Engine Sounds not working after time warp and no rotating docking ports - KSP 1.12.0

• 1 month later...

I have waterfall but not better time warp and it is not only engine sounds that go away.  Other sounds go away too.  So far exiting and restarting the game brings the sounds back, but pretty soon they go away again. 

Yes others with unmodded games have reporting this problem too.  Version 1.12.3

• 3 weeks later...

Same here, at first I thought it was because of alt-tabbing out of KSP (seemed to happen right after that). So the last few sessions were on strictly single-monitor, never leaving KSP full-screen, but it still happens after a few scene reloads (going between VAB, flight, tracking station)

Mods:

• Chatterer
  • Waterfall
  • Better Timewarp

I usually still have "windy" atmospheric reentry sounds, and parachute sounds, even the staging sound

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/12/2022 at 1:54 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Rocket Sound Enhancements has something which fixes this bug

will try

22 hours ago, tyttuutface said:

With 60+ mods installed, this isn't a practical solution.

same

especially with near future ;-;

On 6/12/2022 at 1:54 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Rocket Sound Enhancements has something which fixes this bug

nope, it still cuts off

when i switched to the map screen, but you can fix it by quicksave and quickloading

Edited by Feellikeapple
more inf

10 hours ago, Feellikeapple said:

rip ;-;

any ideas on how to fix it? quicksaving and quickloading every 5 minutes is not an option

Nope.  Ever since the RSE came out, it's mostly gone for me, or at least, I haven't noticed it

I know that @Gotmachine was looking into it, you may want to look in on the Community Fixes thread to see if anything has been done

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

***UPDATE***

So.... this fix only worked briefly and then I encountered the issue again. I read in another forum that removing KSP from your steam library could be a possible fix (for a different problem also related to sound in the game), so I tried that, played for about an hour and encountered no sound loss whilst switching from Map->Craft & back again, over and over, etc. This could be a potential solution but I'll have to let you know when I have more time to confirm.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone. So, here is what fixed the sound issue for me; (running waterfall mod)(Running most up to date version of KSP)

Remove the "sounds" folder from the "Waterfall" folder in your "Game Data" folder or wherever you store your mods. Now when I toggle the map and toggle back to my vessel, the sound is...there! it SOUNDS! It doesn't appear to negatively affect any other aspect of the mod but if someone wants to do a deep dive to see if that is indeed true, please let me know.

Hope this helps! I can't tell you how happy I am to be hearing my jet engines again!

Edited by SoundManGrant
I was wrong.

My accidental solution to this pesky sound problem was to build a new PC ;) I haven't had the problem since building my new PC in August. My old PC would randomly get the 1.12.x sound problem, and getting sound back required restarting KSP.

I moved KSP by simply copying the folder from my old PC to my new PC. The problem went away despite having the same settings and same mods. That leads me to believe the problem is due to a KSP interaction and maybe a mod interaction with one or more of the following: Windows version (old PC was Win 10 new is Win 11); sound drivers; motherboard audio version.

People keep blaming Better Time Warp. It can't be that simple. I'm still using that mod and never had the sound issue on this new PC.

• 4 weeks later...

Soo I THINK I found a fix for this. I downloaded the community fixes mod and it seems to have fixed my issue?  I'll report back here if I encounter it again, here's the link to the mod I used:

All I did was install it via CKAN and it SEEMS to have fixed my issue (although I'm about to go to bed as I'm typing this so I didn't really have more than five minutes to test it but here's hoping!) I'm tentatively posting it here if it helps anyone else :)

• 2 months later...

Hey all, adding my voice to this thread as confirmation that it looks like installing KSP Community Fixes (in my case, via CKAN) appears to have solved the missing ship audio problem.

I do have BetterTimeWarp installed via CKAN, I can't confirm if that is the culprit, but assuming most people follow the general recommendations on which KSP mods to install (BTW being one of them) - if you do run into this issue, try installing KSP Community Fixes. So far so good for me, tabbing in and out of the game hasn't caused me any sound drop problems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.