Autonomous Kerbals

Hi, 

I think it would be great if Kerbals moved around and performed activities without direct player control. This way we could have multiple Kerbals performing activities, making the game feel less 'dead' than KSP1.

A good way to implement this would be to build upon the nav-ball skill system, so if a Kerbal pilot / engineer has a lot of experience, you could 'assign' them an EVA role while drifting through space, click on a part to repair (for example), and they would exit the vehicle and fly over, repair and re-enter autonomously. The same could be done for planting flags, collecting surface samples etc.

I'm very much in favour of Kerbals having some autonomy. I would love automated flag planting image landing say 100's kerbals on the mun having them all walk out form a big circle around the craft then on cue plant a big ring of flags.

I'm sure there are a 100 more practical uses but.... who really wants to dwell on those.

Could do queue orders like drones have in Surviving Mars? "Okay Bob, I need you to check that goo, run that materials test, and double check our temperature before returning to the hab... and in the meantime I'm gonna go rove around here with Bill and Jeb :D" 

I feel on fence about it, on the one hand, it could help in areas like colony maintenance and resource gathering, on the other hand I don't want the game playing itself.

Just wondering if you could elaborate on the 'feel less dead' part? Simple animations in windows could suffice for that, couldn't it? Or are you thinking more like Sims? Which to be honest, doesn't particularly appeal to me

• 2 weeks later...

I would just want them to move around the ship /station instead of sitting in place. Move to the eating place to eat, the artificial gravity place to exercise, even bounce around the interior if they don't strap in a seat in time.

This could be an toggle button that clears kerbals to move around or warn them to rush to their seats when you want to fire engines. It would be fun to abuse this by causing kerbals to bounce around the interior or leave them hanging off the side of the craft!

Anything that allows using kerbals for role-playing would be fun and is an opportunity for the developers to bring more life into the game.

Edited by Spartan Hoplite

1 hour ago, Spartan Hoplite said:

Anything that allows using kerbals for role-playing would be fun and is an opportunity for the developers to bring more life into the game.

It could be interesting in small doses or special places like spacestations, but it should default where everyone is where they need to be, regardless of craft switching. It may also detract too much from the main objective of just building and flying craft.

I feel certain once my game is going good, I will easily have over 100 missions running at a time, I would hate to switch between them and come back to one where the mission fails because I forgot to buckle Jeb up.

On 7/1/2021 at 6:34 PM, James M said:

Could do queue orders like drones have in Surviving Mars? "Okay Bob, I need you to check that goo, run that materials test, and double check our temperature before returning to the hab... and in the meantime I'm gonna go rove around here with Bill and Jeb :D" 

this would be great, but another idea is to queue orders to get some kerbals to build bases all by themselves which would be cool, convenient and awesome when used with EVA construction mode and possibily some kind of mod that has inflatable base parts (pathfinder, mks?) Also, it would remove the need to spend hours evaing kerbals to build stuff or repair stuff, as i once tried building a IKEA style “packed” base  in a huge container with KIS (before 1.11 came out) and then regretted it because assembling large structures on eva by hand is time consuming and prone to kraken attacks, but if you can make kerbals build bases autonomously or even in the background (not focused/flying this mission) so there would be more time to return to the space center vab and build something totally worthwhile like attempting to land jeb on the surface of jool and plant a flag there and return without summoning the kraken. (10345th time lucky right?)