Basically a hollow planet where only the crust remains, with huge holes showing a black hole in the middle? Reason for said black hole would be an ancient civilization accidentally created it.

I think by now, probably all of the planets to be released with the game will have already been decided on. But it would be neat to fly through the gravity center of a body somehow. 

Because this game has interstellar features, its possible for the team to create and release DLCs with more star systems. Because of this I feel like more planets/bodies can always be on the table, unless the team specifically doesn't want to focus on such.

At the same time, I wonder what it would take to add a visually correct black hole into the game. Nevermind how it would interact, or if it were to exist within a hollow planet. Oh I can feel the kraken really messing with such a planet. Also... can I get time dilation when near the black hole??? I guess adding such a feature would open up a large can of worms beyond just the incredible gravity.

Edited by MKI

Hollow Planets are not possible, or at least in the way you're describing with planet-wide cave systems and what not. It would have to be a Gilly or Minmus sized moon for this to even theoretically make any sense.

Edited by NXDIAZ

On 7/3/2021 at 3:53 AM, funnelton said:

Basically a hollow planet where only the crust remains, with huge holes showing a black hole in the middle? Reason for said black hole would be an ancient civilization accidentally created it.

Let's keep Brittle Hollow in Outer Wilds where it belongs, shall we?

On 7/6/2021 at 10:34 AM, NXDIAZ said:

Hollow Planets are not possible, or at least in the way you're describing with planet-wide cave systems and what not. It would have to be a Gilly or Minmus sized moon for this to even theoretically make any sense.

There definitely couldn't be a black hole in the middle either, but I really like the idea of having a low-gravity body with big voids inside it!

On 7/2/2021 at 9:53 PM, funnelton said:

Basically a hollow planet

This would be impossible to make with just a single 2D height map. Maybe the developers could use very large, thin terrain scatters with collision enabled to create the "crust" of the planet and leave holes in the ground for the player to enter through. Unfortunately, exploring the core of the hollow planet would be impossible for the same reason you can't explore the core of Jool. 

Technically, all KSP planets are a blade-thin quasispherical crust with an empty space inside, with a zero-size black hole in center, due to division by zero.

The holes in the crust sometime present, too, due to gaps between faces.

So. Done.

On 7/3/2021 at 2:53 AM, funnelton said:

At least come up with your own ideas lol

https://outerwilds.fandom.com/wiki/Brittle_Hollow

why-one-planet-in-outer-wilds-clockwork-

Edited by Bej Kerman

A hollow planet would collapse into a sphere immediately under its own gravity. 

On 7/6/2021 at 12:01 PM, MKI said:

At the same time, I wonder what it would take to add a visually correct black hole into the game.

Visually? (SpaceEngine: ) 

So I just found out that SpaceEngine added accretion disks and holy shit.  (It's free, what are you still doing here?) - GIF on Imgur

Not too much. I've never seen a game give us the proper Einsteinian mechanics surrounding one, though. Having a supermassive black hole in KSP2 to fool around in would be interesting, either in a mod or in the base game. Perhaps one in a very old globular cluster would be calm enough to approach. I know they wouldn't add it without doing the physics right, though, so I'm not expecting it anytime soon. I wouldn't want a black hole without actual warped space, time dilation, etc.

On 7/18/2021 at 10:04 AM, Bej Kerman said:

At least come up with your own ideas lol

https://outerwilds.fandom.com/wiki/Brittle_Hollow

why-one-planet-in-outer-wilds-clockwork-

look I swear I haven't heard about that! look at my steam library, the outer wilds isn't in it ;(

Also the way i imagined the planet was well, a crust with a huge hole in it, kind of like that ''eyeball'' planet we saw for ksp 2, exept that you can see huge scars going in the black hole, caused by the planet's atmosphere, biosphere, oceans and alien-made structures getting sucked into the planet who was migrating into the middle of said planet

7 hours ago, funnelton said:

look I swear I haven't heard about that! look at my steam library, the outer wilds isn't in it ;(

It was a very specific idea you put across, so I'm just gonna go ahead and doubt that lol.

7 hours ago, funnelton said:

alien-made structures getting sucked into the planet who was migrating into the middle of said planet

Pretty much that part of Outer Wilds 1:1.

15 hours ago, cubinator said:

I've never seen a game give us the proper Einsteinian mechanics surrounding one, though.

Kerr geometry, including the four dimensional temporal structure of the hole and the ringularity, can be calculated on a home computer, albeit very slowly: http://www.madore.org/~david/math/kerr.html#videos

The much simpler Schwarzschild geometry can be done real-time, and there's no doubt Intercept could pull it off: https://ebvalaim.pl/en/black-hole-simulator/

It's possible, but there's not enough interest regarding black hole interiors.

• 1 month later...

okay i found this again and i found an image showing what i meant3wsQMY4.jpg

in the outer wilds version it looks like it still have some of its mantle, what i meant is just the crust with massive holes in it

Edited by funnelton