Kerbal Konstructs Airport Exchange

I’m interested in contributing a few airports to this- I had done a similar project in the past just for myself, which has sadly been lost to the sands of ssd cleanups.

Here’s where I put them, roughly.

213-B2122-DA6-A-4-C4-A-9-DD5-EB62125-A9-

I’ll be recreating these slowly and posting the zips here as I finish.

Spoiler

Arroyo Airstrip- a tier 2 runway with several outbuildings and a boat dock. SWW of Dessert.

Port Tijan- 1800m runway on a small island (possibly with “resort” buildings nearby). SSE of Arroyo.

Erran Mountain Airport- Landings from the East only are advised, as one of the tallest mountains on Kerbin necessitiate a 25 degree glide slope from the West. N of Arroyo.

Riverrun Airport- small airport, right next to the end of the big river to the West.

Weatherford Interkerbin- 2 large crossed runways with an associated terminal. On the peninsula shaped like Spain north of the KSC continent.

Gall-Peters Regional- tier 3 runway for servicing the arctic, North of KSC (if only the map, as by the name, reflected how close it is to the poles)

CH Bay Air Station- tucked into a cove, exactly on the equator East of KSC.

Wheatlong Waypoint- Tier 2 airport for Northern hemisphere refueling stops, NNE of CH Bay.

Virgin Kalaxy- Airport (intended for suborbital tourism I guess) in the South of the Badlands continent.

Cessnaris Interkerbin- 3-runway and 2-terminal airport a bit North of the equator on the Badlands continent

Hahn Regional- Small airstrip at the very Northeast of the Badlands continent

Rutherford Regional- A bit south of Woomerang, just a small airstrip really

Crater Observatory- Runway at SL and observatory buildings at the top of the crater mountains.

Area 18 (forgot to mark it)- On the equator at the West-most part of the Desert- no actual runways, just the runway light statics over a large smoothed patch of terrain.

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

Airport: Narita (NRT)

Download: Narita to ./GameData/<your name>/Airports/Narita.zip and unzip.

Body: Kerbin   Lat: 47.57S   Long: 127.85W   Elev: 61m

Description: An international gateway to the Far West.  Welcome to the Occident.

Notes: If ATC directs you to make a landing on "2-7-Right", please do ensure you use the one on the right -- and not the "other" 27R.  Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

ReuiVTk.png    7sPhYRY.png

0Wl8jix.png 

Edited by Hotel26

• 1 month later...

Back in the day I used to love designing practical aircraft but had a lack of airports to fly them to. 
I've just reinstalled KSP, KK and KSR along with all your airports :)

Edit; are the airports 'openable' bases in KK base manager? 

Edited by Goddess Bhavani

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone, especially @Hotel26 and @Caerfinon.

The ASET Avionics Pack modification from @alexustas 

uses IVA ILS. It is necessary to tune in to the radio beacons from the cockpit of the aircraft and use them to land (as on a real plane). Maybe it's worth implementing something similar here? It would be interesting to land at an airfield with two lanes, for example : 

On 9/28/2021 at 1:42 PM, Hotel26 said:

Description: An international gateway to the Far West.  Welcome to the Occident.

Notes: If ATC directs you to make a landing on "2-7-Right", please do ensure you use the one on the right -- and not the "other" 27R.  Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

0Wl8jix.png 

or: 

On 7/12/2021 at 9:44 PM, chadgaskerman said:

xR3WIqs.png

Work here is coming along nicely, still unsure what I'm going to put between the spaceport and the port.

In theory, the implementation of such a function should not be difficult.

Very interesting topic.  Some thoughts:

1. Kerbal Konstructs has a kind of airport direction aid ("Landing Guide") but it's not set up for ILS and would not be satisfying to IRL pilots.
  2. If there were some kind of Navigation Aid Definition standard (of a kind of "config file" kind that multiple mods could conform to), I'd be very willing to augment my airports with definition files.
  3. I have been interested myself in building a rudimentary mod to support enroute and approach navigation but I wouldn't have the skill to do anything IVA (hence #2, which would open things up to modders to use a common "backbone").
  4. I do use Atmospheric Autopilot to enter coords for an IAF (Initial Approach Fix) to approximate the flavor of an instrument approach (typically VOR).  (Sometimes pointing the camera skyward to simulate zero visibility as I fly the approach to "minimums".)
Edited by Hotel26

13 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Kerbal Konstructs has a kind of airport direction aid ("Landing Guide") but it's not set up for ILS and would not be satisfying to IRL pilots.

As I know, Kerbal Konstructs has an entry assistance system in the form of four lights that light up red or white depending on the flight path. I didn't find another one.

If there were some kind of Navigation Aid Definition standard (of a kind of "config file" kind that multiple mods could conform to), I'd be very willing to augment my airports with definition files.

Such a standard exists. Truth...so far, on runways 90 and 27 of KSC airport.

Look at Jebbesen® Kerbin Aerocharts.

It is located on the main page ASET Avionics Pack.

I have been interested myself in building a rudimentary mod to support enroute and approach navigation but I wouldn't have the skill to do anything IVA (hence #2, which would open things up to modders to use a common "backbone").

Such a standard exists and is called ASET Avionics and ASET Props. There are all the necessary devices and the functionality of the mod itself.
I looked at these mods a bit and I can say that the airport data (2 KSC lanes) is sewn inside the plugin itself, and not in a separate configuration file. Perhaps @alexustas did not expect that someone would be going to use this functionality in their modification. At least I didn't find a separate configuration file where this data would be stored.

In theory, this data should provide the coordinates of the points, their height, flight course, receiver tuning frequency, signal power (at least the signal capture range is shown on the map, so you can talk about the signal power or the indication of the radius of its reception) and Morse code (if any). If so, then you can easily create the same for any airfield and add it to your mod (as I would like to see it in Kerbin Side Remastered, where there are a lot of airports, but the real ILS is in one place).

I can't ask to redo the code @alexustas, because he last appeared here on September 1, 2019 and is unlikely to appear in the near future.

ASET Avionics and ASET Props are essentially a set of 3-d models and textures (not counting the small ASET Props plugin) that use other mods, such as RPM by @JonnyOThan or MAS by @MOARdV.

Here you need the help of a programmer, for example @linuxgurugamer or anyone else you know who can help.
You just need to pull the KSC data from the ASET Props plugin into a separate configuration file and make this plugin read similar configs that can be added to each airport.
And so, it will turn out to be a kind of "standard", which exists in a small volume even now.

On 9/28/2021 at 1:42 PM, Hotel26 said:

0Wl8jix.png 

P. S. It seems to me, or is there a mistake in the name of the bands? In theory, there should not be different letters on the runway.

• 2 months later...

@Hotel26

Some stupid KK beginner questions:

1. Are your Airports-zips complete with all assets? Do they conflict, in case the assets are already used by another mod (e.g. in my case: I already have KSC Extended, Omegas Statics and Tundra Space Center installed)

2. Are your Airports openable Launch sites in the KK-menue? If not, would you consider setting them up this way? Otherwise what can I do to make them launchsites and persist these settings in case of new playthroughs etc? 

(I am no expert on building stuff in KK. Just a user of nicely arranged airports)

Edited by Rakete

Hello, @Rakete and thanks for the interest.

10 hours ago, Rakete said:

Are your Airports-zips complete with all assets?

Yes, they are self-contained (one for each airport) and they should each unload[1] into GameData/Hotel26/Airports/<airport-name>/ independently of each other.  I've organized them this way so that you can pick-and-choose but I may soon add a compendium zip that includes all (and delete what you don't want).  That would be convenient for the first-time down loader.

10 hours ago, Rakete said:

Are your Airports openable Launch sites in the KK-menue?

I don't think they are currently but I've had this request before and also the suggestion of adding spawn points at each airport.  I'll make this happen if I can do it unobtrusively.

One thing about the way my latest versions are set up is to not list a marker on the Map View.  I find those markers get in the way of maneuver nodes.  I think this is an independent issue, though, and they could still be openable.  (All the more reason in fact to have them on an accessible menu.)

I'll ping you when I've done any/all of the above.

[1] may need work, as this is the intended location in GameData but the zips may not be structured this way.  If not, unzip them into a temporary directory and move them, but I will amend this to make it clearer and easier to install.

Edited by Hotel26

• 6 months later...

I've started a new project. I'm "reimagining"  Kerbin Side with an mind to building it to be visually compatible with Parallax.

I'm going to have some time on my hands for the next little while and it seems like a good way to pass the time.  

• I have started working on updating some missing elements. (Like Commnet dishes for stock DSN locations that don't have them. )
  • There will not be any other alterations of the stock sites and new elements will not be built at the known locations of other mod's sites.
  • I have mapped out about 22 regions each will have a major site and 2-5 smaller sites. 
  • I will be using a lot of statics from older KK mods that provide a unique look and have some good old KSP lore to them.
  • Navigation tools will be provided data for flight plans and directions. 

Aleutia Tracking Station

• Located in the southern hemisphere on Aleutia Island it provides additional CommNet coverage for polar orbits.
  • Comes equipped with living quarters, radio tower, and a helicopter pad with landing lights.
  • Parked to the side of the Barracks is a fuel truck if you need to top up the tank, (Not shown) 
  • installation is raised about 2-3 meters higher than snap to terrain to avoid ground cover. MapDecal set to remove larger scatter.     

zwEYTZT.png 

• 11 months later...

I would like to first show you the old Cannes airport, built June 11, 2023:

Spoiler

It's quite a nice, provincial airport, I suppose, but even the series of five, smaller MapDecals have made a nasty gash in the countryside.  Somewhat putrid, n'est-ce pas?

It blotted out a lake, as well; home to many purple-striped/spotted zebra-giraffe fish.  Environmental damage.

Y1olOSY.jpg    ZD7DPOF.jpg    TKWmpl7.jpg

OK, so let's innovate...

Here is the new (experimental) Cannes airport:

Spoiler

Hmm,  I dunno...  No MapDecals.  The only requirement is that the runway ends allow a run-off to avoid total mishap.

aEu2USr.jpg    0MAfDxq.jpg

:)  :)

Well, I'm upgrading Cannes today because I am installing equipment for an NDB approach.

I've using the radio tower for the NDB signal.  Crafty!?

Here's my Swisjet Plus Ultra inbound on radial 300, attempting a landing on runway 32.

8wZFE2s.jpg

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.