Telescopes in Kerbal Space Program 2 - KSP2 Suggestion

Would you like telescopes in KSP2?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like telescopes in KSP2?

• Yes. I would like to see telescopes in KSP2.
    • No. I would not like to see telescopes in KSP2.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/31/2022 at 08:00 AM

Kerbal Space Program 2. A game with interstellar  travel and new planets. A game I cannot wait for! But I have a suggestion. I think KSP2 should have cameras. In the real world astronomers, scientists, and space guys use telescopes to observe celestial bodies and stars. A lot of the information we have about space is from observations. But I think KSP2 should have cameras. It would make a lot of sense for science progression. 

If KSP2 has cameras though, I mean telescopes there shouldn’t just be one variant. Today astronomers and scientists observe the heavens with all kinds of spectrums. Gamma, visible light, ultra violet, infrared. And many more. So. I would like to suggest there shouldn't be just one variant of telescopes (or space cameras). There should be many. And each variant would specialize and observe things in a different spectrum. Of course you wouldn't unlock each variant in one node. I meann, X-Ray and Gamma telescopes would be a problem after but I think you know what I mean. So now we have gone over the variant, I would like to explain the game mechanics. 

These telescopes or space cameras would be used to earn science points by making observations, and maybe even make discoveries in a story mode ( I won't go too deep into this)! I will provide some examples of what science reports the cameras could turn out with. Also, these telescopes could possibly zoom in on planets far away and even take reports on them. Like seeing Jool from Low Kerbin Orbit, or observing Gurdamma from Kerbin. 

EXAMPLES (below):

Kerbol Example (inferred):

Kerbol is very hot. It would definitely burn a fried egg. The R and D guys could use this intel and make new parts that don't burn easily. Jool System (High Above) Example (visible light): 

Jool is very green. And Laythe it blue. Tylo is grey. Vall is bue. But where is Pol and Bop? They must be small. 

Gardumma Example (visible light):

Zooming up on Gurdamma and it's very pixelated and blurry. It seems to have water and is rocky. Maybe it is habitable? Aliens? 

The telescopes could also be used to take pictures of beautiful scenery and views of KSP2 for your background or photo collection. You could say you could aim the telescope at a plent or ship and zoom in to see it. If you have a question, comment please do so below. And vote above if you like this idea. 

Originally suggested for KSP2 here:

Oringally Suggested for KSP1 here: 

Edited by Dr. Kerbal

I think it would be interesting if use of telescopes could provide important design requirement related data.

So after observing a star or planet with a space telescope for a certain amount of time, you could get a rough calculation of the delta v requirements for travel planets or stars. Versus having to build a starship and hoping you have enough delta v, only to just slightly adjust your trajectory upon arrival at the star or planet and then flying by, out of fuel.

Now you can get such data using maneuver nodes- if I build a simple rocket with just a fuel tank, probe core, and engine, even if it has no where near enough delta v to get to Jool, using a maneuver node can give me a rough idea. This method is a bit iffy at times though.

But it would be cool to have a more "normal" and in-game way of finding out such information through telescopes, instead of having to go to the forum and use a community delta-v map which might take a couple months to be made for KSP2 (as nice as the community delta-v map is).

I think supporting a "space telescope" science-part is reasonable. If science/research is still a thing.

But I'm not sure if devoting large portions of development time to building out telescope features is important in a game built on space exploration and space colonization. 

Us humans rely on them because they are cheap compared to sending up a bucket of humans into the depths of space.

Kerbals don't have that problem, and "looking from afar" and "playing it safe" doesn't seem very Kerbal-like when they could just send a probe on a huge rocket with a bunch of boosters, or a Kerbal strapped to the top of the rocket to check things out. That seems way more Kerbal.

7 minutes ago, MKI said:

I think supporting a "space telescope" science-part is reasonable. If science/research is still a thing.

But I'm not sure if devoting large portions of development time to building out telescope features is important in a game built on space exploration and space colonization. 

Us humans rely on them because they are cheap compared to sending up a bucket of humans into the depths of space.

Kerbals don't have that problem, and "looking from afar" and "playing it safe" doesn't seem very Kerbal-like when they could just send a probe on a huge rocket with a bunch of boosters, or a Kerbal strapped to the top of the rocket to check things out. That seems way more Kerbal.

Ya. I would think space telexcopes would really only be used for sicen and career when you dont have th aparts to send kerbals to duna. Instaed you could look at it. 

1 hour ago, MKI said:

Umm.... what?

So telescopes aren't important in space exploration O_o

You do realize telescopes are the main way in which space is explored, right? Before you can send a space bucket of people to something in space you kind of need to find out where you are sending them first.. So no, telescopes aren't used just because they're cheaper...

Edited by mcwaffles2003

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

So telescopes aren't important in space exploration O_o

You do realize telescopes are the main way in which space is explored, right? Before you can send a space bucket of people to something in space you kind of need to find out where you are sending them first.. So no, telescopes aren't used just because they're cheaper...

I didn't say telescopes aren't important to space exploration. I specifically said "telescope features aren't important in a game built on space exploration".

Its one thing to know where I can go explore, its another to build features around the concept of getting that information. Such "getting of information" might be too far out of scope for a game more about going to space, than learning about what's out there to explore and how to build something to get there.

42 minutes ago, MKI said:

I didn't say telescopes aren't important to space exploration. I specifically said "telescope features aren't important in a game built on space exploration".

Its one thing to know where I can go explore, its another to build features around the concept of getting that information. Such "getting of information" might be too far out of scope for a game more about going to space, than learning about what's out there to explore and how to build something to get there.

It's just a difference of opinion then I guess. I personally would like some interesting payloads to send into space besides comms sats and kerbals and I think having the mechanic of putting telescopes into space to discover worlds in the new star systems we're discovering would be pretty cool. Also, this isn't really a new feature or anything. We already have the "SENTINEL Infrared Telescope" in the game for finding comets and asteroids so why not flesh that out?