"Magic wand technology wish"

MKI

I agree with @cubinator  actually...

One thing that comes to mind is the ability to see, read, interact with and change the human mind, including the personality matrix. It would solve several problems at once if you think about it. Reverse engineering the sheer computing power and storage required would catapult us vastly in many other areas. Then there is the direct benefit of changing personalities and getting rid of self destructive behavior. Failing that, the resulting computer AI would surpass SkyNet and solve our problems for us.

31 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

My wife was shoulder-surfing last night, and she had a great point: All you folks wishing for life extension, make sure you word your wish very carefully. If you think Medicare is in bad shape now, wait until everyone is a senior citizen for 240 years. Might want to add fully-automated robotic medicine to the list too.

I think the idea also includes a slowdown of aging so a person can stay in ship-shape for an additional couple dozen decades or so before becoming "a senior citizen". If the body deteriorated after 60 at the current rate, and then just did not stop until the person was 300 years old or something, that would be very bad indeed. But if you could be as healthy at 260 as you currently are at 60 (and consequently, stay as spry as a  twenty-something for half a century or more), it would be a lot more appealing. Then you'd still only spend a few decades in retirement, after a working life of two centuries.

52 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

My wife was shoulder-surfing last night, and she had a great point: All you folks wishing for life extension, make sure you word your wish very carefully. If you think Medicare is in bad shape now, wait until everyone is a senior citizen for 240 years. Might want to add fully-automated robotic medicine to the list too.

Life extension without preventing aging is a dumb/useless technology. No one wants to live to be 300 if that means being old for 200 years+. Also no one also wants to be around a cranky 300 year old person talking about "back in my day". 

I'd assume the original idea was more along the lines of the fountain of youth, rather than "you can't die anymore but get old just as fast torture technology". This isn't the twilight zone where every idea is a deal with the devil and comes out bad because you didn't specify exactly what you want. 

I think that most discussion around life extension centers around eliminating damage caused by aging, thus causing the chance of mortality per year to remain constant rather than increase. (Or at least making sure that mortality chance does not increase with age due to biological factors.)

768px-USGompertzCurve.svg.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_immortality

Ability to make a personal temporal loop, keeping the memories.

Return as a mental ghost to your schoolhood or any other optimal -hood, make advices for the younger-you, merge both personalities in one in that organism, professionally grow again.
This way collect the experience of several lives in familiar time, cheating by self-advices.

When you get enough advanced, break the loop and repeat this on the next historical period, being a jack-of-all-trades.

Move this way further and further.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.