Rocket Keeps Veering 'Off Course' During 'Go For Orbit' Tutorial

Komradem

Hi - I am having problems with the 'Go For Orbit' Tutorial. My rocket keeps veering off-course no matter how carefully I try and keep the rocket path inside the radial out indicator.

Have tried with SAS on and off and have tried with 'Target' mode (the autopilot feature) on and off but no matter what, still getting the 'your rocket is off course' message.

I have also tried going back to the previous tutorial, advanced construction, and re-designing the ship, twice. Placing the fins as low beneath the CoM as possible and moving the parts to get the CoM closer near to the base of the rocket which I have heard helps with stability.

So far, nothing I have tried works. Please help!

Stage twice at that point: once to decouple the second stage, and again to light the 'Terrier' engine.

The instructions appear to be incorrect.  They say "Hit [Y]" (the Y key is staging for me; it might by [Space] for you) when we decouple the stage, and then say "Upper Stage Lit" --- but the upper stage is not yet lit.  That seems to confuse the script and they say we are off course even though we are not.

cZ9PwD9.jpgNcc7qVq.jpgy0c2AO4.jpg

If you like, you can stage again quickly at that point and finish the Tutorial.   

quVUVBe.jpg

It is also reasonable to skip the tutorials and figure things out on your own in the 'Sandbox' mode.  In any case, the tutorials have a few other such problems so do not take them too seriously.

[Edit: I think Vanamode misunderstood when he asked for a picture.  This is the tutorial that comes with the stock game so we all access to the ship.]

Edited by OHara

The rocket in this tutorial is bugged, the decoupler has been clipped through the upper stage engine which knocks it off course when you stage. or sometimes it sticks impeding your thrust until it overheats and explodes, either way it is hard to avoid triggering a failure even in circumstances that should be easily recoverable

Guys, thank you. I realize that the rocket veering off-course was the game's fault not mine. I will just skip that part of the Tutorial and not deal with it again until necessary.

Thank you for the assistance.

• 3 months later...

Thank you OHara, you're right. The first time I did the tutorial the engine didn't start. Second time the decouple failed. You just have to press the key twice.

On 7/4/2021 at 3:30 PM, OHara said:

Stage twice at that point: once to decouple the second stage, and again to light the 'Terrier' engine.

The instructions appear to be incorrect.  They say "Hit [Y]" (the Y key is staging for me; it might by [Space] for you) when we decouple the stage, and then say "Upper Stage Lit" --- but the upper stage is not yet lit.  That seems to confuse the script and they say we are off course even though we are not.

cZ9PwD9.jpgNcc7qVq.jpgy0c2AO4.jpg

If you like, you can stage again quickly at that point and finish the Tutorial.   

quVUVBe.jpg

It is also reasonable to skip the tutorials and figure things out on your own in the 'Sandbox' mode.  In any case, the tutorials have a few other such problems so do not take them too seriously.

[Edit: I think Vanamode misunderstood when he asked for a picture.  This is the tutorial that comes with the stock game so we all access to the ship.]

• 2 years later...

Sorry to necro this post but incase someone searches this out. After some failures I figured out the issue -- the tutorial before they rate limit the swivel to 75% thrust and the 2 SBs to 65%. However the rocket in the Go for Orbit tutorial has both set to 100%. This is causes all kinds of issues. I played around with it a bit and once you hit Z like the tutorial tells you, hit next then reduce the throttle down to about 45% thats the second T in the word Throttle on your gauge. Once you decouple the SBs do not go full throttle, instead bring it up to 75% and when that burns out make sure to hit Z to go full throttle on the terroir engine. Best to let Val drive if you new on this one.