Threads of the month: July 2021

adsii1970

The KSP forum moderator's team presents the
Threads of the Month
July 2021 Edition

5A7INPb.png?1

Salutations and well-wishes to all!

Today marks the beginning of July and as we get ready to put June in the past, let's take a moment to thank the staff at @SQUAD for the hard work, dedication, and camaraderie they've given to all of us armchair astronauts, cosmonauts, and Kerbalnauts! I began voluntarily beta testing games in the 1990s when Maxis was was cranking up the SimCity 2K and 3000. I can share with you I have never seen such a community as we have here with Kerbal Space Program. It's rare you find the programmers, producers, game beta testers, and community managers so active in the forums of the gaming community. As major developments on Kerbal Space Program (the original) comes to and end after ten years, we look forward to seeing what the next generation of Kerbal Space Program (KSP2) brings! But most of all, I want to thank you, the forum community, Squad, and the rest of the moderation team for allowing me to give back to our community.

To continue a thing I started last month about the forum and new members as a way to answer the fears some folks had about the forum dying. In June, there were 142 new forum accounts created.  Of those, 78 have actively posted content (defined as having at least one post). This means that roughly 54.9% of the new user accounts are actively participating on the forum. If you're interested in seeing the new members to our forum, you can click here! As we get closer to the KSP2 launch date and more people become aware of the new chapter of the franchise, you can expect to see the forum to continue to grow and evolve.

So, before I get into the threads of the month for July, I ask that as you visit the forum this month, you help make it easier for me to do the August Thread of the Month and nominate worthy threads by using the handy instructions at the bottom of this post. Now, without further delay, I present to you the threads of the month for July:

General community threads of the month:
This category features a thread that adds to the community and doesn't fit in the game support/game mod categories. This month, we have two threads who are recognized for this category:

There are a lot of us who have been playing Kerbal Space Program for a long time. And no one forgets what version they first tried to play. For me, I came across a free demo in the Steam store for this new "green light game" recommended because of the other games I play. For me, it was the 0.18 demo. From that first rocket launch and subsequent crash into the VAB (Jeb survived!) I was hooked! After ten hours of straight playing the demo, I decided to buy 0.22 - the "newest" and up to date version of KSP. So, what version did you start with? And how does it rate to what we have now in 1.12? We're grateful to @Rhode_Enterprise_By-Matt for starting this thread and we recognize his contribution to the forum with being one of this month's Threads of the Month!

Game Support/Game Mod of the Month:
This category features a mod (or mods) which adds to the quality of life game play of Kerbal Space Program. For July, we have two mods that tied for the top honor in this category:

Many of us feel there simply are not enough planets to visit in the stock system. If you're like me and you grew up reading science fiction of every sort, watching every science fiction movie (even the bad ones), or spent hours watching shows like NOVA or Cosmos, I simply cannot get enough to explore! Well, if you fall into that category, like me, and you want to add something a bit new to the Kerbol system, then why not give this planet pack by @Maple Kerman a try. While it is not an entire solar system, it does add a planet and moons in an orbit between Duna and Dres.

At first, I wasn't sure what category of Threads of the Month this nominated thread should fall under. The beginning of the thread provides an introduction of NASA's Apollo program but - Kerbalized! But towards the end of the post, @tehmattguy provides download links to where you can get all the craft he has designed that were a part of the historic NASA missions of the Apollo program. He has spent a lot of time building high-quality Kerbalized replicas. There's also a lot of historical detail paid to the explanation behind each of the Apollo missions - another reason I had a hard time figuring out which category - either mission report or game support - to classify this entry for July's threads of the month.

Forum Member Created Challenges and Missions:   gibioWC.gif

This is a new category we are adding to the Threads of the Month. For the past few years, we have seen a lot of really good missions and challenges threads created that expand our fun with the game and presses our skills, creativity, and sometimes, luck, beyond what we get accustomed to. Let's face it, we all have our go-to design basics, our go-to Kermen, and even our go-to vehicles we like to use. So sometimes a good challenge can cause us to think of another way to achieve our goals.

Most everyone has enjoyed the newest addition to the parts we have in the game. What no one was expecting was that this last release would add fireworks to the game. Maybe you've missed the announcement of the newest update, "Kerbal Space Program 1.12: On Final Approach is Now Available," and maybe you've not updated your current game. Anyhow, it didn't take long for @cubinator to think up a neat challenge to cause us to really abuse :blush: uh, I mean, use these new parts! ;)

Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Threads of the Month:
This category features a thread (or threads) which while is not directly Kerbal Space Program related, may be a creative work, fan-fiction, or other presentation which is related to the game.

We'd like to thank @Janderklander for this touching tribute to the Kerbal Space Program community that made the last ten years possible.  If you want to get a good overview of the changes of the last ten years and the possibilities of the game, then please take a moment to watch this video.

If you have a video you have made of your KSP endeavors and you want to share it, please do so! Post a link to your video in the mission reports area and maybe your video will be nominated and considered for the next thread of the month!

We have a second mission report for this month that has earned the title of Thread of the Month. It's written by @jimmymcgoochie and is told from a perspective of a brave Kerbalnaut. If you enjoy reading how other people imagine their world of Kermen, their space program, and like to see in-game screen shots, then give this fan fiction based on one of your favorite games a try!

As you can see, we also had another thread earn the recognition of being one of July's threads of the month in this category. This thread, by @Kuiper_Belt, focuses on recreating historic space shuttle (STS) missions and expanding the use of the shuttle system to include some fictional but probable shuttle missions. The introduction to the thread sums it all up nicely:

Like many others I love The Space Shuttle, mods and Kerbal Space Program,  what else could you do but mix all 3 ? That's what I'm doing. A while ago on the subreddit, I did something similar surrounding the ISS. I want to continue that but also expand into other reality based and fictional shuttle missions, adventures if you will.  The goal of this whole thing is to use Kerbal Space Program and a large amount of fantastic mods from this community to give everyone a unique vantage point of The Space Shuttle, her missions, their payloads, and hopefully enjoy the wonders and beauty of space and space exploration.

Honorable mentions:

Each month we get so many good nominations to choose from. Sometimes it's a challenge to choose which threads are going to receive the honor of being the Thread of the Month. But because not every thread nominated each month can be selected, there are always those that become honorable mentions. The honorable mentions for July 2021 are:

4TSNPeSwWN-2.png

Note: We didn't have very many threads nominated for Threads of the Month for this month. So, every thread nominated was used!

Honorable mentions for July may not have made the Thread of The Month this month, but if you think they might be worthy of another opportunity, please renominate it!

Congratulations to all the winners of the Thread of the Month for July! We'd like to thank @Kerbal Productions@Superfluous J@Admiral Fluffy, and the members of the moderation team who nominated this month's contenders. Thank you so much for helping us identify noteworthy threads for this month!

TO NOMINATE  A THREAD FOR CONSIDERATION: If you find a thread you feel should be considered for next month's thread of the month, then use the "report comment" feature (the three dots on the upper right corner of the comment box) to report the comment. Please put in the text field of the report post "Nomination for thread of the month" and we will do the rest! You can always nominate more than one thread, too.

In case you missed June's threads of the month, you can click here.

Oh shoot it's July forgot to nominate

But in all seriousness, I am very glad @Maple Kerman's Helvica pack get's attention. It's really well made, I played with it, it's definitely five star quality

2 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I did!

Thanks for the TOTM, whoever nominated Audacity just got themselves a cameo ;)

:cool:

i already got my cameo as free hospital food

and i think i just fabricated a memory of nominating audacity, brain goes funky sometimes

Thanks for the award! I'm surprised to hear that my mod made the Mod of the Month category.
While I think I did a good job, I think there are a few other recent planet mods out there that deserve just as much attention.
Just to name a few:

These are all fantastic planet packs that are arguably better than mine, so go play them! However, I'll gladly take the TOTM.

On 7/1/2021 at 5:17 PM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

But in all seriousness, I am very glad @Maple Kerman's Helvica pack get's attention. It's really well made, I played with it, it's definitely five star quality

I'm flattered!

Edited by Maple Kerman

Wow, I'm very glad that I was nominated for TOTM! My thread has recently received a ton more responses, so thank you!  The idea of "celebrating" old KSP versions became important to me with the final KSP update celebrating 10 Years. I never expected this thread to be a TOTM, so thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.