[1.12.5] Kcalbeloh System Planet Pack (v1.1.4) - A journey to a black hole (Nov 11, 2023)

Jason Kerman

Official Release: v1.0.0

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f

After more than a year of development, I'm glad to announce that Kcalbeloh System has finally come to the official release.

I really appreciate everyone who has followed this mod. Also thanks to everyone who has provided suggestions, bug reports, or any other forms of help.

The official release doesn't mean the end of the development. I have some plans for future updates to make it better.

Happy launchings!

On 9/23/2022 at 8:20 PM, Snappy said:

This looks sick! Could you add it to ckan? I'm to lazy to manually install.

18 hours ago, bungling said:

yes please do this, i went and manually installed it but putting it on ckan would definitely help grow this amazing mod

Currently not, because one of my dependency (newest Kopernicus Expansion) is not on CKAN. I will ask KopEX development.

1 hour ago, bungling said:

do you think its possible to create a version of this mod where it replaces Kerbol? with some orbit changes obviously but it would be nice to see Kcalbeloh from Kerbin yknow, would make getting up close with the black hole alot easier and less buggy

Technically it's easy, but replacing Kerbol with Kcalbeloh will make it almost impossible to transfer to another planet in earlay game.

7 hours ago, bungling said:

oh and: 

parallax doesnt like me starting on efil (attempting reinstall)
edit: forgot to disable ksc extended and whatnot

Currently it's not a good idea using parallax scatters with homeswith.

7 hours ago, bungling said:

is there a possibility for kerbalism compatibility in the future?

I can but it's not my top priority at the moment.

1 hour ago, orangewarning said:

this looks interesting

where is this system in relation to the stock kerbol system? Does it physically exist in the same space or is it only accesible through the wormhole?

it does physically exist but without mods its pretty much unreachable, its at minimum 1+ terameters away (really REALLY far away)

more questions: would setting the distance factor to something like 0.01 work? if not, is there any way i can manually adjust the distance from kcalbeloh to kerbol?

edit: nevermind i found out how to manually adjust distance

edit2: im taking my sweet time getting kcalbeloh as close as possible to kerbol so that A: i can see it clearly from kerbin and B: i dont require the wormhole to get to it, with some slight SOI changed, semi-major changes and alot of tweaking ill get it done

edit3: i got it as close as im comfortable with (ie: its closing in on the limit where id have to put in more effort to get it closer) https://prnt.sc/jEGn9qe4TV5n

Edited by bungling

SJa9q8O.png

might be too close eh?

On 9/27/2022 at 3:18 PM, Jason Kerman said:

Technically it's easy, but replacing Kerbol with Kcalbeloh will make it almost impossible to transfer to another planet in earlay game.

Currently it's not a good idea using parallax scatters with homeswith.

I can but it's not my top priority at the moment.

can you do it anyway sometime? ill figure it out

4 hours ago, bungling said:

SJa9q8O.png

might be too close eh?

can you do it anyway sometime? ill figure it out

Probably not. I don't think it's a good idea for gameplay.

On 10/2/2022 at 11:07 PM, Jason Kerman said:

what about... a scaled down version of the black hole or same size black hole but with the mass of one (or two) kerbols, that way it would pretty much be purely visuals and not really affect that much gameplay, the accretion disk would obviously provide the light to planets, you could run engine isp x2 (the mod) in order to make it a bit more fair early game

(im sorry i just really want a good mod that replaces kerbol with a black hole)

Edited by bungling

Hi - I had a few minutes today so I gave this a go. Unfortunately I didn't have great success. 

I guess to sum up my issues: the KSC isn't working, seemingly because it's not in the right place or something. You can see in the screenshot below that the KSC isn't even on the planet. (I'm set to homeswitch to Life, errr Efil)

The video below shows the KSC slightly attached to the planet, but moving ... and that's not a typo.

My log file and my cfg for this mod are in this folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HwefF9kUnvd27ACU8ZTQ8M7ecISzFJ7k?usp=sharing

A quick excerpt of a (probably) unrelated error:

Spoiler

[LOG 12:29:02.047] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'UserSettings' from assembly 'SigmaReplacementsSkyBox'
[LOG 12:29:02.048] [SigmaLog SR] WARNING: Incorrect plugin location => F:\Stock\GameData\KcalbelohSystem\Plugins\SigmaReplacementsSkyBox\SigmaReplacementsSkyBox.dll

A picture of ground assets disconnected from the planet:

Spoiler

0WmYUUB.png

And here is a video showing several different issues. Not sure where to start.

Spoiler

I also tried to use 2.5 rescale by installing SigmaDimensions and setting the cfg value, but then the KSC is underground (or somewhere) so I've gone back to just trying to get stock scale home switch to work. Have tried both home planets, btw.

Any ideas or other info you might need?

Thanks! (p.s. I remember all these same issues from when I tried this pack back in both Alpha 1.05 and Beta 1.2)

edit: I'm on your discord, same username, in case that's easier.

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Hi - I had a few minutes today so I gave this a go. Unfortunately I didn't have great success. 

I guess to sum up my issues: the KSC isn't working, seemingly because it's not in the right place or something. You can see in the screenshot below that the KSC isn't even on the planet. (I'm set to homeswitch to Life, errr Efil)

The video below shows the KSC slightly attached to the planet, but moving ... and that's not a typo.

My log file and my cfg for this mod are in this folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HwefF9kUnvd27ACU8ZTQ8M7ecISzFJ7k?usp=sharing

A quick excerpt of a (probably) unrelated error:

Hide contents

[LOG 12:29:02.047] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'UserSettings' from assembly 'SigmaReplacementsSkyBox'
[LOG 12:29:02.048] [SigmaLog SR] WARNING: Incorrect plugin location => F:\Stock\GameData\KcalbelohSystem\Plugins\SigmaReplacementsSkyBox\SigmaReplacementsSkyBox.dll

A picture of ground assets disconnected from the planet:

Hide contents

0WmYUUB.png

And here is a video showing several different issues. Not sure where to start.

Hide contents

I also tried to use 2.5 rescale by installing SigmaDimensions and setting the cfg value, but then the KSC is underground (or somewhere) so I've gone back to just trying to get stock scale home switch to work. Have tried both home planets, btw.

Any ideas or other info you might need?

Thanks! (p.s. I remember all these same issues from when I tried this pack back in both Alpha 1.05 and Beta 1.2)

edit: I'm on your discord, same username, in case that's easier.

Thank for reporting! It's a known bug mainly affects the visual effect. See below:

On 9/20/2022 at 12:02 AM, Jason Kerman said:

It's a known type of bug, maybe caused by KSP/Kopernicus. As far as I know it is due to the home planet is too far away from the center of the universe (the Sun in KSP). Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it. But the good part is it's mostly a visual bug so it doesn't affect the gameplay much.

Currently rescale and homeswitch can not work together for unknown reason. I don't recommend using them together.

Edited by Jason Kerman

1 hour ago, bigyihsuan said:

Looks good, will this be coming to CKAN?

If you press Ctrl-F and type "CKAN", it's pretty easy to find the last time this was asked:

On 9/24/2022 at 11:54 PM, Jason Kerman said:

Currently not, because one of my dependency (newest Kopernicus Expansion) is not on CKAN. I will ask KopEX development.

xxTCxw7.png

How interesting. This is Rescale = 10, HomeSwitch = Efil. I don't have any other planet mods installed, and no RESCALE mod either.

EDIT: maybe I do need to install 10x RESCALE, since the Kerbol system still exists and is at 1x.
EDIT 2: installed 10x RESCAL, set Rescale = 1, now the game's not loading into a fresh save. Very fun.
EDIT 3: I did not scroll far enough up and just saw the posts above. Uninstalling RESCALE, trying again with Rescale = 10, HomeSwitch = Efil.
EDIT 4: Would it be possible to completely replace the Kerbol system instead of switching the home? I think that would help (a little) with the KSC drifting from its actual position.

Edited by bigyihsuan

13 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

xxTCxw7.png

How interesting. This is Rescale = 10, HomeSwitch = Efil. I don't have any other planet mods installed, and no RESCALE mod either.

EDIT: maybe I do need to install 10x RESCALE, since the Kerbol system still exists and is at 1x.
EDIT 2: installed 10x RESCAL, set Rescale = 1, now the game's not loading into a fresh save. Very fun.
EDIT 3: I did not scroll far enough up and just saw the posts above. Uninstalling RESCALE, trying again with Rescale = 10, HomeSwitch = Efil.
EDIT 4: Would it be possible to completely replace the Kerbol system instead of switching the home? I think that would help (a little) with the KSC drifting from its actual position.

Currently homeswitch and rescale cannot work together for unknown reasons. 

The KSC icon drifting is a visual bug caused by home planet being too far away from center of universe (Kerbol/the Sun). I have tried to replace the Kerbol system, but since the scale of Kcalbeloh system is still too large, it doesn't help the KSC icon drifting issue. I can talk to Kopernicus or KSPCommuinityFixes development team to see if it is possible to be fixed.

The rescale setting only applies to Kcalbeloh system bodies. If you want stock system rescaled, you need to install some other recale mod for stock system. If there is any issue, you can tell me what rescale mod you are using and I can take a look.

6 hours ago, Jason Kerman said:

The rescale setting only applies to Kcalbeloh system bodies. If you want stock system rescaled, you need to install some other recale mod for stock system. If there is any issue, you can tell me what rescale mod you are using and I can take a look.

I'm using @Galileo's RESCALE configs from here: https://github.com/Galileo88/Rescale/releases

I'll try using @Profiremu23's Rescale configs (https://github.com/Profiremu23/RescaleContinued) later today, and report back if anything happens.

EDIT: Used RescaleContinued, got a full-on game crash this time.

KSP.log: https://privatebin.net/?7511d6622183bdb7#Fmv6WD2CSpqfBEFTSGHMCuGS5ivrRHLuXfkTtGLckKMD

Edited by bigyihsuan

On 10/2/2022 at 11:07 PM, Jason Kerman said:

You could have the black hole system completely replace the Kerbol system, and force a home switch to Elif or Suluco.

On 10/5/2022 at 1:23 PM, bigyihsuan said:

I'm using @Galileo's RESCALE configs from here: https://github.com/Galileo88/Rescale/releases

I'll try using @Profiremu23's Rescale configs (https://github.com/Profiremu23/RescaleContinued) later today, and report back if anything happens.

EDIT: Used RescaleContinued, got a full-on game crash this time.

KSP.log: https://privatebin.net/?7511d6622183bdb7#Fmv6WD2CSpqfBEFTSGHMCuGS5ivrRHLuXfkTtGLckKMD

It seems you are still using homeswitch and rescale together. Currently they can't work together for unknown reasons.

Anyway, I will also include a stock rescale config in future updates.

On 10/5/2022 at 5:14 PM, bigyihsuan said:

You could have the black hole system completely replace the Kerbol system, and force a home switch to Elif or Suluco.

That will not work. It's a KSP/Kopernicus bug and cannot be fixed on my side.

Made a new account specifically for this post, wanted to say thank you for all the hard work! Having a blast keeping myself in the dark about specifics of the system aside from the total planets and moons there are (so when I know to stop looking...). Playing this in career mode alongside Research Bodies and Tarsier Space Technologies has made discovering everything a treat. You've had me working on an excel spreadsheet like a madman setting up functions to calculate delta velocities as I discover all the parameters all night lol. Thanks!

Edited by TysonY2