Elon asking for help

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has seen the recent news report that Elon Musk has asked the developers of KSP for help with "what SpaceX might be doing wrong" when it comes for colonization of Mars (or something to that effect).

I didn't know which subforum to place this in, but I just wanted to know what everyone thought about it

Edited by Philae_Rosetta2021

5 hours ago, Philae_Rosetta2021 said:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has seen the recent news report that Elon Musk has asked the developers of KSP for help with "what SpaceX might be doing wrong" when it comes for colonization of Mars (or something to that effect).

I didn't know which subforum to place this in, but I just wanted to know what everyone thought about it

I think he's just joking around, anyways if he was serious there isn't any way the US gov will hand him uranium. Spacex has decent reputation but it's not a heritage company. I also don't trust him with that stuff either, his design and testing philosophy is kinda reckless. 

Also this could be posted in the science and spaceflight section.

Would be helpful to post an actual link:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1410525535147601924

What are we doing wrong at SpaceX? You probably have some good ideas.

The fundamental optimization for making life multiplanetary & backing up the biosphere is cost per ton to the surface of Mars.

What system achieves that best?  -- @elonmusk

Edited by swjr-swis
added the relevant quote

Elon is our time's Howard Hughes, who was an enigmatic figure who changed multiple industries of their time. 

Elon is replying to 3D model for a game on twitter, and asking about how to improve his space company so they can create a multiplanetary species. 

If it wasn't Elon Musk, it would be a joke. At the same time because its Elon Musk it probably is a joke

I don't want KSP developers busy trying to solve Elon's mission making humanity multiplanetary, I want them to finish KSP 2 so I can play it. Leave the far out ideas to Elon, leave the Kerbals alone please. 

2 minutes ago, Slyguy3129 said:

Don't we help him enough through tax dollars?

Uh... it should be pointed out that there may not be enough workers for the job. NASA still has their own stuff to work on independent of Elon's ambitions. He may also be trying to get two generations that were NOT interested in becoming astronauts(millennial and early mid-late Z) to... yknow, become interested. I'm not entirely sure what he needs help with but you have to understand one company can't do everything.

17 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

Uh... it should be pointed out that there may not be enough workers for the job. NASA still has their own stuff to work on independent of Elon's ambitions. He may also be trying to get two generations that were NOT interested in becoming astronauts(millennial and early mid-late Z) to... yknow, become interested. I'm not entirely sure what he needs help with but you have to understand one company can't do everything.

What does that have to do with the fact that the entire country is already subsidizing his company?

Just now, Slyguy3129 said:

What does that have to do with the fact that the entire country is already subsidizing his company?

You cant solve every problem with money, you have to solve a large majority with cooperation with other entities. 

6 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

You cant solve every problem with money, you have to solve a large majority with cooperation with other entities. 

Well then I suggest he stop trying to reinvent the wheel. We know what works and we know what doesn't. The Space Race was 60 years ago. It's all laid out there.

13 minutes ago, Slyguy3129 said:

Well then I suggest he stop trying to reinvent the wheel. We know what works and we know what doesn't. The Space Race was 60 years ago. It's all laid out there.

And do what? Sit on Earth? Ignore the second part of the space race, which was meant to be Mars before the USSR collapsed? I fail to see your reasoning for him to give up his ambitions.

Also, he isn't the only one "reinventing the wheel", except this one is literal.

Edited by Missingno200
Lmao I just remembered this company reinventing the wheel.

8 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

And do what? Sit on Earth? Ignore the second part of the space race, which was meant to be Mars before the USSR collapsed? I fail to see your reasoning for him to give up his ambitions.

I'm never said give up, where are you getting that idea from?:lol: I'm saying stop making the same mistakes the early space race made by hyper focusing on SSTOs and reusable vehicles.

We literally know what works, we went to the Moon with them multiple times. It's so stupid simple. But he seems wholly against that.

Which is my only other complaint other than the subsidizing.

He keeps focusing on a failed design and screams at the sky why does the design fail. I like the guy, he seems alright, but sometimes smart people are super stupid.:unsure:

Oh Lord!:lol: That poor thing fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Edited by Slyguy3129
The video

10 minutes ago, Slyguy3129 said:

I'm never said give up, where are you getting that idea from?:lol: I'm saying stop making the same mistakes the early space race made by hyper focusing on SSTOs and reusable vehicles.

We literally know what works, we went to the Moon with them multiple times. It's so stupid simple. But he seems wholly against that.

He keeps focusing on a failed design and screams at the sky why does the design fail. I like the guy, he seems alright, but sometimes smart people are super stupid.:unsure:

Oh Lord!:lol: That poor thing fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

I mean, except the fact that, according to statistics, the 9 and Heavy are far more cost effective than the Proton, and are working just fine.

As for the ugly, if it works but looks like its stupid, it's not :p

Still couldve done a bit more for the cool factor...

1 minute ago, Missingno200 said:

I mean, except the fact that, according to statistics, the 9 and Heavy are far more cost effective than the Proton, and are working just fine.

As for the ugly, if it works but looks like its stupid, it's not :p

Still couldve done a bit more for the cool factor...

If they are working just fine, why does he need help?:unsure:

What sort of tonnage are they lifting? What have the vehicles put into space? When will they be manned? What's the date for walking on Mars?

I don't follow his news religiously, but the repeated failures are becoming a joke, or a meme or whatever the kids called captioned photos these days.:lol:

So long as he focuses on SSTOs, he's not going to get very far. Quite literally sadly.:unsure:

I don't understand why he's so against staging. Because someone else made it work?

52 minutes ago, Slyguy3129 said:

If they are working just fine, why does he need help?:unsure:

What sort of tonnage are they lifting? What have the vehicles put into space? When will they be manned? What's the date for walking on Mars?

I don't follow his news religiously, but the repeated failures are becoming a joke, or a meme or whatever the kids called captioned photos these days.:lol:

So long as he focuses on SSTOs, he's not going to get very far. Quite literally sadly.:unsure:

I don't understand why he's so against staging. Because someone else made it work?

Okay, I'm going to address something glaring here that kind of proves you should study a bit more before you continue. All of his vessels, including his planned 2026 martian vessel, the Starship, are NOT SSTOs. They're all 2 stage to orbit, while recovering the first stage, like a reverse space shuttle. The exception is the Falcon Heavy, which actually is 3 stages and recovers the first two. Additionally, the constant failures are seen because SpaceX applies rapid prototyping and testing to failure principles. A failure isn't truly a failure, just a part of the protocol to get all of the information they need for the next prototype.

With that being said, he's notnagainst staging. He's against wasting the rocket itself. The vehicles themselves have put a lot into space. For example, right now, SpaceX is the only US launch provider capable(and consistently) putting astronauts on the ISS. Additionally, they don't just put astronauts into space, as they're one of the cheapest launch providers. Ignoring the SH/SS combo in prototype, the operational cost for the 9 is 28 million for a lifting capacity of 22.8K kg per launch to LEO if you recover the 1st stage. I won't go into the Heavy because I couldn't find operational cost, but its clear to see that the 9, which has had a total of 67 launches with recovered boosters, is not a bad idea.

Hes not the only one recovering these rockets by the ways, smaller companies like Electron and Blue Origin are also recovering their rockets as much as possible to reduce costs. 

In this environment, in all likelihood, he's looking for others to inspire space to gain more manpower. KSP1 has done a far better job than the new space race to interest my generation and my brother's generation to space again. Before KSP, became popular I remember many people wanting to be celebrities, or world class chefs, nothing with those professions mind you,, but the notion of astronaut or rocket scientist was honestly frowned upon greatly. Even I didn't like the idea.

I advise you to please do more research before you argue a standpoint. I've made that mistake in the past multiple times, and every time, it sucks.

Edited by Missingno200
Forgot 2nd to last paragraph.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

First of all, the Space-X crew should be half-sized and green.

No-no, let's nuke the elephant in the room right away.

Project ORION, or you're doing it wrong.

8 hours ago, Slyguy3129 said:

Neither does Spacex hyperfocus on SSTO (none of their orbital lauch vehicles, existing or anounced, are SSTO), nor did the 60's space race hyperfocus on reusable vehicles (which proved themselves to work quite well, if I might say so).

Also, a quick google search for Spacex subsides comes up with only the ones related to Starlink, or more precisely, the act of bringing broadband internet service to rural areas, something that was available to all internet service providers, yet there wasn't much interest in providing it. Spacex saw a market that wasn't being serviced and jumped in. Nothing to complain about here.

You are running out of reasons to complain.

26 minutes ago, Kerb Your Enthusiasm said:

Is there a way to block this thread so that it doesn't show up in my 'All activity' section? Thanks!

You have only 1 option that I know of, and that's to remove S&S from your the forums you're watching, save that feed, and then view it instead of "All activity." I do it with a bookmark to the saved feed. That bookmark is how I visit the forums.

Or you could wait 3 days and like 99% of the threads on this forum it'll probably go away.

Edited by Superfluous J