Mun contract is a bit confusing for me.

I got a contract telling me to go on an orbital spacewalk near Mun, and also to rendezvous two vessels in orbit of Mun. The first one was pretty easy and it got finished with no struggle. However the second one was a problem cause I cant tell what it means by rendezvous. Do I have to dock the ships and then return back to Kerbin? Or do I have to go really close to a spaceship that’s in orbit of the Mun?

Does it specifically say the word "dock" anywhere in the contract?

If not, then all you need to do is get them within physics load distance of each other - in other words, within roughly two kilometers.

Note that the two spacecraft performing the rendezvous must be from different launches. You cannot put two probes on the same rocket, throw them at the Mun with slightly different trajectories to separate them, and later have them meet up again once there. That won't complete the contract.

Also check the contract (and the app in the toolbar) carefully for mentions of requiring newly-launched spacecraft. This clause is common in satellite contracts, for example, and I'm not sure if it also exists for the rendezvous contract.

If you also happen to have a "build a space station in orbit of the Mun" contract, you can do both at the same time. One launch to put the station there, and another launch to either just visit it, or to add whichever missing parts didn't fit on the first launch due to bulk or weight issues. The visiting spacecraft can also be a lander looking to touch down on the surface (or coming back from it).

I’ve done it! So yes, there was no docking involved. Instead I just had to get two vessels in orbit of the Mun close together at a decent speed (like 1 km close to each other and at a speed below 50 m/s) and it counted as a rendezvous. Thanks to everyone for helping out!

Edited by TIMEFORSPACEPEOPLE

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 6:03 AM, Streetwind said:

Note that the two spacecraft performing the rendezvous must be from different launches. You cannot put two probes on the same rocket, throw them at the Mun with slightly different trajectories to separate them, and later have them meet up again once there. That won't complete the contract.

I do think however that you can take two spacecraft that were launched separately and docked in LKO, which is how I put together a lot of my interplanetary surface-return missions,  send them together to wherever the contract is, undock them, send them out of physics range of each other,  and then bring them back together to fulfill the contract.  At least I'm pretty sure I've done it that way before.  And if you can do the docking and it's the first time you've docked anything around that body, you'll get a "World's First" bonus as well.

Edited by herbal space program

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.