What do you NOT want in KSP 2

MKI

This is essentially the "opposite" thread. As everyone has ideas of what they would want in KSP 2, but I realized I don't think anyone is thinking about stuff they will not want to be added into KSP 2 compared to KSP 1, at least in the stock game, as anything is possible with mods.

I for one would like to see the removal of some of the limiting gameplay mechanics, like basic SAS, and Kerbal experience ranks. Along with removal of parts of the KSC, such as the Administration Building and possibly even contracts.

I feel like limiting simple gameplay mechanic such as SAS and Kerbal ranks are too "artificial" of a limitation, and becomes more pointless later with more advanced parts and higher rank Kerbals. 

For KSP 2, which will have a whole colony mechanic and interstellar travel, some of the KSC features will seem out-dated or out of focus. It's really hard to fathom why I'd care about contracts reputation of my space program when I have Kerbals on Mars building a colony. Its possible some aspects have been changed to be more streamlined, but I do hope some things aren't kept just as-is. 

You can already disable both in options, they apply primarily to career mode, which makes sense.

Career mode needs an overhaul. I don't particularly want a KSP1 style career mode, where there's no loosing, just soft locking.

I don't want to share my money and science points with others in multiplayer.

I don't want it to feel too 'grindy' and I want to feel accomplished when I advance.

While I personally am a fan of progression, the career mode leaves much to be desired. In the original, it is either too easy or too hard. Even using the options I can't seem to find a sweet spot. And some items researched don't exactly seem to fit the tiers they are assigned or the contracts that are offered. I am happy they are doing away with KSP career style as it is, but I hope it's not replaced with something worse.

Procedural parts.  Or at least, very many of them.  I am probably in the minority on this.   I can understand a few limited items, but I do not want it to feel like Simple Planes (which is not to diss on Simple Planes, I just like KSP as it is in that department).   The forced choices require me to be creative. It is more of a puzzle that way.

I'm sure someone will create a KSP2 Tweakscale mod for those that wish it.

No artificial limits in the early game. Ex. Removing  common, helpful functions because they may confuse new players.

Forcing veteran players to grind through the basics before we can really start playing. (We can land on the mun already, Why must we prove it? Let us run.)

Bugs (I know they happen, but it has to be said :)

The kraken 

7 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I would not be sad if they found a way to eliminate right clicking parts and clicking one of a dozen randomly sorted buttons to perform a critical task.

I'm talking .no.part.action.windows.at.all.

That would be an interesting change. But then where do all the fancy buttons go? :confused:

2 minutes ago, Lancasterace said:

Manned before  unmanned. I want to build stuff like small probes and sounding rockets far before manned spacecraft.

Do you mean unmanned before manned then? :-)  I agree with that. 

Edited by Klapaucius

12 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

You don't want stability assist in the game? O_o

Good luck keeping your rocket oriented.

He doesn't want limited SAS, IE:early probes and unlevelled Kerbals. He wants the full SAS experience right out of the gate.

16 hours ago, TLTay said:

Another delay. That's what I do not want. Anything else can be worked with.

Rushing the game would only mean more bugs on launch. Do realise that people behind the scenes are actually taking time to develop the game and that being forced to hit a deadline would only get KSP 2 to approach just how broken KSP 1 is. I believe preventing further delays is the opposite of what everyone else wants. We just want a game that's had time to be developed.

I have to agree with kerbal skills, mostly. I could see some abilities getting added on but I hope they apply population-wide when you hit different milestones, rather than having to train each kerbal by touring them around landing them places.  That gets old quick. 

36 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

He doesn't want limited SAS, IE:early probes and unlevelled Kerbals. He wants the full SAS experience right out of the gate.

That's called sandbox or difficulty options... it's already in the game...

Probes where you have to manually tell them to do stuff. If I put instruments on a satellite if should start gathering data automatically and not have to wait till it gets over a certain location.

In KSP1 the most obvious usage for probes would be for missions where you have to take readings above x altitude  at an specific location yet that is easily among the most tedious things to do

On 7/12/2021 at 6:19 PM, MKI said:

For KSP 2, which will have a whole colony mechanic and interstellar travel, some of the KSC features will seem out-dated or out of focus. It's really hard to fathom why I'd care about contracts reputation of my space program when I have Kerbals on Mars building a colony. Its possible some aspects have been changed to be more streamlined, but I do hope some things aren't kept just as-is.

I don't think that rules out contracts, only that their scope would need to be reworked. You'll definitely start off landing an Mün and Minmus, and eventually reach contracts where you are tasked with launching a massive ship from Bop or populating a base on Rusk with 1000 Kerbals

I don't want micromanagement for large ships and large colonies (starting out and early colonies would be fine, just to get them started). Expanding them would be nice, but resource management would be a pain when you simply want to explore. Ideally after set-up, one could just leave them be until you want to expand.

7 hours ago, MKI said:

That would be an interesting change. But then where do all the fancy buttons go? :confused:

I don't know. I'm not a video game designer. But neither was the person who decided that was the correct way to go with the UI.

5 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Rushing the game would only mean more bugs on launch. Do realise that people behind the scenes are actually taking time to develop the game and that being forced to hit a deadline would only get KSP 2 to approach just how broken KSP 1 is. I believe preventing further delays is the opposite of what everyone else wants. We just want a game that's had time to be developed.

versus it releasing in 2025 with just as many bugs