What kind of planets/celestial bodies would you like to see in KSP 2?

Unique-looking comets. Possibly even meteors, which- if KSP 2 has metals as resources- could be harvested for building ships in space. I'm unsure as to how far they're going to go with this, but the possibilities with black holes couldn't be understated. We may not know everything about them, but it'll be fun trying to use them as gravity slingshots maybe?

-A brown dwarf.

-A multi-star system, or several of various sorts.

-A nebula (either planetary or star-forming)

-A white dwarf/neutron star/pulsar/black hole (noneuclidean orbits would be a must for the latter three, however)

-A tidally locked planet

-TRAPPIST-1 analogue, lots of Kerbin-size planets in close proximity

-A rogue planet

-Actual asteroid/iceteroid belts in solar systems

-A protoplanetary disk, or maybe just a very young solar system

-A wormhole? Just one! plz :grin:

Edited by cubinator

2 minutes ago, TLTay said:

I'm less worried about the planets than I am about having no tech progression challenge left by the time I get there.

I think its likely that tech will continue to progress even after going interstellar because there are supposedly mulitple interstellar engines, some of which are more advanced than the others.

In the trailer you see the daedalus engine, but the devs have said there is another engine in the very very late endgame. (possibly antimatter torchship)

i would love to see a red giant system. A star nearing the end of its life with some dying planets around it, and maybe an ocean moon around a gas giant that has thawed from the expanding star. Maybe thats what they have in mind for Glumo and Merbel

A Uranus analogue for sure... Tilted, ghostly ring, 10x atmo from Kerbin while 5x gravity.  Couple moons (say 3, a very close one where the planet takes a quarter or more of the sky),  one in which the planet looks 4-5x as big as our current moon, and the last one far away).

Put some nice ressources from both it's atmosphere (Methane is a great fuel) and land (Maybe Uranium?  fits the name of the original).  Something worthwhile to spend time engineering ship to manage that planet.

I'd love the option to start in a *new* system - akin to say, Galileo's PP - with the original Kerbol system as something you can discover, travel to, and then find relics of the "old" Kerbal civilization scattered amongst the celestial bodies.  As much as I love Mün, Duna, Laythe, etc., I'm still scratching my head over the decision to base this new title in the same setting as KSP 1.

It would also be interesting to have an education version (or option) set in the real solar system with correct scale, ISP, dV requirements, etc.  I can see a pretty strong licensing market for this in the primary-12 educational sector - a good channel sales director would likely recover the development costs pretty quickly.   Why stop at teaching orbital mechanics when you can incorporate real-world celestial bodies and exogeology?  Sure this can be modded in eventually, but no school board is going to to bite on a software package that requires community-maintained mods and constant maintenance for a classroom tool.

Edited by Chilkoot

On 7/9/2021 at 4:48 PM, cubinator said:

-A white dwarf/neutron star/pulsar/black hole (noneuclidean orbits would be a must for the latter three, however)

While a particular low periapsis near a neutron star should result in orbits that are noticeably not Keplerian, the tidal forces at that distance will also rip apart any ship. If we were to have something like a neutron star in the game, I think it should simply have a "kill" radius similar to how the gas giants work. It could probably even be marked as "sea level" in UI so that you know to stay above it. And anything safe distance away might as well stay on rails just like with every other body in the game, as deviation from classical orbit wouldn't be high enough to bother with.

Unlike neutron stars, black holes don't really have an upper limit on mass. At least, not that we know of. And particularly massive black holes can actually have very low tidal forces all the way down to event horizon. You can survive a dive into a supermassive black hole like the one at the center of our galaxy. Well, survive passing the event horizon. Once you're through, all trajectories lead to singularity, and at some point tidal forces are coming for you anyways. But the point is that you can't handle supermassive black holes with the same approach as neutron stars for purposes of the game. You'd have to actually model all the nonsense going on if you wanted to be remotely realistic, and that's a bit much even for a game running on a completely custom engine, let alone poor old Unity.

So my vote would be a definite no on black holes, but a maybe on neutron stars. Just treat them basically as compact stars with a tidal stress kill radius and no special physics beyond that.

I would love to see a giant gas planet (bigger than Jool) with various different moons, including one Kerbin-style moon with breathable air, a blue sky, and plants, and a gas moon (like a gas planet but it orbits a planet already so it's a moon) around twice the size of Kerbin. Maybe it could even have a sub-moon of its own!

10 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:

Maybe it could even have a sub-moon of its own!

Thats an interesting thought, a moon orbiting a moon orbiting a planet. That could be challenging, I like that!

On 7/12/2021 at 10:16 PM, Bej Kerman said:

Care to clarify? Comet tails generally only vary in size.

Not the same old white noisy rocks like KSP 1. Different shapes, really. I'm pretty sure the asteroid models in KSP 1 are pretty much re-used, right?

On 7/9/2021 at 8:31 PM, justspace103 said:

i would love to see a red giant system. A star nearing the end of its life with some dying planets around it, and maybe an ocean moon around a gas giant that has thawed from the expanding star. Maybe thats what they have in mind for Glumo and Merbel

Char will probably be in this type of system. Also, if we will see young planets like Gurdamma, we will probably see old ones.