Torpedo's Modular Multiwheels!

TouhouTorpedo

I've made this thread mainly for suggestions, as after following the cart tutorial and fiddling with blender for half the evening, I've finally got to the point I can start actually building a mod (a cart one, anyway)

My plan is to make a system of modules that can be placed just like stock landing gear, but can have the properties of a front steering wheel, a powered wheel, or an unpowered wheel.

Progress so far is below:

screenshot200.png

The front wheels are steered modules, the rear wheels are motor modules. A small car like this is very stable and fast, long as you dont turn at high speed, that is. Building larger carts has some stability issues, but I think I can fix those in the CFG file.

So why the thread? Well, I wanted some suggestions. I'm going to keep using these horrible primitives for now, with a slap on texture till I work out how to texture properly or anyone tells me how to do it, But basically I'm asking what people may be looking for. So in the future, I'll get some nicer shapes, textures, etc, and make something people would want to use.

This is the very first thing I've ever tried to make as a mod or in blender, so I'm absolutely new to this so far. But I'm quick at picking things up, so I'm hoping to have a useable release by next week.

There is one thing that has been missing and that has been tank like treads.

I think it is because, at least I suspect, is that the cart system doesn't support tread like steering.

Perhaps these types of treads could be done with the cart plug in?

Rolligon tires where also once considered for a Moon type rover.

Grumman Dual Mode Rover is an interesting idea as well.

More ideas here:

http://www.unusuallocomotion.com/album/wheeled-robots/

Well first thing I decided to do was go to the basis - I liked the wheels from Cart mod's basic cart, so thought I'd use those.

Heres the result :

screenshot208.png

Works reasonably, few performance tweaks to make maybe, but it does what I wanted reasonably well.

parts so far:

Motor Wheel Module (brake lights attached)

Steering Wheel Module (Headlights attached)

Only model glitch is that the underside of the fenders is invisible. There is only one surface which needs to be painted on both sides, And I guess normally that isn't expected on UV maps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.