RCS should follow Input Configuration

While I might have recently had the round about solution shown to me, I simply ask that RCS not override my input keys.

What I mean is: I have RCS control set to my numpad. But even though I have it set that way, WASD still activates RCS. I don't want that. Ever.:lol:

Anyway you guys can change that? Extremely frustrating to have to: R, numpad, R, WASD, R, numpad, R, WASD.

I mean, I specifically set my controls up to avoid that! Why does it override? Let's get this patched before you guys all leave for KSP2.

Thank you gentlemen for your time and attention.

WASD is for attitude control (with big ships RCS helps a lot because good luck doing that using reaction wheels only) the other controls are for translation.

And so, you can use RCS for that if the ship turns around waaay too slow.

R is not that far from WASD so I see no problem here.

No coding needs to be changed.  All YOU have to do is change YOUR key binds however YOU want them.  You have complete control over that in the Settings.  You can make them whatever you want.

Edited by pquade

Not sure, but I'm guessing you are using numpad for translation (which requires RCS), and WASD for rotation (which can rely on reaction wheels)?

In the main menu settings, enable "Advanced Tweakables".
In the VAB, right-click on the RCS port and open the "Actuation Toggles".
Here you can disable the RCS port for Yaw/Pitch/Roll.
Now when in flight, you can rotate the craft with WASD relying on reaction wheels, and use IJKL/numpad to do RCS translation moves.

trQVj.jpg

On 7/5/2021 at 9:42 AM, The Aziz said:

WASD is for attitude control (with big ships RCS helps a lot because good luck doing that using reaction wheels only) the other controls are for translation.

And so, you can use RCS for that if the ship turns around waaay too slow.

R is not that far from WASD so I see no problem here.

The problem is what a literally said: R, WASD, R, Numpad, R, WASD, R, Numpad.

If you can't understand why that's annoying, I can't help you.

On 7/5/2021 at 1:11 PM, pquade said:

No coding needs to be changed.  All YOU have to do is change YOUR key binds however YOU want them.  You have complete control over that in the Settings.  You can make them whatever you want.

That is exactly what I did. Did you read my post? Even with RCS thrusters bound only to numpad, WASD still uses RCS fuel. You don't have complete control over it.

On 7/5/2021 at 2:26 PM, Blaarkies said:

Not sure, but I'm guessing you are using numpad for translation (which requires RCS), and WASD for rotation (which can rely on reaction wheels)?

In the main menu settings, enable "Advanced Tweakables".
In the VAB, right-click on the RCS port and open the "Actuation Toggles".
Here you can disable the RCS port for Yaw/Pitch/Roll.
Now when in flight, you can rotate the craft with WASD relying on reaction wheels, and use IJKL/numpad to do RCS translation moves.

trQVj.jpg

Yes that is the work around I was told in another post. But it only works like half the time, so isn't a solution I'm looking for.

A solution would be letting my keybindings override whatever is causing RCS to fire when I use WASD. But it doesn't.

11 minutes ago, Slyguy3129 said:

override whatever is causing RCS to fire

Your input is causing it to fire. The thrusters react to every change in ship's position in space exactly as designed, not only for translation. I even forgot about roll under Q and E, they're for that too.

Besides, I'm curious how many times you switch it on and off. For docking? Turn on, maneuver closer to target, turn off, match the position of docking ports, turn on, translate forward, you're docked. Standard procedure. I can't help you either if reaching your index finger from D to R few times bothers you so much, sorry.

On 7/4/2021 at 8:24 PM, Slyguy3129 said:

What I mean is: I have RCS control set to my numpad.

4tgXk1t.jpgKSP does not provide that option.  The controls are organised as 'Rotation' and 'Translation' and the RCS thrusters.  You can assign 'Translation' to the numpad, but RCS thrusters will still respond to both rotation and translation inputs -- assuming the thrusters are placed  so they are capable of both rotating and translating the craft.

I suppose the suggestion is for KSP to add an option to also re-assign RCS-rotation away from the keys used for rotation using all the other methods of rotation (reaction wheels, ailerons, and engine-gimbal).

This desire has come up before.  Some people want to use RCS for translation only (thread link).  Sometimes you can design the craft with the one-port RCS thrusters so that the thrusters are incapable of rotation. 

People on PC who use any mods likely have Module Manager for which there is a Community Patch to have RCS respond to translation inputs only.  People who do not use mods can carefully edit their configuration files, using the patch in Community Patches as a guide.

Some comments removed because the discussion turned confrontational for some reason. 

What I think OP is asking for is a way to have RCS active but not always called upon by attitude controls. Two parallel sets of attitude commands which exert the same force on the ship, but one with RCS assist and one without. Remapping commands wouldn't do that. It's a reasonable request, so let's please try not to be mad at each other about it. 

47 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Some comments removed because the discussion turned confrontational for some reason. 

What I think OP is asking for is a way to have RCS active but not always called upon by attitude controls. Two parallel sets of attitude commands which exert the same force on the ship, but one with RCS assist and one without. Remapping commands wouldn't do that. It's a reasonable request, so let's please try not to be mad at each other about it. 

Yes, that is exactly what I am asking for. I'm just not intelligent enough to put it into those exact words. Thank you!

Alright, if I understand correctly you want that, but without having to click so many times for every single RCS thruster, right?

On 7/5/2021 at 9:26 PM, Blaarkies said:

trQVj.jpg

I think I can help with that

I have a module manager script I copied from somewhere else in this forum

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
	{
	%enableRoll = false
	}
}

That deactivates the gimbal of every single engine in the game to prevent it from going haywire on roll, but leaves pitch and yaw activated

So I guess I can figure an equivalent script for your problem

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRCSFX]]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleRCSFX]
	{
		%enableYaw = false
		%enablePitch = false
		%enableRoll = false
	}
}

Just tried it and it seems to work. Every time you place a thruster on a ship, it starts like the picture Blaarkies posted

You need to put that in a text file. Copy and paste onto Notepad or whatever, and give it a name finished in .cfg

Say, something like rcsConfig.cfg. Then go to your game directory and put that file within GameData

If you had any mods already, chances are you're done. If you were completely stock, you'll need to add the ModuleManager.dll there to GameData too

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.