ASE Sehnsucht-class - Experimental Orion Drive craft (Stock)

asb4Wnj.jpeg

Hello,

After watching the latest videos by VAOS where he shows of an exploit in the new fireworks added to the 1.12 update that enables us to make an Orion drive in-game without mods I was very excited and wanted to try it out for myself. For those who don’t know about the Orion drive (Who doesn't?). It’s basically an insane idea from the 50s about propelling a (huge) spacecraft by detonating (small) nuclear bombs and riding the resulting shock wave on huge shock dampeners. Well I like big crafts so that would fit right in with the ASE line up.

I recommend watching the aforementioned VAOS video if you want to know how to do this exploit. It is rather finicky, so it can be a bit tricky to find the right balance between just spilling some of Jeb’s coffee and vaporising the entire spacecraft. I recommend first building the craft and tune the “drive” afterwards. That being said, once you find that right balance it’s as reliable as any in-game engine. Here's a video of it in action. The Sehnsucht-class is meant as an in-space transport but it actually works in-atmosphere too. The lag from the fireworks is however so extreme that the game basically becomes unplayable after five or so detonations. The craft is basically taunting the Kraken by it's very existence after all so it's not surprising that some strange behavior is observed. (Another weird thing is that the (conventional) engine noise does not die down if you press X)

More images:

Spoiler

0ZcYj1V.png

ar9uXxy.png

TdFwGrK.png

ccenmUK.png

ezWY9Aw.png

Features:

• dV is a meaningless concept for this craft as infinite propellant (fireworks) is required for it to work.
  • TWR to get you on an escape trajectory out of the Kerbol system within minutes.
  • Conventional engines for if you don’t want to blow up the other craft in a docking maneuver.
  • Small cargo bay to dock a small shuttle craft (seen in the GIF above)
  • Two counter rotating gravity wheels
  • Space for up to 26 crew
  • Total disregard for any nuclear test ban treaties

Download:

A craft file can be downloaded here on my KerbalX page. As with all my crafts the Sehnsucht-class is fully stock (+DLC). Note: this craft requires infinite propellant (infinite electricity optional) to work properly.

Edited by CSX6400

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Late reply but the drive is actually quite stable once you tune it right. In it's current form I haven't had any weird explosions or other kraken effects show up.

The infinite propellant is required as the firework canisters have a max of 32 shots which isn't enough to give a ship this big any meaningful deltaV.

Here's a little clip of the drive in action:

https://i.imgur.com/WLaeAGE.mp4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.