Black instead of loading screen under linux (steam)

I have recently performed a clean install of pop_os 21.04, and with that a clean installation of ksp. Since the last time I ran it, it updated to 1.12. I saw someone with the same problem on protondb, but I haven't seen a solution.

The problem in more detail: When I launch ksp through steam on a clean ksp install, it gives me a screen of black for a few seconds, then quits. Launching it again (and all subsequent launches), it gives me a black screen, but doesn't quit, it only quits when I give it the command to force-quit. However, when I try to launch it from the file manager itself, it launches without problem.

I have tried a plethora of (old) fixes from the web, but none worked, and I'm kinda at my wits end. (this is literally the first time I've had to made a forum post about a bug)

Thanks for your help in advance.

• 7 months later...
7 hours ago, poopslayer78 said:

The solution for me was to go the the "Additional Drivers" tool in Ubuntu and set the Nvidia graphics driver to "nvidia-driver-390 (proprietary)".  Note: the most recent proprietary driver didn't work.

I have no such issues and I'm using the latest, "metapackage from nvidia-driver-510 (proprietary, tested)" .

Using a GTX-960 if there's any difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 5:50 AM, poopslayer78 said:

The solution for me was to go the the "Additional Drivers" tool in Ubuntu and set the Nvidia graphics driver to "nvidia-driver-390 (proprietary)".  Note: the most recent proprietary driver didn't work.

Have the problem too, do you know how to set a nvidia propritary driver that works (please)?

26 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

do you know how to set a nvidia propritary driver that works (please)?

This is how you enable the proprietary Nvidia drivers in ubuntu 20.04:

1. Search for "Software and Updates" tool or run "software-properties-gtk" from the command line
  2. In the "Ubuntu Software" tab, make sure that the "restricted" and "multiverse" boxes are checked (note: you may not actually need "multiverse", since the "nvidia-driver-390" package is part of "restricted").
  3. Run sudo apt-get -y update
  4. Close & re-open the "Software and Updates" tool
  5. Click on the "Additional Drivers" tab if it's not open already
  6. Select the desired driver.  For me nvidia-driver-390 worked while neither nouveau nor nvidia-driver-510 worked.
  7. If you still don't see nvidia-drover-390 as an option, try "sudo apt-get -y install nvidia-driver-390".  The proprietary drivers were always visible for me so I never needed to do this step manually.

jsUXIgK.png

Note: some other Ubuntu users have reported being able to use nvidia-driver-510 without issue, but it didn't work for me.

I'm using an Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 if that helps.

35 minutes ago, poopslayer78 said:

This is how you enable the proprietary Nvidia drivers in ubuntu 20.04:

1. Search for "Software and Updates" tool or run "software-properties-gtk" from the command line
  2. In the "Ubuntu Software" tab, make sure that the "restricted" and "multiverse" boxes are checked (note: you may not actually need "multiverse", since the "nvidia-driver-390" package is part of "restricted").
  3. Run sudo apt-get -y update
  4. Close & re-open the "Software and Updates" tool
  5. Click on the "Additional Drivers" tab if it's not open already
  6. Select the desired driver.  For me nvidia-driver-390 worked while neither nouveau nor nvidia-driver-510 worked.
  7. If you still don't see nvidia-drover-390 as an option, try "sudo apt-get -y install nvidia-driver-390".  The proprietary drivers were always visible for me so I never needed to do this step manually.

jsUXIgK.png

Note: some other Ubuntu users have reported being able to use nvidia-driver-510 without issue, but it didn't work for me.

Does it work with nvidia 340-GeForce 8800?

1 hour ago, poopslayer78 said:

Yeah, me for one.

I'm using 510  on 20.04 LTS with a GTX 960

Maybe OpenGL/Mesa is messing things up?

On 7/16/2021 at 2:02 PM, WebFerretNL said:

I have recently performed a clean install of pop_os 21.04, and with that a clean installation of ksp. Since the last time I ran it, it updated to 1.12. I saw someone with the same problem on protondb, but I haven't seen a solution.

Since you specifically mention protondb, I'm wondering.  Are you using the Linux version of KSP, or did you install the Windows version by forcing a compatibility layer?

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.