Kerbal Konstructs Airport Exchange

A work in progress: this is Kathmandu 62 14N 40 57E:

kvpoUeC.png     RHhFWg2.png

I am planning a nearby high-elevation airport to be called Lukla that will present some unique aeronautical challenges along with commensurate mountaineering rewards.

Spoiler

Edited by Hotel26

On 7/12/2021 at 7:07 PM, chadgaskerman said:

but i'm not sure how to fill it

You could...

• Install  Kerbin-Side Kampus cont and dependencies. (This will not interfere with Kerbin Side Remastered if you have that installed).
  • Then remove all files from: \Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbinSide\MainBases to remove the bases this mod deploys.
  • Now you have all kinds of urban statics and roadways to add to your seaport/spaceport. (the lighthouse is a nice touch in the harbour).

Airport: Gilligans Island (GIL)

Download: Gilligan Is.zip  to ./GameData/<your name>/Airports/Gilligan Is.zip and unzip.

Body: Kerbin   Lat: 5.94N   Long: 62.80W   Elev: 604m

Description: The large island 115km ENE of KSC.  Who hasn't been there?!

Notes: Great run for testing performance of new aircraft.

QzMkAXS.png     g2QPooS.png

I actually have a grass strip at the other end of the island and -- get this -- I run an occasional Vitesse express train service between the two extremities of the island.

Fg2zKKI.png

Edited by Hotel26

Airport: Kathmandu (KAT)

Download: Kathmandu.zip  to ./GameData/<your name>/Airports/Kathmandu.zip and unzip.

Body: Kerbin   Lat: 62.18N   Long: 40.91E   Elev: 101m

Description: Picturesque medium-scale airport on the shores of Mt Keverest.

Notes: Connector for Lukla (LUK), at Mt Keverest.

kvpoUeC.png    RHhFWg2.png

Airport: Lukla (LUK)

Download: Lukla.zip  to ./GameData/<your name>/Airports/Lukla.zip and unzip.

Body: Kerbin   Lat: 61.63N   Long: 46.24E   Elev: 6628m

Description: Tiny airport with 510m, inclined dirt strip, R10 (with run-off ramp), very near the summit of Mt Keverest.

Notes: Very challenging!  Beware the density altitude.

RYrIDMb.png    YvaTrPz.png

With a single-engine Juno aircraft, I line up the flags for R10 and maintain 6,615m altitude and 70 m/s speed.  Next: don't panic.  (Get the touch-down right and don't worry about the end of the runway because every accident is a touch-down bounce rather than a runway end accident.  There is a very steep "runaway truck ramp" at the far end.)

CAUTION: here is the view of short final at the dirt strip intended for landing:

v8WqOjU.jpg

Edited by Hotel26

• 2 weeks later...

Airport: Capetown (CAP)

Download: Capetown.zip  to ./GameData/<your name>/Airports/Capetown.zip and unzip.

Body: Kerbin   Lat: 0.54N   Long: 42.03W   Elev: 44m

Description: Major, equatorial ASR base 592km downrange of KSC

Notes: Air-Sea Rescue and capsule/booster recovery center

JfXFbDp.png    dvu1902.png

• 2 weeks later...

Airport: Lands End (END)

Download: Lands End.zip  to ./GameData/<your name>/Airports/Lands End.zip and unzip.

Body: Kerbin   Lat: 8.51S   Long: 83.20W   Elev: 55m

Description: A pleasant jaunt 125km SW down the coast from KSC

Notes: Features ocean views at each of the runway!  Great Sunday lunch.

pzCTEZf.png    ZpyTMy5.png

Edited by Hotel26

• 2 weeks later...

Airport: Bombing Range[archaic] (BOM)

Download: Bombing Range to ./GameData/<your name>/Airports/Bombing Range.zip and unzip.

Body: Kerbin   Lat: 2.54N   Long: 74.81W   Elev: 510m

Description: Official name is Grassy 'Drome, but it used to be used as a bombing range, conveniently situated 28km N of KSC.

Notes: Please do not approach this area carrying armaments!  The locals have already filed numerous lawsuits against Kerbal Space Command!

k6EtpM0.png    hH2oW4W.png

This "'drome" [ rhymes with 'drone'] deserves some additional comment.   If not actually the cleverest airport KSC has designed (even though it's not at all clever), it's certainly a pretty interesting abuse of Kerbal Konstructs, yes?!

It's quite a challenge simply to find it!!  Naturally, with aerial bombing still ongoing (purely by accident), the wartime instinct for camouflage continues to this day.

The first image above (taken by a low-orbiting satellite) depicts the aerial view (our surveillance experts believe they may have identified an Invader jeep down in the lower RH corner of the field).  Airport dimensions are "classified".

A local newspaper shot (second above) shows there is just one building at Grassy 'Drome (caption: "please stop bombing us, please!").  Two other corners are marked by a radio tower and a water tower.  The fourth corner is completely incognito, so use good judgement when landing!

And the very best of British to you, attempting that...  ("We've changed all the street names, you know!!")

Edited by Hotel26

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Conext_ said:

am i doing something wrong?

The airports are mostly for stock Kerbin. If you are using other planet packs that change the stock Kerbin, then the airports will appear in the wrong locations or not at all until they are edited in KK to adjust their positions.

Also if you haven't already done so, each airport should be in it's own folder under your GameData\conext\Airports directory. This prevents potential issues with files overwriting each other.

We could investigate further if you post your KSP.log so we can see if KK is loading them or not.

4 hours ago, Conext_ said:

i put the folders in "Game Data\conext\Airports" but my KK's don't recognise them

Should be "GameData"  and that should already exist too.  There will be Squad directories in there plus other mods; plus, if you've installed KerbalKonstructs & KerbinSide, those will already be in GameData, too.

The rest of what you've written sounds fine.  You're putting the individual folders for each airport into your conext\Airports, so that's correct.

If the above is indeed your problem, you should be able to just drag your conext folder from Game Data into GameData.  Good luck and please do let me know if this works, because so far, I've been the only poster to Airport Exchange and you would be the First Downloader to my knowledge!

Edited by Hotel26

@Conext_ @Hotel26 One thing that may be the issue, is that the Airports are not configured with launch/recovery site options. This is perfectly OK, however it means that the Airports wouldn't show up in the Tracking Station or Map view. I have them all installed in my Debug instance of KSP and the log shows that they all loaded correctly without error. 

Airport: Tobruk (TBK)

Download: Tobruk to ./GameData/<your name>/Airports/Tobruk.zip and unzip.

Body: Kerbin   Lat: 0.13N   Long: 107.38W   Elev: 351m

Description: An equatorial air-sea rescue base servicing returning orbiters falling short of the KSC.

Notes: North-south runway

Y2gitp2.png    6vKET3z.png

If you're wondering whether I ever build airports further from KSC and/or off the equator...?  Yes, I do.  (I have so far only published about a third of my stock of airports.  So stay tuned!)

Nor have I limited myself to Kerbin!  I have two spaceports for the Mun (including one at my long-time favorite equatorial munar site), plus one on a very high (equatorial) flat-top mountain located on...

well, let's just say that one is called "Mauve Mountain".  :)

Edited by Hotel26

4 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Airport: Tobruk (TBK)

Download: Tobruk to ./GameData/<your name>/Airports/Tobruk.zip and unzip.

Body: Kerbin   Lat: 0.13N   Long: 107.38W   Elev: 351m

Description: An equatorial air-sea rescue base servicing returning orbiters falling short of the KSC.

Notes: North-south runway

Y2gitp2.png    6vKET3z.png

If you're wondering whether I ever build airports further from KSC and/or off the equator...?  Yes, I do.  (I have so far only published about a third of my stock of airports.  So stay tuned!)

Nor have I limited myself to Kerbin!  I have two spaceports for the Mun (including one at my long-time favorite equatorial munar site), plus one on a very high (equatorial) flat-top mountain located on...

well, let's just say that one is called "Mauve Mountain".  :)

Oh boy I like this. I'm still waiting for end state KSP but this will be in that save game.

On 7/12/2021 at 12:47 PM, Zacspace said:

and I can't seem to get launchsites configured to behave consistently

That's a known bug with launchsites placed increasingly far from Kerbin. Someone forked KK and fixed it but that fix hasn't yet made it to the official release(s) of KK.

18 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Deve ser "GameData"   e já deve existir também. Haverá diretórios Squad lá, além de outros mods; além disso, se você instalou o KerbalKonstructs & KerbinSide, eles já estarão no GameData também.

I made a mistake, sorry. The correct directory is "GameData", not "Game Data".

The problem are the launchsites don't show up on my KK and on the tracking station.

Log: 

Player.log

thanks for the supporting guys!

4 hours ago, Conext_ said:

launchsites don't show up on my KK and on the tracking station.

All the sites loaded correctly in your game;

Line 29843: Config(KK_GroupCenter) conext/Airports/Bombing Range/KK_GroupCenter_Kerbin_Bombing Range/KK_GroupCenter
	Line 29863: Config(KK_GroupCenter) conext/Airports/Capetown/KK_GroupCenter_Kerbin_Capetown/KK_GroupCenter
	Line 29911: Config(KK_GroupCenter) conext/Airports/Gilligan Is/Gilligan Is_center/KK_GroupCenter
	Line 29939: Config(KK_GroupCenter) conext/Airports/Heavenly/Heavenly_center/KK_GroupCenter
	Line 29963: Config(KK_GroupCenter) conext/Airports/Kathmandu/KK_GroupCenter_Kerbin_Kathmandu/KK_GroupCenter
	Line 30019: Config(KK_GroupCenter) conext/Airports/Kraken Eyrie/Kraken Eyrie_center/KK_GroupCenter
	Line 30067: Config(KK_GroupCenter) conext/Airports/Kykuit/Kykuit_center/KK_GroupCenter
	Line 30075: Config(KK_GroupCenter) conext/Airports/Lands End/KK_GroupCenter_Kerbin_Lands End/KK_GroupCenter
	Line 30091: Config(KK_GroupCenter) conext/Airports/Lukla/KK_GroupCenter_Kerbin_Lukla/KK_GroupCenter
	Line 30139: Config(KK_GroupCenter) conext/Airports/Rembrandt/Rembrandt_center/KK_GroupCenter
	Line 30155: Config(KK_GroupCenter) conext/Airports/St Moritz/St Moritz_center/KK_GroupCenter

However:

The runways in these airports are not configured with what KK considers "launch sites".  You can add launch sites to them, but you will need to have a vessel present in each location you want to edit and then use CTL-K to start the KK editor to make changes. You can find a tutorial that explains how to do this at the following URL:  Getting Started With Kerbal Konstructs

If you check the previous posts that have each runway you downloaded the latitude and longitude coordinates are listed and these are the locations you must send a ship to to do the editing.  If you have the mod Waypoint Manager you can use it to add markers for where the airports are located.

Until launch sites are added, they will not show up in map view,  Tracking Station view or in the KK Base manager in the VAB or SPH

7 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That's a known bug with launchsites placed increasingly far from Kerbin. Someone forked KK and fixed it but that fix hasn't yet made it to the official release(s) of KK.

This explains many things, not least of all the fixation people who use this mod have with building bases on Kerbin. Good to know the issue was an actual issue and not strictly my own incompetence.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:40 PM, Caerfinon said:

I visually inspected all the locations and they are in place as designed

Thank you indeed for doing this, Caerfinon!  I appreciate the assistance.

I'll see what I can do to rectify Kykuit and also consider the utility of making bases visible on the map.  (I guess it would be easier for downloaders to turn this feature off rather than on.)

On 9/10/2021 at 12:40 PM, Zacspace said:

This explains many things

You might have a point.  I did some fooling around recently with Baikerbanur at 20.6N (on Kerbin) and THIS appeared on the Mun (at 20.6E; not definite about the 'linkage', yet):

vgNfBsn.png

Ouch!  Speaking of "speed bumps" when you are low-flying in munar equatorial orbit...  (The summit of this is 4,010m altitude.  Bonk!)

On 9/10/2021 at 10:32 PM, Hotel26 said:

consider the utility of making bases visible on the map

One thing I think I don't like about being so forthright about KK bases appearing on the map (unbidden) is that, for example, when you are trying to adjust a maneuver node to Eeloo (real example from today) and you click on the maneuver node to re-open it, you keep getting a KK base menu on Kerbin.  Hmm, how 'bout, "no, thank you".

27 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

you keep getting a KK base menu on Kerbin

You can use the KK icon in Mapview and Tracking Station to filter out the bases by type that you do not want to see. A panel similar to the Ships to display appears and lets you make selections.

3 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Ouch!  Speaking of "speed bumps" when you are low-flying in munar equatorial orbit...  (The summit of this is 4,010m altitude.  Bonk!)

Have you been seeing more of these spontaneous formations recently? When was the last time you had some mashed potatoes...?

Spoiler

AB2PNRa.jpg

:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.