Is Pluto a planet? (Pluto discussion thread, if there isn't already one)

Is Pluto a planet?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, is Pluto a planet?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Well, the IAU (International Astronomical Union) declared that it's only a dwarf planet, so.....
    • I don't really know or care.

• 6 months later...

Pluto is not a planet.

g9Yz2WX.png

Pluto is not a star, whether or not it wanders.  In fact, none of the so-called "planets" are wandering stars, or stars of any sort.  Simply put, planets do not, in fact, actually exist, and any planets you may think of are merely the figment of a deranged mind.

Edited by razark

So there was this road leading up to my house. It was pretty short, just a couple hundred feet but it was paved and everything.

Then one day my dad told me "Son, we just realized that this stretch of concrete we've always called a road is actually something different. It's a driveway."

I was SO mad. I mean, why did my dad hate our stretch of concrete? What did it ever do to him? Just because it didn't stretch across the country or even across town, it was longer than some other roads that were still called roads. He gave all these reasons to ruin the elevated status of our "driveway". It was on our property. No driveways connected to it. It ended at our garage. They all sounded like he was just making up reasons on the spot.

To this day I still call it a road. It confuses all of my friends and anybody I give directions to our house, but dang it no one's gonna tarnish MY perceptions of what's right and wrong.

4 hours ago, razark said:

Pluto is not a planet.

g9Yz2WX.png

Pluto is not a star, whether or not it wanders.  In fact, none of the so-called "planets" are wandering stars, or stars of any sort.  Simply put, planets do not, in fact, actually exist, and any planets you may think of are merely the figment of a deranged mind.

“Planet” is merely a name of a thing, not a descriptor. “Planet” was applied to stars that had motion as opposed to the (at the time) seemingly motionless other (in actuality, real) stars.

Once it was realized they were solid or gaseous bodies orbiting stars, they simply realized the true nature of them, with no need to rename them because the term wasn’t an actual descriptor in the first place.

Or do you suggest we need to rename stars because we didn’t realize they were Suns (and vice versa, so rename the Sun too) until the 1800s?

They can’t be “celestial bodies” by the way, because celestial refers to being in the sky or in the heavens (which they aren’t, they are in space) while body refers to the main portion of a thing, and thus does not make sense as a name of an entire… space thing.

Except those can’t be space things either! Space refers to a room and thing refers to a meeting/assembly/council or the topic of discussion at said assembly.

But it doesn’t have to be that way because we can speak normally instead of abusing etymology to create weird gotcha moments.

5 hours ago, razark said:

n fact, none of the so-called "planets" are wandering stars, or stars of any sort.  Simply put, planets do not, in fact, actually exist, and any planets you may think of are merely the figment of a deranged mind.

How can we call "planet" a stupid piece of rock to which nobody makes an offering in its temple?

42 minutes ago, Nuke said:

i have a feeling there will be another reclassification in the future. with how good the pictures from webb are, we are going to find a lot of things we dont have a category for. 

how. the whole pluto debacle is because of how it isn't gravitationally dominant. webb won't be able to detect smaller bodies that would form rings, nor any other likely edge cases

The very term "planet" is erroneous and misleading.

The ancient people called so the lights which move, opposed to the lights which don't.

I believe if they could see the modern sky with thousands of satellites, they would distinguish "fast planets" and "slow planets".

3 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Pluto isn't a planet.  Ceres isn't a planet either.  Both were thought to be planets when they were the only example in their orbital zones, until other similar bodies were discovered.

Yes, the problem was that they kept fining new kuiper belt objects, It was an suspicion it could be lots of pluto size objects who so far proven wrong as only Eris is over 2000 km. 
But its an 7 of them larger than Ceres and probably more we have not found. 

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Pluto (in the center), Sedna (standing), Quaoar, Make-Make, and Ixion are joining the Kuiper Collective Planetary Farm .

Reveal hidden contents

17374843.jpg

And a portrait of The Sun in the newspaper.

May be the wrong guy I am alluding to though.

Union of Solar System ‘Roids?

Short for spheroids.

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.