The IKLC (International Kerbin Language Comittee)

Whptheenah

Which script should we use for Kerbalese/Kerbanian/etc.?  

1. 1. Which script should we use for Kerbalese/Kerbanian/etc.?

• Kavarican
    • Wormranian
    • Kzplathidan

Welcome to the International Kerbin Language Committee:

Did you ever wonder what language Kerbals speak? Well it definitely isn't English! That is why it is our duty to begin a dictionary of the Kerbal's international language. You can post a word from the dictionary here, and come up with a translation into Kerbalian (that sounds like a nice name) as you see fit. Then provide a few sentences in which it is used, for context (this can be done after more words are developed).

Rules:

-No swear words

-Preferably add IPA

-No accents

-[highlight]Post your words here[/highlight]http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/23646-IKLC-Dictionary

-Make sure the word you want to add has not been used yet

-If a letter doesn't exist in the script, it cannot be used

-Don't just use backwards earth languages because that's boring

-Only post verb infinitives

-Don't post phrases. Words only.

Scripts:

The most scientific script around. Feel all futuristic with this technological text.

2cie54m.jpg

How to type none existent letters:

Q=Kw

X=ks

C=S/K

General words:

I=Kahe

You=Bla

He=Wero

She=Wera

It=Wer

We=Kahen

You (plural)=Blan

They=Weren

My/Mine=Elskahe

Your=Elsbla

His=Elswero

Her=Elswera

It's=Elswer

Our=Elsenkahen

Your (plural)=Elsenblan

Their=Elsenweren

Conjugation:

I=ending becomes Ka

You=ending becomes Ya

He/She/It=ending becomes La

We=ending becomes Kan

You (plural)=ending becomes Ban

They=ending becomes Lan

I=ending becomes El

You=ending becomes Ol

He/She/It=ending becomes Ul

We=ending becomes Elen

You (plural)=ending becomes Olen

They=ending becomes Ulen

I=ending becomes A'd

You=ending becomes Wo'd

He/She/It=ending becomes Lu'd

We=ending becomes A'den

You (plural)=ending becomes Wo'den

They=ending becomes Lu'den

General rules of the language:

-To make something plural, add an N to the end if it ends in a vowel/y, or an EN to the end if it doesn't

-Singular words must never end in N

-Words cannot always begin with K

-Script goes from left to right, just like English

-Verbs must end in 'ker' 'ver' or 'ler'

-No double meanings (Posting the word 'space' doesn't account for the cosmos and an area of emptiness)

-To make something preterite tense (past tense that happened once), put Gud as a prefix to the verb

-To make something imperfect tense (past tense of repeated actions, what things used to be like or describing things in the past tense), put Hayj as a prefix to the verb

-To make something future tense (Saying what will happen), put Dal as a prefix to the verb

-To make something future tense (Saying what is going to happen), put the correctly conjugated form of 'To Be', followed by the infinitive of 'To Go', followed by the infinitive of the manipulated verb (eg: It is going to need help = Wer govudl'ud escritker umpedver merf)

-To make a verb negative (I like/I don't like, I have/I don't have, I am/I am not, etc.) put the word Kemia directly before the pronoun and verb.

-To make something a question (I need->do I need?) put owdel at the start of the sentence and end with a question mark

Numbers and numerical system:

This works in the same way that Roman Numerals do.

30a96pl.jpg

In the font:

0=0

1=1

2=5

3=10

4=100

5=1000

6=million

7=billion

8=trillion

9=quadrillion

Other recognized languages:

-Dialects of Kavarican

-Krimmel

Edited by Whptheenah

Remember: The winning script will be refined (basically, I'll decrease the fuzziness and make the letters more characterized to the style).

Also, the dictionary will start when I post the phrase 'Dictionary of the Kerbal language'. Although it is generally earth languages backwards, there is still space for thousands of extra words, so get thinking.

Include the words 'goosenargh', 'thrashbarg' and 'slartibartfast' somewhere. References to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy should be many, with gross disregard for copyright.

I'll remember this for when the dictionary opens

I suppose there's the benefit of actually being able to type ã‚ã¿るれオã¦andã‚­. Although of how much use being able to type 7 letters of the alphabet would be is questionable. >.>

Then again, with Kzplathidan, the letters A, J, T, O, M, I, X, C, H, ÃËœ, í, Σ, ß, ï, è, Ω, Ãâ€, â, and ø can all be typed (I invented each script with a specific purpose: Kavarican for a futuristic look, Wormranian because Japan has provided us with much loved technological stuffz, and Kzplathidan because of Russia's role in the development of space technology)

Why not just create an entire new script from scratch that's wiggly but not too Japanese?

Totally agreed. This is the main reason why I prefer the first one : it doesn't look like any real alphabet, and is by the way less confusing. And a solution to all typing "problems" : a font.

But since there are only circles and lines, who said they would have to draw it ? They could use some sort of stamps for example.

And I think that it is a lot more difficult to learn how to draw each different symbol than only circles and straight lines ^^

Edited by Xeo

How if I'm trying to make my own script, and also Kerbin is so vast...

Kerbin is about as big as England, so it's understandable if they all speak the same language. Also, even if they don't, this language could work as an international business language.

This is Futurama language.

Thank you for the suggestion, FM. I will consider it, however, I was hoping for a more original language for Kerbin (since it is in no way associated with Futurama. I no wan tthem sue)

Well, it looks like we love circles and lines here on KSP.

I'll get working on a maths script. But for now...

THE DICTIONARY IS OPEN (only post words here from now on. If you have any issues, please PM me)

Dictionary of the Kerbal language:

(now NOT in alphabetical order)

To be=Govudler (goʊvʌdleəʳ)

To be called=Jalesiker (dʒælesi:keəʳ)

To have=Po'butker (poʊbʌtkeəʳ)

To like=Ratsugler (rætsʌgleəʳ)

To need=Umpedver (ʌmpedveəʳ)

To go=Escritker (eskri:tkeəʳ)

Edited by Whptheenah

References to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy should be many, with gross disregard for copyright.

Don't Panic=chemiapeespace

"Chemist Peas Space"

"You may think it's a long way to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

Or was that a reference to something else? Awell.

I have a hunch that this is going to fail dramatically=Jeben (Pronounced Jeb-en

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.