Show and Tell - Gurdamma

StarSlay3r

planets rings were going to damage spacecraft right? does this also happen on the surface of the moon? that would not make sence. will there be like a gap in the rings where the moon orbits like in reality? and will the moon get its own smaller ring system? and i see small lava places on the planet, will there be actual lava there or is it just visual?

37 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

I think we may dial it back a bit - as other commenters have pointed out, we don't want to spoil too many of the new celestial bodies! This one got grandfathered in because we actually already gave you a peek at an earlier version of it in this video: 

Thanks Nate for likely dialing it back. You’re saving me from myself. 

4 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Correct!

Wow. It would be an interesting sight to see a moon so close to the planet. It would look like Laythe and Tylo. Man that sight is awesome. 

But looking at the first Show and Tell video it seems that Puff was hit by a huge something. Like Laythe, Kerbin, Mun, Tylo, and Eve. I guess most celestial bodies in this game were hit by something huge. 

Edited by Dr. Kerbal

1 hour ago, Nate Simpson said:

I think we may dial it back a bit - as other commenters have pointed out, we don't want to spoil too many of the new celestial bodies! This one got grandfathered in because we actually already gave you a peek at an earlier version of it in this video: 

So the planet shown is not laythe? A surprise to be sure, but a welcomed one.

also, you don’t have to answer this, but what happened to charr? It was talked about on the first day by pulxar pixie. And seemed to be never mentioned again. I thought it was the planet shown at the end of the first developer trailer but I guess not.

anyways, quite a beautiful planet :D

5 minutes ago, coyotesfrontier said:

@Nate Simpson, this is a kind of weird question to ask, but are planets in KSP2 the same scale (1/10 real life) as in KSP1? The Mun showcase seems to indicate so, but Gurdamma appears to be much smaller then expected.

Gurdamma is comparable to Kerbin in scale. The Kerbolar planets are the same scale as in KSP1, and we are keeping to the 1/10 rule for new celestial bodies.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

I also have a question @Nate Simpson. Will all the terrain be the same for all the original planets and moons? 

If you're asking "will the topology be the same for all Kerbolar celestial bodies," the answer is "our artists often begin with the original KSP heightmap but sometimes make significant alterations." In at least a couple of cases, the topology has been radically altered to tell a slightly different story than the original game (if you look at how Dres has changed, you'll see a good example of this). But stuff like the shapes of Kerbin's continents has not changed too much. Of course the masses, diameters, and orbits of the Kerbolar bodies have not changed from the original game.

Will bits of real planetary science be greatly emphasized or pronounced in the descriptions, science experiments, and development of the bodies? There is a lot of misconceptions out there on celestial bodies, particularly extrasolar ones, and this is a chance to set things straight. Y'all probably have one already, but considered having a planetary/stellar science consultant? Perhaps the people behind Cool Worlds?

There is a lot of things I know as a planet modder and simply as a hobbyist or person who's curious about space, and there is a LOT out there on the realities as well as very possible what-ifs regarding planets, moons, stars, and minor bodies, and I wouldn't mind seeing more people have some of that knowledge.

Huh, interesting. It must be experiencing a high amount of asteroid bombardment considering it's suppose to have a think atmosphere as well. If our atmosphere was able to weather away most craters earth has, then that shows that all those craters on Gurdamma are pretty new in the planet's timeline.

47 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Gurdamma is comparable to Kerbin in scale. The Kerbolar planets are the same scale as in KSP1, and we are keeping to the 1/10 rule for new celestial bodies.

If you're asking "will the topology be the same for all Kerbolar celestial bodies," the answer is "our artists often begin with the original KSP heightmap but sometimes make significant alterations." In at least a couple of cases, the topology has been radically altered to tell a slightly different story than the original game (if you look at how Dres has changed, you'll see a good example of this). But stuff like the shapes of Kerbin's continents has not changed too much. Of course the masses, diameters, and orbits of the Kerbolar bodies have not changed from the original game.

Significant alterations? Like a complete overhaul/rework of the Mohole? I can think of far cooler geology than just a cone shaped divet.

Woah, this is really cool. Landing is going to be a serious challenge! I really hope the tutorials have something for this, since its going to be tight margins for everyone involved with my competition.

Although I was sort of hoping for a little multiplayer update. Can we get an estimate in weeks about when we get any sort of update to multiplayer, or is that just wishful thinking.

So the moon in the rings is just like our Earth's Moon, in some theories about the formation of our Moon, a small moon forms in the rings of Earth (it formation depends on the theory) and then, over time, collects the remaining material to form the Moon as we know it today. In one theory in particular, our early Earth is hit by a proto-planet (Theya I think it's called ?) could the molten lava spots be the still living scars of such an impact ?

NEW PLERNERT
Craters

Liquids

Lakes

LAVA

Rings

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*ahem*

1 hour ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

Will the canyon make a come back though? 

47 minutes ago, Wubslin said:

Significant alterations? Like a complete overhaul/rework of the Mohole? I can think of far cooler geology than just a cone shaped divet.

How many times... All answers you need are there (2 S&T's out of date but that's just me being lazy)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.