Exoplanet ideas:

There was a new dev diary released for a few minutes today before it was retracted. Apparently it was supposed to be the Friday showcase. In any case, some celestial bodies were shown and that was one of them. 

A small and very quickly spinning icy moon that is so perfectly smooth that any craft landing on it slides around the planet in a "litho orbit" nearly perpetually.   In fact, if a lander perfectly matches the surface velocity and so isn't sliding after landing, the spin rate would hurl it back into space on an escape vector except very near the poles; thankfully the friction is way too low for this to really happen.  Current Kerbal theory is that it is possibly not a natural formation.  Evidence is inconclusive as every research base built there eventually collides with a mysterious sliding green monolith that has a difficult to predict instantaneous surface location and velocity relative to the base

First person to give it a name that doesn't contain "Mc" or "Face" names it.  So no "Slicky McSlickFace" for example

Edited by darthgently

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 9:44 AM, jastrone said:

a planet tidaly locked to the sun where the front is very rough hot and rocky but the back is ice wich has very little craters and is almost perfectly smooth and almost perfectly round. i dont have a name for it tho

On 9/20/2021 at 11:42 AM, Synonym Toast Crunch said:

A tidally locked planet in the habitable zone. The side facing away from its sun is frozen and the side facing its sun is scalding hot, but between these two is a habitable ring of perpetual twilight.

I also want a tidally locked planet with very different light and dark sides. I thought I read that Puff (the eyeball planet) was suspected tobe a bit like this.

What I want to see, is a tidally locked planet that has undergone atmospheric collapse. That is that the cold side is so cold, that components of the atmosphere begin to condense /freeze on the dark side. This thins the atmosphere, the heat transfer to the dark side via convection decreases, the night side temperature drops even more, and the cycle continues until all the atmosphere is frozen on the dark side...

Imagine a Kerbin sized world, in the "habitable zone" with no atmosphere, and C02 and nitrogen ice on the dark side, with water ice underneath.

* I realize that, as far as getting to and from orbit, this would be essentially like Tylo, but with 25% higher gravity (assuming that its Kerbin sized, at 1G surface)... but Tylo is rather unrealistic and this tidally locked world that suffered atmospheric collapse would be realistic. It would also be a bit more interesting than Tylo because the tidal locking to a star rather than planet results in a side with permenant shadow, and greater potential thermal issues - but landing near the terminator allows for continuus solar power at a reasonable or even pleasant ambient temperature. It would also make for a quite distinct difference in the two halves of the planet (and the resource distribution).

I for one think it would be interesting.

On 9/21/2021 at 1:55 AM, ffx said:

Too generic, will be boring fast

Well, to be honest, a lot of the suggestions and actual planets in KSP 1 and that have been shown in KSP2 could be dismissed like this.

Puff/the eyball planet? a world with one big liquid crater? you see the crater, make a base on its shore... aside from that, is there anything interesting about the planet?

Laythe: a near featureless ocean world. Has bulk properties basically just like kerbin, including oxygen.

Moho/Mun/Dres/Ike/ barren rocky ball, but the transfer orbits to get to them are different.

And a more generic complaint about many of the suggestions here:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SingleBiomePlanet

Edited by KerikBalm

• 2 weeks later...

Moons in polar orbits can only happen if they are captured by the planet's gravity. There are no known examples in our own solar system, although there are some highly inclined lunar orbits.

Ring systems are short-lived compared to the lifetime of a planet. The ring particles are easily disturbed by gravity, and a polar moon would tend to pull them out of the ring formation even faster.

Gonna pull something from my mod of a completely unrelated game:

Eutis

Eutis is a red planet similar to Mars, however, it has almost double the amount of earth's gravity. It's red color is due to oxidation of raw iron, and could potentially host lif- What is this? A history book? C'mon the boys in research could have made it more interesting. Basically, lots of iron = moola which equals more rockets to go to other planets, and that equals more moola. Hopefully. Anyways I'm out. BACK TO WORK INTERN!

Rel is a huge (6-8 times Jool mass) milky white Hot Jupiter. Because it’s so close to its star, is only has one moon, Thera.  Rel is tidally locked around its star, resulting in permanent winds in the atmosphere blowing toward the dark side. The atmosphere has streaks slightly darker than the white of the planet, which radiate outward from the center of the star-facing side.

Thera was initially a planet, but was captured by Rel’s gravity.  Now it’s tidally locked around Rel, but when it formed it was spinning very fast, causing many heavy, rare elements to be pushed up to the surface in a band around the equator.  

So Thera is very rich in resources, but it has twice Kerbins’s gravity and a really thick atmosphere, so getting anything into orbit is hard.  And it orbits very close to Rel, so getting Theran resources out of Rel’s SOI is extremely challenging.

• 2 weeks later...

Ys (Afrikaans for ice): 

A small rogue planet with a radioactive core enabling Pluto like cryovolcanoes, with a frozen nitrogen layer that used to be an atmosphere. Made challenging due to having no light at all and being slightly slippery, a challenge based on this would be to circumnavigate it (no visibility beyond your lights and barely any traction would make it quite interesting.)

As (pronounced: Us, afrikaans for Ash.): 

A super hot rocky planet getting vaporized by it's local star, similar to Kepler 1520 b. Challenging due to the gas jets pushing you away, immense radiation and the heat, which would limit you to the most low heat propulsion systems for fear of following the planets lead (aka: being vaporized) luckily you can very easily scavenge from the local fusion reactor (aka: star).

Edited by Hyperspace Industries

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I think about it, sharp surface features are (effectively) non-existent in KSP1, so it would be nice to have them in KSP2.  Cliffs, canyons, mountains with slopes over 45 degrees... That sort of things where you could legitimately kill a Kerbal by stepping where you shouldn't. Kerbin has some really steep mountains, which is nice, but it's kinda unique to it.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:56 PM, PlutoISaPlanet said:

They should do a dlc contest were the fans can vote on fan submitted planet ideas! That would be pretty awesome!

Yeah it's totally insane, but I have an idea for a KSP-like video game, free and open-source, with a planet maker (official) and one or two new systems each one or two updates.

Then players will propose planets, the devs will compose several realistic systems with them (in squid way (I'll use squids instead of kerbals)) and the players will vote for the one that would be added officially to the game.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:44 AM, pandaman said:

Essentially a very, very large 4 sided dice shaped 'Death Star' or 'Borg Cube' type thing.

Remembers me the gelatinous dodecahedron I used in D&D...

Hey, that's an idea! A planet made of a material which will be atmo-like on the top and its properties will get closer and closer to a liquid's ones as you go deeper, eventually becoming high-density liquid.

Of course the planet would have 12 sides, numbered from 1 to 12, the numbers are visible from the map view.

Essentially a very, very large 4 sided dice shaped 'Death Star' or 'Borg Cube' type thing.

Hey, that's an idea! A planet made of a material which will be atmo-like on the top and its properties will get closer and closer to a liquid's ones as you go deeper, eventually becoming high-density liquid.

Of course the planet would have 12 sides, numbered from 1 to 12, the numbers are visible from the map view.

EDIT: I don't know how I did, but I posted three times the same thing... :sticktongue:

Edited by Nazalassa
I just added a line. While I'm there, how was your day? Mine was pretty Kerbal, with rockets and all the stuff. Also, I m̲i̲g̲h̲t̲ need a new laptop.

5 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

Sun-Neptune, or something like that.

4 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Sun-Neptune, or something like that.

Well, that's like Sun or Neptune, both have same properties (kinda).

Also, got an idea: a planet about 42 km in diameter with an irregular surface (something between Pol and Bop), cliffs, steep slopes, and a procedurally-generated underground cave system (like what I expected on Tylo, not a dumb roof-like thing) where you could build a base, a monorail or whatever. The tunnels would be 5-meter wide and high and with a roughly circular section.

Coloration would be Tylo's one.

And why not having a cool ragdoll for Kerbals when they hit the ceiling, like a "OW !" message in the message list -- as you have when you complete or fail a contract.

Would need removing the "timewarp teleportation" or you could never land something inside.

32 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

How about Slicky McSlickFace

Hahaha

What about Face McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou McPicsou sorry the ⌘V keys got stuck sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sh*t it did it again

Edited by Nazalassa
Removed three lines of "McPicsou".