stack traces and NaN orbits when physicsless parts is root) were in 1.11, I said to myself "There is no way I'm playing this", but I actually wanted to have some features like EVA construction and some other QoL stuff. That was the main reason I installed KAS and KIS. And then it kind of snowballed, because my hands mods wise were "untied" at this point. 

1 hour ago, Rakete said:

Back to misaligned docking: There are in Nerteas Mods some docking ports, which snap in only in 90° or 180° steps. Nice to have on bigger stations... just a hint to a great mod set. I think it's in the part "Near Future Construction"

I have some aid (NavHud) to help me align stuff, so I'm good in that regard. Don't want to rely strictly on snapping, that can make docking so trivial in the long run that it can actually make me rusty. I love doing everything by hand. 

11 hours ago, dok_377 said:

And then it kind of snowballed, because my hands mods wise were "untied" at this point. 

Exactly the same. Before 1.11 I played vanilla KSP for the pure feeling... I wasn't sure if I should fiddle around with mods, since I was sceptical... But then the plumes got broken and I thought: "No, I don't accept this for all these months"... Waterfall was the first to install, since I saw it in Matt Lownes videos... and yeah. It snowballed. Eve and Spectra were next, since I had to accept, that Ksp 1 will never get stock clouds, since they were not announced for 1.12. Now I dive into the NearFuture-Stuff step by step and don't want to miss them anymore. 

Feels like: once started installing mods, you ain't gonna stop. It piles up, as you try so fill more and more gaps, the base game has. Especially in terms of parts and mechanics. 

And somehow I think KSP2 will have a difficult start for me, as all the mods I've installed right now, won't be there for KSP2. Some may after a while, some never will.

11 hours ago, dok_377 said:

I have some aid (NavHud) to help me align stuff, so I'm good in that regard. Don't want to rely strictly on snapping, that can make docking so trivial in the long run that it can actually make me rusty. I love doing everything by hand

I eyeball this stuff as good as possible. E.g. with the little handles at the rim of the Clampotron Sr. Is there some stuff to see it more precise?

Edited by Rakete

11 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Is there some stuff to see it more precise?

It overlays the entire flight scene with markers (prograde, retrograde, etc) and when a docking port is selected as target, NavHud gives alignment markings for that docking port and the point of control for the ship that you are flying. I like it especially for that reason. It doesn't have any windows, just markers on top of the whole scene, which do not obscure anything from view. 

• 2 weeks later...

There is a bug that is just hyper frustrating for me. 

The parts are jelly. Literally long rockets will just snap and destroy. And I'm not even talking super long or complicated craft. Just a regular rockets just snaps. Docking ports are not even a question since they behave like liquid and just wont hold anything. I'm talking about 1.12.0 update though! So if this is fixed please let me know!

On 7/17/2021 at 11:43 PM, BlackEyedPhantom said:

There is a bug that is just hyper frustrating for me. 

The parts are jelly. Literally long rockets will just snap and destroy. And I'm not even talking super long or complicated craft. Just a regular rockets just snaps. Docking ports are not even a question since they behave like liquid and just wont hold anything. I'm talking about 1.12.0 update though! So if this is fixed please let me know!

Did you use autostruts and/or rigid attachment?

If yes and it still wobbles, open a bugticket or (if one already exists) confirm one and vote it up, please. That's the way to tell the devs the required bug infos. 

You may share the link to the ticket here, to attract even more people to confirm and upvote the issue. 

I stopped using 1.12 and went back to the also bug-plagued 1.11.2 version, due to the broken mechanics in 1.12 around the docking ports and the misaligned mk2-docking port. 

Edited by Rakete

Any Info on E.T.A. of 1.12.2?

Will it contain fixes for drifting, wobbling of dockingports and a repair for the broken mk2 dockingport?

And some of the stock plumes (eg. SRBs are plume-wise still broken (stuck on  max 50% visual exhaust - I can only tell for SRBs, as for all other engines I use Waterfall)... Will these topics repaired?

Edited by Rakete

I have a minor bug when using the 'Maneuver Tool': the target selector will reset to 'The Mun' at various times, disrupting calculations .
Linux KSP version: 1.12.1.3142

But I've found a work-around and I thought I'd share in case somebody has the same problem:

1. Open 'Maneuver Tool'
  2. Select a Target other then 'The Mun' or your planned destination.
  3. Wait for the calculations to finish.
  4. Select your planned destination as Target.
  5. Wait for the calculations to finish.
  6. Click 'create Maneuver'.
  • A maneuver will be created to your selected destination; The 'Maneuver Tool' will STILL reset the destination to 'The Mun'.

On 7/25/2021 at 7:47 PM, The-Grim-Sleeper said:

I have a minor bug when using the 'Maneuver Tool': the target selector will reset to 'The Mun' at various times, disrupting calculations .
Linux KSP version: 1.12.1.3142

But I've found a work-around and I thought I'd share in case somebody has the same problem:

1. Open 'Maneuver Tool'
  2. Select a Target other then 'The Mun' or your planned destination.
  3. Wait for the calculations to finish.
  4. Select your planned destination as Target.
  5. Wait for the calculations to finish.
  6. Click 'create Maneuver'.
  • A maneuver will be created to your selected destination; The 'Maneuver Tool' will STILL reset the destination to 'The Mun'.

I suggest reporting it on the bug tracker but do note I get the impression that Squad is now on a skeleton crew now and most bugs that are recently submitted wont be fixed.

17 hours ago, Rakete said:

In 1.12.2 this annoying bug should be also in scope:

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/28375

It is really getting on my nerves.

I responded to this bug report. I couldn't replicate it. But I also think if this isn't fixed already by Squad in their internal prerelease of 1.12.2 I don't think it ever will be. 

On 7/20/2021 at 8:21 PM, Rakete said:

Will it contain fixes for drifting, wobbling of dockingports and a repair for the broken mk2 dockingport?

• Drifting I don't think so unless they add a variant for the docking ports that uses the old code
  • Wobbling will be countered with a locking ability to the docking ports that is being added to 1.12.2. (It wobbles exactly the same in 1.11.2 if I turn off the autostruts)
  • Broken mk2 docking port https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/28069 is confirmed by Squad as you know. So maybe.

The docking port drift is all I really care about now. If that isn't fixed I am going back to 1.11.2 permanently.

I have complicated crafts that wont work well with it drifting, but I wont be able to test it until the locking ability is added to be sure.

2 hours ago, Anth12 said:
  • Drifting I don't think so unless they add a variant for the docking ports that uses the old code

The docking port drift is all I really care about now. If that isn't fixed I am going back to 1.11.2 permanently.

I have complicated crafts that wont work well with it drifting, but I wont be able to test it until the locking ability is added to be sure.

Maybe this is also countered with upcoming autostrut repair on these parts. Remember, that you can't actuate robotic parts, that are autostruted to a part, that's on the other end of the moving part. Maybe this will be sorted out too....

I also have complex vehicles & very complex stations that do not like dockingdrifts around the docking axis - that's why i can not upgrade to 1.12. yet - Drifting, wobbling and the mk2 port are total showstoppers for me. (That's why my before mentioned bug report is still about 1.11.2, since I moved back to 1.11.2 - if it's fixed in 1.12 alright, but I can not test it right now)

@Just Jim or @JPLRepo

Can you confirm, that this Driftig will be fixed for 1.12.2 or .3, as this drift really interfers with player ability to build complex stations. Any E.T.A. on this, since it's about a month silence now.

Edited by Rakete

2 hours ago, Anth12 said:

I responded to this bug report. I couldn't replicate it. But I also think if this isn't fixed already by Squad in their internal prerelease of 1.12.2 I don't think it ever will be. 

re-commented with delivered craft.

6 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

Drift in robotics isn't countered by locking. Therefore drifting with docking ports will not be countered either

I didn't mean locking the servo, i meant autostrut it to somewhere. Either way, let's hope hope the squad team acts to fix it... This is a showstopper for builders of complex stations.

Having fireworks as trade-off for not having ships and stations that stay the same is no good trade. I wonder, when we get to hear something about it. Yes, parts of the team went on vacation... But almost one month of total silence ?!

Edited by Rakete

Agreed, its a showstopper for anything complicated.

I get the impression that robotic drift and rotating docking port drift is too difficult to fix (would have to throw too much money at it)

So all I want is to have a docking port variant that works as it did pre 1.12.

7 hours ago, Anth12 said:

Agreed, its a showstopper for anything complicated.

I get the impression that robotic drift and rotating docking port drift is too difficult to fix (would have to throw too much money at it)

So all I want is to have a docking port variant that works as it did pre 1.12.

Easiest way to do this (to my mind) is to tie the locking button  to reenabling the old code. Unlocking reenables the new wobbly drifty rotation-able code... Something like this should be pretty easy, if the code is no spaghetti :D

Target Use Case in my head:

Dock, rotate to align properly with help of new code, press lock and the old code takes over - fixed position, no drift and no wobble. (Cupcake cherry on top: A nice clamp sound upon lock activation.)

Honestly: I would rather have no rotational feature instead of drifting, wobbling (all) or broken (mk2) ports. For me 1.12.1 is currently a real downgrade. In Germany we have a word for this: "kaputtreparieren" (oxymoron), means to break something even worse on the try to fix something. translated word by word it would mean to breakrepair :-) The docking ports were breakrepaired in 1.12... Somehow I ask myself, how could this not be noticed in testing?! Do the testers not have fun playing KSP in a way, that is more then just docking two micro ships?

For me KSP fun starts, where things get complex... Ships, Stations....

Imagine what happens to this station with drifting and wobbling: Yeah, you get it... It will break, and/or will drift to get really really ugly...

mRJfQlO.jpg

Edited by Rakete

That station looks incredible

I would like all the docking ports in existing saves to be the old ones. Then use the rotating ones when I choose.

The rotating ones have a good function of blocking heaviest autostruts from crafts with wheels/legs that can cause kraken strikes.

I would only use rotating docking ports on space stations, and only for the locked heaviest parted parts

Drift is minimal in space if I respect the Kraken

14 hours ago, Anth12 said:

That station looks incredible

This station in the picture was constructed in 8 or 10 super heavy launches and uses Nertea's NF- and stationparts expansion mod packages and is my primary lab in LKO (built in KSP 1.11.2, which is already nastily bug-plagued). I tend to autostrut almost everything using the grandfather part mode, as it evenly struts everything to near parts. I have made good experiences with this (doesnt summon the kraken). To my mind grandfather mode should be the standard setting for autostruts. Only at dockingports i tend to strut to heaviest part or some other mode. i made best experiences with short autostrut distances. (Sometimes I use the F-12 menue to visualize  the autostrutsituation, if I am too confused on a big space station. By the way: The visualization of all active autostruts should not be hidden F-12 menue and deserves a button in the game, as it is no cheat.)

Such stations are not possible without proper autostruting and drifting prohibition.

@St4rdust @Just Jim

Please, dear squad team , remove the actual showstoppers in 1.12.1:

• Please fix drifting of dockingports
  • Please fix wobbling of docking ports
  • Please repair the misaligned mk2 dockingport. 
  • Please repair the broken engine sounds.

I dare to wish for something more: Please talk to us. It's silent since few weeks.

Edited by Rakete

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.