Show and Tell - Gurdamma

StarSlay3r

Gurdamma is a young terrestrial planet that's still experiencing heavy asteroid bombardment, much like Kerbin did billions of years ago. Still to come: a thick atmosphere and a very close (i.e. within the rings) moon!

Oh wow, I love it! Looks like we have some great terrain to fall down traverse carefully with our rovers, and some waves for lightening up our cross-crater ferry trips.

And RINGS! Looking forward to seeing the final result with the moon, for sure!

Some flowing rivers and waterfalls would absolutely make my day, and I can't see any elevation variation for the water level in the lakes, but hopefully that will be added sometime in the future. A single level for all water always bugged me in KSP :)

Shoot. I need to stop looking forward to the Show & Tells. I didn’t want to see any more new planets, I want to discover them on my own. But I gave in and looked anyway. 

A protoplanetary or young system!? Wonderful! Excited to see the rest of the system!

I spy some emissive features... I wonder if we'll receive bodies of liquids with varying height? It's nice to at last see a showcase of an extrasolar planet! The terrain looks sharp as ever. Gurdamma here looks like the lovechild of Mun and Laythe, with a dabbling of Dres. And... Is that axial tilt?

22 minutes ago, Awfulwaffle said:

Right around the 0:37 mark I saw some orange that caught my eye. Potential volcano or even a fresh impact crater?

There's a rather large red-orange spot which suggests a lava pool. I want very much to see that up-close.

Furthermore, I'd like to know if there is potential to have mixed ocean types as well as non-uniform ocean levels. Water here + lava there + mountain lakes. ;)

6 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Make sure that the moon is getting torn apart or something like that becuase it is inside the Roche limit.

Or just make it furhter out but that isnt part of the plans.

The story we're trying to tell with Gurdamma is that it's similar to Earth during the Hadean Eon, relatively shortly after the formation of the Moon. I was actually pretty surprised myself how close the Moon was immediately after its formation: 16 times larger in the sky than today, and just a whisker beyond the Roche limit! To get a sense of how close, check out image 3 in this sequence: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/exploration/training/illustrations/earthMoon/

We are still making adjustments to the distance of Gurdamma's moon, but it'll still be both close and fast-orbiting (and Gurdamma has a very short day). 

8 minutes ago, DJDoesKSP said:

Is this a new addition to the Kerbol System, or is it in a different star system?
Either way, cant wait to explore it!

Different star system. :)

1 minute ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Awesome!

I hope planet reveals are a continuing :friday: trend!

I think we may dial it back a bit - as other commenters have pointed out, we don't want to spoil too many of the new celestial bodies! This one got grandfathered in because we actually already gave you a peek at an earlier version of it in this video: 

10 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

This one got grandfathered in because we actually already gave you a peek at an earlier version of it in this video: 

I had logged into the forums just to ask if that unknown water-y planet was this one! Nice to know it's not Laythe.
And while I'm here, I love this planet concept. It's something I haven't seen much in sci-fi at all and teaches a bit about the history of Earth. Extremly excited to visit it when the game comes out!
I really hope it doesn't have Oxygen, so people get confused planes don't work on a blue sky.

13 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Just now, Pkmniako said:

I had logged into the forums just to ask if that unknown water-y planet was this one! Nice to know it's not Laythe.
And while I'm here, I love this planet concept. It's something I haven't seen much in sci-fi at all and teaches a bit about the history of Earth. Extremly excited to visit it when the game comes out!
I really hope it doesn't have Oxygen, so people get confused planes don't work on a blue sky.

I think it is.

But WOW Gurdamma....it's...gorgeous:valwow:

Can't wait to visit it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.