• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Nate Simpson if my understanding is correct could the devs add another layer in unity for IVA and walking and or floating exploring internally a ship or base? also would you mind adding both 1st and 3rd person cameras during IVA exploration? And could you guys make a couple of interactive IVA props so the framework is there and the modders could take over from there as far as making and populating the IVA parts inventory? I would like to see this framework in place during initial development as it would be harder to add it later in game i would think. 

Edited by Redneck

On 11/13/2021 at 6:56 PM, Redneck said:

make a couple of interactive IVA props so the framework is there and the modders could take over from there as far as making and populating the IVA parts inventory?

this

Its one thing to have an interior of my ship rendered, its another to allow me to fly around my own ship's interior and somehow take into account all the part-clipped modules, while still having a sensible ship design externally and internally.

However, it seems like having enough information in IVA mode to have an immersive experience flying my ship could be an incredible selling point for VR and "hard mode" players.  KSP 1 provided some bare minimum features available to all capsules, but there's a lot of potential for expansion. 

Even something as simple as a moddable interface like RPM, with the existing utilities available in "3D mode" being available in a multi functional display on all capsules would make the game technically "fully flyable" from IVA mode without mods. 

I can only imagine the awesomeness of taking a ship from the ground, to orbit, through interstellar space, and seeing the vast orbital bodies from the capsule window all without leaving VR mode inside of a capsule. That is the sorta awe inspiring awesomeness that should be in this game stock ;D

On 11/15/2021 at 2:50 PM, TheSameKerbal77 said:

I can just imagine being thrown around the ship during re-entry or RUD

Or????? You could just enter a seat and not be thrown around

On 11/22/2021 at 6:49 PM, t_v said:

This sounds really cool, but can someone post a link to any spot where a KSP 2 dev mentioned VR? I'm not sure it is actually planned or even potentially planned as of now. 

Unity “builds” or compiles code  to VR just like UE4/UE5 does. Wouldnt take that much more work to set up the keymappings for user VR inputs then rebuild it out. What i mean by all this is they dont have rewrite the game or anything. I was playing around in unity just last night. I have a lil planet game i made with a earth and sun and the XR2 from orbiter. Went down to the surface from orbit then i decided to see if it would build in VR or android and it did. Took forever for the shaders to compile but yeah wasnt nothing to it really . KSP2 in VR is TOTALLY doable imo and that in combination with this extra IVA layer and WOW what a game ksp2 could be huh? Add a lil camera shake on launch or during high g’s ……..man i could go on and on

Edited by Redneck

2 hours ago, Redneck said:

Or????? You could just enter a seat and not be thrown around

Unity “builds” or compiles code  to VR just like UE4/UE5 does. Wouldnt take that much more work to set up the keymappings for user VR inputs then rebuild it out. What i mean by all this is they dont have rewrite the game or anything. I was playing around in unity just last night. I have a lil planet game i made with a earth and sun and the XR2 from orbiter. Went down to the surface from orbit then i decided to see if it would build in VR or android and it did. Took forever for the shaders to compile but yeah wasnt nothing to it really . KSP2 in VR is TOTALLY doable imo and that in combination with this extra IVA layer and WOW what a game ksp2 could be huh? Add a lil camera shake on launch or during high g’s ……..man i could go on and on

VR would be amazing