KSP 2 Suggestions and ideas

Hey guys! 

First off thank you putting the little gem that is KSP into my life. I cannot count the amount of hours I've played it but I can say that a game clearly doesn't need the best graphics, it just needs real community input and love built into it which is what KSP is to me. I've honestly had some dark periods in life and KSP has helped me get better so thanks you amazing human beings behind KSP 

Secondly I wanted to offer some suggestions and ideas for KSP 2 that I hope you guys find interesting! 

-Movable, controllable Kerbals in IVA e.g being able to say take control of a kerbal and actually freely walk around inside a base, explore a station, etc

-Actually giving kerbals automatic routines to make them look busy kinda like the Sims if they are doing EVA's, etc like growing plants in a greenhouse, furiously tapping away at a computer in zero-g while poor old Jeb floats off into deep space which brings me to...

-TEATHERS! That way kerbals can use a cable to keep themselves attached to e.g Stations without fear of flying off into the void

-Procedural fuel tanks and structural pieces

-A tutorial or something similar giving players an understanding of how to establish interplanetary infrastructure to e.g support bases and colonies like where to put fuel depots, etc 

-Exosuits      

-Space weather 

-Integrating KerbalX into KSP 2 so console players can download other people's designs

Seriously though thank you for taking the time to read this, I really do appreciate it, sending much love and many hugs to you all 

45 minutes ago, JarinLM said:

Movable, controllable Kerbals in IVA e.g being able to say take control of a kerbal and actually freely walk around inside a base, explore a station, etc

This has been suggested before. Odds are that it isn't going to happen.

47 minutes ago, JarinLM said:

Actually giving kerbals automatic routines to make them look busy kinda like the Sims if they are doing EVA's, etc like growing plants in a greenhouse, furiously tapping away at a computer in zero-g while poor old Jeb floats off into deep space which brings me to...

Are you talking about while on EVA or IVA? On EVA, there has been suggestions made. Around the KSC and colonies on favorable planets. I can see Kerbals wandering around. In harsh environments, it wouldn't make sense unless they actually have a task to do outside. With EVA missions, it's probably a bad idea. You wouldn't want to always corral your Kerbals because they start wandering off. In IVA it would make sense to have the Kerbals appear busy in their seats.

57 minutes ago, JarinLM said:

TEATHERS! That way kerbals can use a cable to keep themselves attached to e.g Stations without fear of flying off into the void

Yes please. :D

58 minutes ago, JarinLM said:

Procedural fuel tanks and structural pieces

That has been all but ruled out. The best we can hope for is automatic fuel switching and maybe adjustable tank lengths.

1 hour ago, JarinLM said:

A tutorial or something similar giving players an understanding of how to establish interplanetary infrastructure to e.g support bases and colonies like where to put fuel depots, etc 

Considering that they are making tutorials for all other aspects of the game, I think this would actually happen.

Exosuits

Are talking like power armor, Ironman suit, or a powered frame?

Space weather

Not in the Kerbol system. But who knows what they have planned for the new star systems.

Integrating KerbalX into KSP 2 so console players can download other people's designs

That would be cool for the console users. But unfortunately, KerbalX is a fan run site like Spacedock. If Intercept set something along those lines up not using one of the commercial gaming sites out there. I'm sure it would be welcomed by the community.

Also, welcome to the forums.

9 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

That has been all but ruled out. The best we can hope for is automatic fuel switching and maybe adjustable tank lengths..

I'm sorry, but when was this ruled out? We have procedural wings, whats wrong with procedural tank lengths? If we go by the old tech tree of KSP1, you could still make it make sense by capping the height and width limits of the fuel tanks, rather than giving a new part.

13 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

I'm sorry, but when was this ruled out? We have procedural wings, whats wrong with procedural tank lengths? If we go by the old tech tree of KSP1, you could still make it make sense by capping the height and width limits of the fuel tanks, rather than giving a new part.

Just because they added procedural wings doesn't mean they will be adding any other procedural parts. (Possibly maybe fairings.) The moment they add true procedural tanks, they will lose the Lego like feeling for building crafts. They may as will be making an advanced version of Simple Rockets.

Just now, shdwlrd said:

Just because they added procedural wings doesn't mean they will be adding any other procedural parts. (Possibly maybe fairings.) The moment they add true procedural tanks, they will lose the Lego like feeling for building crafts. They may as will be making an advanced version of Simple Rockets.

I don't agree, because I've seen a few procedural parts mods since 1.0 and they don't remotely play like an advanced(or really similar) version of Simple Rockets 2.

I wasn't advocating for it, mind you. I don't like when those types of mods are added, unless they're solely to fill a gap that needed serious filling, like a fueled 0.65 to 8m(or something like that) diameter adapter.  I was just curious about how and when it was ruled out, if officially stated.

11 hours ago, JarinLM said:

First off thank you putting the little gem that is KSP into my life. I cannot count the amount of hours I've played it but I can say that a game clearly doesn't need the best graphics, it just needs real community input and love built into it which is what KSP is to me. I've honestly had some dark periods in life and KSP has helped me get better so thanks you amazing human beings behind KSP

I'm glad that KSP has helped you out. With that said, it's a game built in a very old engine. With how far tech has come (real time ray-tracing, real time up-scaling), using a new engine could make this game look inconceivably great. Those feature videos look night and day better than it does in the current game. Something as small as the moon reflecting light makes the landscape almost real.

9 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

This has been suggested before. Odds are that it isn't going to happen.

Why wouldn't this happen? I haven't seen the other posts, but imagine having an indoor racetrack on Duna. Differences in Gravity would seemingly make it difficult if you were coming from Kerbin, but that's the fun in it.

Honestly all the stuff I really badly want is already coming. but if I would have to choose Life support would be nice (kerbals have to eat, drink, breathe. the whole shebang). and more customization for kerbals (I mean, who doesn't want to have a kerbal that looks like you :D)

2 hours ago, Linky said:

Why wouldn't this happen? I haven't seen the other posts, but imagine having an indoor racetrack on Duna. Differences in Gravity would seemingly make it difficult if you were coming from Kerbin, but that's the fun in it.

It would be a huge investment of time with very limited game play value. Honestly, after the 1st few times visiting the inside view, would you continue using that function? Probably not.

KSP1 has 21 parts that can hold/transfer crew. KSP2 will be adding an unknown amount of crewed craft and colony parts. (About a dozen or so buildings have been shown already. Their sizes range from small industrial buildings to huge multi story housing/office/special use type buildings.) The craft parts would have IVA's. Those are kind of expected. Buildings on the hand is a different beast. The devs would basically have to setup apartment, office, and industrial complexs. In RL, it takes years to setup just one building, the devs will have to do several. It's not worth the time to do so.

19 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

It would be a huge investment of time with very limited game play value. Honestly, after the 1st few times visiting the inside view, would you continue using that function? Probably not.

Doesn't matter, all glass is transparent. The most recent interviews confirmed that all IVA are exposed constantly, unlike KSP 1.

Edited by Missingno200
Trimmed for better read

3 hours ago, Missingno200 said:

I was just curious about how and when it was ruled out, if officially stated.

It was never officially said, but it be against their goals for the game. One of the things the devs want to do is keep the craft building process as simple as possible. Lego like mind you. Making full procedural parts is a huge step away from that. Wings are the exception, it's easier to make different wing shapes with procedural parts than fixed block shapes. (Like how real Lego wings are a pita to make.)

The other reason is the true scale of the crafts you will be able to make. We're talking about part sizes from 1.5m to 15+m diameter structural and fuel parts with some the are about 100m in diameter. (Documented) Remember, sky scraper sized craft. You don't want to do procedural with that range in sizes.

5 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

It was never officially said, but it be against their goals for the game. One of the things the devs want to do is keep the craft building process as simple as possible. Lego like mind you. Making full procedural parts is a huge step away from that. Wings are the exception, it's easier to make different wing shapes with procedural parts than fixed block shapes. (Like how real Lego wings are a pita to make.

Thats fair, I suppose, although others have tried to counter this themselves. I'm in agreement.