[1.12] (Kopernicus) Janet's Minor Planets [1.3.4]

Oh hai.

This is a basic planet pack so far that adds a Near-Kerbin binary asteroid, Doppler-Dyva, a Pallas-like two-toned potato, Quazen, and four binary Jool trojans. Basically asteroids not filled by niches such as Minor Planets Expansion.

Download here on SpaceDock.

ZuUM58T.jpg

This was the old picture of Doppler, once named Onor (please don't deadname it). It's a relic of my past and how I've improved.

Spoiler

awG9gP4.png

Requirements:

• Kopernicus
  • ModuleManager
  • A good computer
Edited by Interplanet Janet

So this is like a little asteroid pack from the looks of it, looks noice
Tho gotta fix the polar spike on one of the asteroids.

14 hours ago, Interplanet Janet said:

Yuppo is only 2 km big and is small enough to probably be deorbited with enough thrusting power.

Also Kop objects can't have their orbits changed.....

Edited by Cyrus Playz

26 minutes ago, Cyrus Playz said:

So this is like a little asteroid pack from the looks of it, looks noice
Tho gotta fix the polar spike on one of the asteroids.

Also Kop objects can't have their orbits changed.....

Exactly what I'm doing so far. I've been trying to fix the polar spike lately. And the deorbiting thing would be a thing that could possibly work with Principia.

Speaking of, here's the link if you want to try it out: Janet's Planets 0.1.0

Ok I have actually loaded your mod and took a look at the asteroids and it seems that the terrain is a bit...... Stepped, lets just say
MOQcXpG.png

Now this can be caused by a number of things, either you image resolution is not high enough , poor blending of the height map, or too high deformity, I will try to fix it for you or you can do it yourself.

6 hours ago, Cyrus Playz said:

Ok I have actually loaded your mod and took a look at the asteroids and it seems that the terrain is a bit...... Stepped, lets just say
MOQcXpG.png

Now this can be caused by a number of things, either you image resolution is not high enough , poor blending of the height map, or too high deformity, I will try to fix it for you or you can do it yourself.

I used a 4096x2048 PNG map for Onor, and 2048x1024 maps for Yuppo considering it's smaller. I think it might have been a problem because my image was in 8-bit RGB color space, and I did try to blur the normal map to get smoother transitions.

While I do think I know the cause, I don't know how exactly to fix the problem short of adding some slight PQS noise to the heightmap or something. Could you possibly show me how?

Edited by Interplanet Janet

3 hours ago, Interplanet Janet said:

While I do think I know the cause, I don't know how exactly to fix the problem short of adding some slight PQS noise to the heightmap or something. Could you possibly show me 

You do not need to adjust the height map directly, nor do you need to blur the normal map. Applying some PQS mods with differing seeds is the only way to get rid of the stepped, pixelated terrain (PQS mods are in the config). The Kopernicus Wiki has descriptions of which PQS mods you can use and how they work. 

5 hours ago, wpetula said:

You do not need to adjust the height map directly, nor do you need to blur the normal map. Applying some PQS mods with differing seeds is the only way to get rid of the stepped, pixelated terrain (PQS mods are in the config). The Kopernicus Wiki has descriptions of which PQS mods you can use and how they work. 

Thanks, this advice is working pretty well so far!

Oh, by the way, the Pallas analog is coming into fruition now. Its name is Quazen and it's on a highly inclined orbit that may require a Jool assist to even dare to reach.

• 1 month later...

Looks interesting. Tempted to add this to my current playthrough, a mining outpost on these would be very interesting due to close proximity to kerbin meaning I can ferry crew over, and the low gravity would make transfers to other planets really easy.

If you need any help with Kopernicus, I can help patching stuff and fixing it.

It seems just by a quick look at the textures that you have a problem with the normal maps. I recommend generating them with KittopiaTech, as not only does it make them work pretty much all the time, you can quickly see if the PQS is working properly just by judging the "sharp" appearances of the planet

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Interplanet Janet said:

I will keep the bodies I have made, however, and continue developing from there with a directly MPE-compatible pack called Janet's Planets.

21 minutes ago, Interplanet Janet said:

Since MPE is now safely with Exo as was intended, I have decided to take the bodies I was adding to it to simply create my own planet pack out of these new bodies.

Hi, I had a question regarding how to handle this for CKAN. It sounds like JP and your fork of MPE will share some of the same planets, which suggests they would conflict with each other, but you've said they will be compatible. Are you thinking ahead to when MPE's original author releases a new version without those planets, or do you mean that your MPE and JP could be installed side-by-side and work well together?

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

Hi, I had a question regarding how to handle this for CKAN. It sounds like JP and your fork of MPE will share some of the same planets, which suggests they would conflict with each other, but you've said they will be compatible. Are you thinking ahead to when MPE's original author releases a new version without those planets, or do you mean that your MPE and JP could be installed side-by-side and work well together?

I am thinking ahead to when Exo releases her redux. This may be sometime this week depending on how busy she is. I've fixed a lot of things for her, so all she really needs to do at this point may be to fold my changes into hers. I barely touched any of her planets anyway during the development of the mod, so the rehanding is for the better. /gen

Is anyone else seeing KSP spinning when trying to load this mod? I checked KSP.log to see what was going on and saw this repeating over and over:

Spoiler
[EXC 11:47:16.324] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.GetNearest (CelestialBody body) (at <157567337be54e6a8e4e41aff96b3fe5>:0)
	Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.GetBrightest (CelestialBody body) (at <157567337be54e6a8e4e41aff96b3fe5>:0)
	Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.AtmosphereLightPatch (CelestialBody body) (at <157567337be54e6a8e4e41aff96b3fe5>:0)
	Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.LateUpdate () (at <157567337be54e6a8e4e41aff96b3fe5>:0)
[EXC 11:47:16.325] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.LateUpdate () (at <157567337be54e6a8e4e41aff96b3fe5>:0)

I'm willing to understand that I have an outdated supporting mod, but removing this mod meant the issue didn't crop up.

23 hours ago, Coolguybest said:

Is anyone else seeing KSP spinning when trying to load this mod? I checked KSP.log to see what was going on and saw this repeating over and over:

Hide contents
[EXC 11:47:16.324] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.GetNearest (CelestialBody body) (at <157567337be54e6a8e4e41aff96b3fe5>:0)
	Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.GetBrightest (CelestialBody body) (at <157567337be54e6a8e4e41aff96b3fe5>:0)
	Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.AtmosphereLightPatch (CelestialBody body) (at <157567337be54e6a8e4e41aff96b3fe5>:0)
	Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.LateUpdate () (at <157567337be54e6a8e4e41aff96b3fe5>:0)
[EXC 11:47:16.325] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.LateUpdate () (at <157567337be54e6a8e4e41aff96b3fe5>:0)

I'm willing to understand that I have an outdated supporting mod, but removing this mod meant the issue didn't crop up.

I think the issue might be the presence of the Lemus.cfg and Hizie.cfg bodies, but nothing of the sort that actually is used for them. I must have accidentally put them in in the last update. At this rate it's best to simply remove those two configs (and the cache files, if they were made) and proceed from there.

• 2 weeks later...