The Deep Space Challenge: Beyond Eeloo

are mods allowed, cos if yes, this isnt a challenge, lots of modded players send ISVs that go to other star systems on a regular basis, so this isnt a really too hard, considering the fact that these ISVs weigh literal kilotons

As the current holder of the Altitudinalist record in this forum's K-Prize challenge I completed an orbit around the Sun with a stock SSTO to 1 Petameter or 0.1 lightyear. I also sent an SSTO to escape trajectory before braking and bringing it back to Kerbin.

I tried to go beyond 1 Pm but you run into various limitations of the game engine (e.g., you cannot go beyond 2 billion years - I think the year counter is a 32 bit quantity).

See here for more stuff that I have found out about what happens if your AP is insanely high.

Edited by QF9E

2 hours ago, QF9E said:

you cannot go beyond 2 billion years - I think the year counter is a 32 bit quantity

I'm pretty sure KSP uses double precision floating point for almost all of its values, just to avoid overflow issues like this.

Edit: In 1.11 KSP changed from single precision to double precision for dV and orbit calculations. They made no mention of the time counter.

However, just from a programming standpoint, it doesn't make sense to keep years in a 32 bit counter and other time units in a different counter since the two are closely related. There are about 35 million seconds in a year, and if you keep the number of 1/60th seconds in a counter, that's 2.1 billion per year, or very close to the signed 32 bit limit. So I'm guessing that KSP time is stored as 60ths of a second in a signed 64 bit integer. (Signed because Kerbal Alarm Clock displays negative times so I assume there's support for it). There's actually precedent for this - the original incarnation of Unix time stored 60ths of a second.

Edited by camacju

16 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

are mods allowed, cos if yes, this isnt a challenge, lots of modded players send ISVs that go to other star systems on a regular basis, so this isnt a really too hard, considering the fact that these ISVs weigh literal kilotons

Yes. Lets just see how far we can go. Lets reach the Z! 

Ive reched Z but the Heell kraken got me. 

Edited by Dr. Kerbal

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.