Graphics issue in 1.12

I have been playing KSP for a while on this computer, I recently updated to 1.12 and for a week or so I was playing without trouble, but since a few days ago, the graphics are totally broken, showing this weird lines and shapes all the time, in all of the game screens, Star Menu, KSC, Map, Fly mode, everywhere.

I have fully updated graphics drivers, uninstalled KSP from Steam and reinstalled, played around with settings but nothing seems to work.

My computer is a DELL laptop Inspiron 5547, with 8GB of RAM, Windows 10 Home 64-bit and its GPU is AMD Radeon R7 M260. I made no hardware or software changes recently.

Following are two sample screenshots showing the problem:

0JQrs4D.jpeg

IQze8ia.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Stelios_m said:

My best guess since you using laptop you having issues with the game using the onboard gpu and not your amd.

I don't remember how to fix that if it is even that, but google might pop up some solutions.

Like with amd program force this application to use your card or something like that.

Edited by Serenity

18 minutes ago, Stelios_m said:

Good idea, thanks! How do I upload files?

Any free hosting, google drive, or so.

No upload function on this forum.

Or watch the file, and if some errors there, post that fragment in a spoiler.

Edited by kerbiloid

33 minutes ago, Serenity said:

My best guess since you using laptop you having issues with the game using the onboard gpu and not your amd.

I don't remember how to fix that if it is even that, but google might pop up some solutions.

Like with amd program force this application to use your card or something like that.

Thank you Serenity! I just checked from Task manager and KSP is correctly using the Radeon. I also played a bit with the AMD software settings but nothing seems to have any effect...

My KSP.Log file: KSP.Log

and my DxDiag.txt: DxDiag.txt

Thanks @kerbiloid!

47 minutes ago, Stelios_m said:

Thank you Serenity!

Hopefully someone who can read logs will reply to you, until then here couple random things you can try:

Go to AMD software and select High Performance for all Kerbal exe applications, do the same in windows display settings.

Try lowering the graphic settings, especially the texture one.

Make sure in windows settings the dedicated graphic card is set to your Amd and if you can disable its software and/or install older drivers.

Edited by Serenity

The screen shots looks like the kinda issues I've sometimes seen when graphics card ram gets too hot or is clocked too high. I don't know if AMD GPUs of that generation has built in temperatures sensors on the RAM or you can adjust the RAM speed in the AMD software. Might be worth testing lowering RAM speed, if possible, to either confirm or eliminate that as an issue.

This will sound weird at first, but it worked once for me:

• If you are using an HDMI cable between your computer <-> monitor, try switching to a different cable/port on either side

My issue was that the HDMI port on my GPU was damaged, so once I switched to the DVI cable/port all these issues were gone.
I had the same stretched triangles in my games as in your screenshots (i never imagined cable connections could lead to that)

(I'm not saying the port was the primary reasons for my issue, but switching ports did help in the end)

Thank you all for the assistance. Admittedly, it is starting to look like the problem is with my graphics hardware rather than with KSP.

To be frank, I also could not imagine that hardware issues could lead to distortions such as this, I kind of  thought graphics cards would either work or would not. It might very well be an overheat issue. 

To check if the problem is with the graphics card, I will force KSP to work with the onboard Intel GPU and see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone!

I had similar issues on my emergency/vacation potato laptop.

My first try would be to turn all graphic options down to lowest and see if the artifacts go away.

The tweak them up, one at the time, until they reappear.

A bit tedious but only way I found.

Edit:

Just remembered one thing, when turning something (render quality or texture size) I actually got a different set of artifacts but only on the first menu screen.

Edited by Curveball Anders

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.