Kerbals, what are they?

Souptime

If theyre plant based, do they eat other plants? are the animals plants too? what IS a kerbal?

On 7/8/2021 at 5:08 PM, Souptime said:

Wait wait wait... if the kerbals are plant based, and the kerbull dog is also green, i.e. plant based, does that mean livestock like kows and khickens, and kigs, would be plant too? is everyone vegan there? or do they just farm regular plants? but at the same time we see snacks portrayed as regular snacks, not green in any way, like chips and chocolate, so is there some sort of magic place with "Alien life" where life developed completely different to the plant based life that the kerbals are based on?(Which is a real thing but i cant remember is actual name) are there impostors among them? But hey, is this just a game theory?

@Matpatt explain.

On 7/8/2021 at 5:11 PM, Admiral Fluffy said:

Pretty Sure matpatt has an email.

@Spaceman.Spiff, what do you think?

Love how this thread has no topic but as long as you tag someone you arn't breaking the rules. :D

On 7/8/2021 at 9:07 PM, ColdJ said:

Everybody always forgets about the third Phylum. Kerbals and the other moving beings on Kerbin are a type of Fungi(yes types of fungi are complex and move around unattached to the ground.) They are omnivores. Be glad they are not plants because if they were Vegan they would be cannibals. This accounts for all the things they can do and their resilience. Any more discussion and we will have to start a new thread called "Kerbals:What are they? Revisited." Don't you think? @Dientus

On 7/8/2021 at 10:01 PM, OrdinaryKerman said:

Nope, not him.

I think Kerbals and kerbal animals developed in a timeline where photosynthetic bacteria merged with both plants and animals, so kerbal animals aren't plants but still Chlorophyll Green. They also have reinforced dermal cell membranes, cartilaginous skeletons, and inflatable vacuoles in their epidermis cells

Random guess, @JB182

Split from the guess who will reply next thread

Old thread: 

Edited by Souptime
added the quotes and changed From the GWWRN thread to split from the GWWRN thread UPDATE: Added the old thread link

Kerbals are born in caves from pools of liquid created by a Kerbal "queen" which looks like a sprawling fungus. The Kerbals themselves are mostly uniform inside and have only a few differentiated organs. 

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Kerbals are born in caves from pools of liquid created by a Kerbal "queen" which looks like a sprawling fungus. The Kerbals themselves are mostly uniform inside and have only a few differentiated organs. 

Ooooh, you gave me wicked theory. What if the Kraken is the Kerbal Queen ?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I know it is a long held belief that kerbals have evolved from plants, but I say this is an outright falsehood!

*Slams imaginary desktop*

Kerbals are a direct descendants of dinosaurs. They evolved from the raptor family of dinosaurs, have near hollow bones with a high healing rate, no feathers, and are warm blooded. The green is to help blend in with the greenery of the planet. Their teeth evolved flat because instead of meat eaters, they are plant eaters.

More to come....

Edited by Dientus
heh heh Ninja Skillz

:sob:This just in. It was found out today that the reason that Kerbals strive so hard to go to space, is to find their long lost mother. Kerbals don't care for their own safety as long as they can find their Mum. Sadly we have reports that some search parties may have indeed found her, and that the news is not good. @Dientus Ninja'd

:cry::valcry::valsad::sad::valsob:

I have had less than 2 minutes and more than 2 years to think about it, and their cell walls are definitely not solid like a plant. Their extremities would not move like they do when they walk if their cell walls were plants. The act of locomotion that they exibit are not only very animalistic, meaning the result of underlying muscle and sinew instead of the slow process of cell wall elongation, but takes a tremendous amount of calories with a complex central nervous system. Photosynthesis and Osmosis alone could not produce the amount of energy needed to sustain this activity. The surface area of their external covering, which is in fact a scaleless eperdermal layer that is very thick, is not near large enough to sustain such plant necessities further, they would need an extremely dense and complex root system to even begin to get the energy required.

... I got a thesis going on, just hard for my old fingers on a mobile phone to do quickly plus it's late ... but fear not fellow kerbanauts! More details shall follow soon enough!

I say the green of Kerbals’ skin is due to a photosynthetic symbiont that has since turned commensal, providing no net gain for the Kerbals as their energy production is limited and Kerbals are a more indoors-type civilisation now (no, I don’t subscribe to the “Kerbals live in caves” theory, instead preferring  “Kerbals live in houses but that never got added to KSP”).

(Alternative theory, Kerbals use copper in their blood instead of iron which would make their blood blue-green and affect their skin colour.)

Big heads, presumably with big brains inside, but small bodies with a small digestive system would explain their fondness for snacks- it’s a biological necessity to constantly top up their body’s energy levels and continue to function. Also consider their mouth size compared to their bodies, a single mouthful would probably be a whole meal for them.

On 7/9/2021 at 12:06 AM, Dientus said:

Photosynthesis and Osmosis alone could not produce the amount of energy needed to sustain this activity.

What if.... we're not following them in 'real time' but, in 'plant time'?

Like, when the Flash is running really fast and everyone else looks like they're standing still - we see them moving in regular speed but, in reality, it takes them an hour to pull a lever!

5 hours ago, Mahnarch said:

Like, when the Flash is running really fast and everyone else looks like they're standing still - we see them moving in regular speed but, in reality, it takes them an hour to pull a lever!

Not saying its impossible mind you, just thinking about the useage of rocket fuel vs escape velocity given the known gravity on Kerbin, physics and speed of flying in atmosphere, and the clock on the screen that follows conventional time format of minutes and seconds as well. Given the evidence that the game gives us, it appears to be consistent with our time frames and what we see on screen happens as it would in life as if we were there.

To elaborate... Time may flow it different rates throughout the universe, hence why I won't dismiss it out of hand, but the rate that all time flows is relative and is influenced by speed and gravity. The game gives us those numbers (speed and gravity) in our standard formats so when we watch Jeb walk across the tarmac it's happening the same as if you or I walked across the tarmac in a space suit.

I really need to take the time and put my theory down including the evolutionary scale, it involves the meteor strike on Kerbin and is very interesting in my humble opinion ;p

Edited by Dientus
like the above post At coldj

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.