Can anybody see or use computers or smartphones in the dreams ?

kerbiloid

Can anybody see and/or use computers or smartphones in the dreams ? ("Use" = "type and/or read", not "keep at ear and talk"; "dream" = "sleep time video", not "desire")  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Can anybody see and/or use computers or smartphones in the dreams ?

• I normally can see and use such device in my dreams
    • I normally can see such device as a furniture object but can't use it
    • I can never see such device even as a furniture object.

Just from interest.

While all my life since 1980s is a human-computer symbiosis, and I spend most part of the time at a computer and sometimes with smartphone, I can never see any display devices in my dreams.

It happened just twice or thrice, for less than a minute, and the computers were looking more like the ancient arcade game machines.

Several times I have seen non-personal peripheral devices like old-style (on-floor) printers and tapes, but never a computer itself.

This class of objects just doesn't exist in my dreams.

This was puzzling me for years, as the first thing I could expect in the dream would be a computer. But no, never happens.

The series Evil, s01e01, ~30:00+ looks explaining this.

A spoiler, containing the possible explanation.

Spoiler

The main charactress talks to a nightmare having a sheet of paper with a caption attached to the ceiling.
She can't read it, and explains to the nightmare that when a human is asleep, the Wernicke's area is inactive and it makes reading impossible.
So, this means that she is asleep, and the nightmare is not real.

So, it looks like this is a similar case.

As the computer/smartphone display is for reading and typing, so probably it's the area of the Wernicke's area.

This probably should prevent the display devices usage when sleeping, and make the display a strange weird chaotic object with no function in the usually looking dream reality.

But what still wonders me: iIt should be at least a part of furniture. But I never see a computer hull or a keyboard.  No signs of computer presence at all.

In the Matrix world. How was Neo typing and reading when he was sleeping?

If our world was Matrix, how could I type this text?

Edited by kerbiloid

Wernicke's area disconnect is a likely and logical conclusion.

For reasons, I am familiar with various brain and mental "condition's" i.e. OCD, ADHD, autism, and in my laymen experience it all relates to the fact that we are all wired differently and our realities are seperate. You even touched on the subject of individual realities in another post and to me, that explains it enough for myself.

The matrix is much more than a dream, it is the ultimate augmented and virtual reality. If you have ever used VR goggles, the fact that what you see is not real does not result in areas of the brain disconnecting or resting. You can still read and write. So it is the same for the matrix X 100. Visual, tactile, and audio stimuli are directly fed to the central nervous system and the cerebral cortex. Instead of two super small monitors.

Usually I am just inside the video game, rather than playing it through an interface. Sometimes I still do hold the controller in my hands, though. I did have one dream right after a solar eclipse where I used my Steam library on an actual computer to play a cursed game.

Sometimes my pre-sleep musings involve imagining I'm looking through a monitor at something rather than experiencing it myself. When this happens, I have a much harder time falling asleep.

I do have a red emergency stop switch in my dreams that I can use to wake up.

Edited by cubinator

38 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Usually I am just inside the video game, rather than playing it through an interface. Sometimes I still do hold the controller in my hands, though. I did have one dream right after a solar eclipse where I used my Steam library on an actual computer to play a cursed game.

Sometimes my pre-sleep musings involve imagining I'm looking through a monitor at something rather than experiencing it myself. When this happens, I have a much harder time falling asleep.

I do have a red emergency stop switch in my dreams that I can use to wake up.

When I still had dreams (never do anymore) I did not have a smart phone nor did I use one nor did I have a PC.

I have dreamed of going to the old arcade rooms, but the dreams always lead to some action movie adventure... with me nearly almost always dying except for me having the power to end the dream right before that happens.

I have been shot at, nearly ran over, and choked. Out of them all only the choking bothered me, as I felt that. I have the power to stop dreams midway so bullets never ever hit me... I just end the dream and wake up.

For some reason I am always conscious and aware that I am in a dream... I know it is not real.

So generally speaking I have fun until things become too dangerous, or I am about to have fun and the dream stops without me wanting it to.

I never have had much in the way of superpowers in my dreams ever. Except as a young child I flew once... probably inspired from watching superman.

After that my only power was the abiity to stop dreams outright... besides being strong enough (never superhuman though) to usually defeat or at least go toe to toe with whatever monster or human enemy confronted me. With my bare hands.

That's how I survived the choking during a dream. A winged creature choked me but instead of shutting off the dream as per the usual I choked him back till it faded away and disappeared..

Edited by Spacescifi

I can't really control things in my dreams. So to me they're a "furniture" if it does exist, and even if I interacted with it it's going according to the "plan" of my dream (which I have little control over).

Just a thought.

As the display & texting devices get more and more common, isn't it the point where a half (a majority?) of humankind will stop seeing the current reality in dreams, being limited with pre-internet epoch?

Btw kitchen and washing stuff also have text displays.

On 7/10/2021 at 3:29 PM, kerbiloid said:

Just from interest.

While all my life since 1980s is a human-computer symbiosis, and I spend most part of the time at a computer and sometimes with smartphone, I can never see any display devices in my dreams.

It happened just twice or thrice, for less than a minute, and the computers were looking more like the ancient arcade game machines.

Several times I have seen non-personal peripheral devices like old-style (on-floor) printers and tapes, but never a computer itself.

This class of objects just doesn't exist in my dreams.

This was puzzling me for years, as the first thing I could expect in the dream would be a computer. But no, never happens.

The series Evil, s01e01, ~30:00+ looks explaining this.

A spoiler, containing the possible explanation.

Hide contents

The main charactress talks to a nightmare having a sheet of paper with a caption attached to the ceiling.
She can't read it, and explains to the nightmare that when a human is asleep, the Wernicke's area is inactive and it makes reading impossible.
So, this means that she is asleep, and the nightmare is not real.

So, it looks like this is a similar case.

Ran into something like this not long ago, it was one of the half awake dreams about something I had to go to do something, I got it from an mail or an message. 
It was so real I looked trough my mail and messages for clues, thinking it might be something I passed over.
No here I did not read anything it was just something important I had to do, my covid vaccination was overdo so probably that. 

About weird dreams, I once woke up because an dream become implausible. I was in the army and some had done an prank on me. 
So in the dream some had filled my locker with gelatin, as in I faced an almost 2 meter high wall of it. yes it would collapse and it would be very hard to pull off so I woke up realizing this. 

i find myself having minecraft dreams, but i dont recall me using a computer, im in the world doing minecraft things, not playing games on a computer. though i did have a nightmare once involving the linux terminal. im not typing at a screen or anything, i seem to be willing commands to appear in void space. they keep failing, i keep typing ls but my files keep disapearing, i keep getting the case wrong, i keep forgetting sudo, the horror, the horror.  or was i awake. i always say the real nightmare starts when you wake up. 

i think my most disturbing dreams are actually about my brother's ex wife. 

Edited by Nuke

I can sometimes see or use computers in dreams, but recently I had a dream where for some reason I used a 1990s era desktop touch-tone telephone rather than a modern smartphone. The dream was about a cross-country bike trip, and I do remember looking at a map of the northeast US, but the borders were completely wrong, and I only remember reading "New York" on the map, and vaguely perceiving "Pennsylvania" and "Maryland" on the map all though it's entirely possible it's a confabulation.

On the subject of weird dreams I did have two distinct dreams in which I realized that I was in a dream. Although not really. It's confusing, but I believe that realizing it was a dream was nothing but part of the dream, therefore I never had a true lucid. I also had several dreams where I distinctly believed that said dream was reality and commented upon it. But most nights, I have no dreams, or they're so incoherent that they don't form a structure.

8 hours ago, Nuke said:

i find myself having minecraft dreams, but i dont recall me using a computer, im in the world doing minecraft things, not playing games on a computer.

The same. Many times was dreaming about Duke Nukem 3d, and later Fallout, but never at computer, always inside.

And just once had seen a pip-boy screen with icons and numbers (distances) but with nothing to read.

Just had a dream a few nights ago that reminded me of this thread. Actually thought of this thread in the dream, so I guess I'm on this forum too much. :/

I had my phone and was trying to text someone. I was interacting with it more or less normally, but kept making mistakes like the calibration was off on the touch screen. I would try and type in an e and an a would come up. I would have to make three or four attempts before I got the right letter, but it only happened once every few sentences. Finally I just said screw it and then the dream changed. That usually is what ends up happening to me whenever I do something like that, but if I try something more complex like fly a jet or something (I play a decent amount of DCS World), I have no issues.

I distinctly remember having a lucid dream last year where I was texting on a modern desktop with what turned out to be my own subconscious. For those that have lucid dreams, it goes without saying that all details of such dreams are 'distinctly remembered' because they are imprinted as memories as if they actually happened, instead of the more normal evaporating shortly after waking.

As is the case with most of my lucid dreams, I first began suspecting that I was dreaming so I looked for a cue to tell me. My normal cues are looking out of windows to see if the scenery matches my expectation or reading text repeatedly to see if it changes. In this case, the text on my computer said gibberish, and when I reread it, it said different gibberish. Aha! This is a dream! So I read it again, and it said "please stop doing that". :D

This started up the text conversation with what turned out to be my own subconscious.

I say all that to say this: I don't know how to answer this question. I know I have interacted with a modern computer in my dreams, but that was an abnormal instance and not a detail I'd normally pay attention to. I have no idea how often I use computers/ cell phones in my dreams if ever.

Best,

-Slashy

1 hour ago, Flying dutchman said:

I can use it, but can't type anything correctly, 

Yea, I often have problems typing in a password correctly, or trying to compose an email, etc.

I've also had similar problems trying to solve simple math problems in dreams

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.