Do we have some "must have" part mods yet?

Jestersage

It's been a while since I visit the official forum, so I want to check: With the 1.12 being the last KSP1, have we so far come to a situation where there is a few part mods community members will likely use? (Restock doesn't count, but restock+ do, for example, due to adding new parts)

Part mods are subjective. Do you want to fly historical rockets, and if yes from which nations' space programs? Do you like to kitbash rockets from scratch? Do you prefer spaceplanes?

• Bluedog Design Bureau (BDB): USA rockets.
  • Tantares: USSR rockets.
  • Knes: European rockets.
  • OPT: Large, powerful spaceplanes.
  • "Near Future" collection: Multiple mods with the same author and grouped into one forum thread. Many parts for kitbashing your own rocket designs instead of exactly duplicating historic rockets.

There are many other good part mods but those are my favorites. IMO use 1 or 2 of them per save, at least until you get more familiar with each mod.

20 hours ago, Jestersage said:

Those are just most popular, not what this community think "yup, you should have it"

And it is probably the best metric you will get.  Most popular is the one the community downloads most.

Unless you just want more posts in your thread... which will likely yield 10 different answers from 12 different people.

On 7/24/2021 at 6:06 AM, goldenpsp said:

And it is probably the best metric you will get.  Most popular is the one the community downloads most.

Unless you just want more posts in your thread... which will likely yield 10 different answers from 12 different people.

Nah, I am good. For me it's a selfish reason: To see which mod I should include in my release-to-public craft without alienating too many players that maybe interested.

Edited by Jestersage

• 4 weeks later...

It's generally personal opinion, but here's my own list of must-have parts mods (with descriptions for those reading this who don't know about them):

• ReStock+: Adds a whole bunch of parts that fit right into the stock lineup, from more 0.625m fuel tanks and more sizes of truss to new lifter engines and extra form factors for science experiments
  • Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux: Massive expansion to the parts catalogue for space stations, complete with inflatable habitats and deployable centrifuges; had a big update recently adding 1.875m & 5m parts as well as nice pretty domes
  • The Near Future Tech catalogue, specifically:
    • Near Future Solar: lots of new form factors for solar panels, both tiny and gargantuan
    • Near Future Spacecraft: adds several neat command pods as well as several other very useful things, such as several inline monopropellant engines (one of which even has a spot for a rear docking port)

There's several other part mods I highly recommend, but they're definitely less "filling gaps in stock" than these four, at least to me :P

EDIT: Also, Universal Storage II would previously have made the list for me, but right now it's in a rough time after a major hard drive failure :(

On 7/24/2021 at 6:06 AM, goldenpsp said:

More likely 12 different answers from 10 different people :wink:

Edited by Starseeker

• 4 weeks later...

Must-have part mods for me:

The NearFuture Collection along with the other Nertea-Mods: Kerbal Atomics, FarFuture, Stockalike Stationparts Expansion Redux, Heat Control, Spacedust, etc.

Edited by Rakete

On 8/17/2021 at 7:30 AM, Starseeker said:

ReStock+: Adds a whole bunch of parts that fit right into the stock lineup

A more accurate description would be "ReStock+: Fixes the stock lineup". The stock lineup, if you can call it that, is missing a whole ton, never being filled out because making the parts shinier was a bigger priority.

On 7/23/2021 at 5:40 PM, Jestersage said:

Those are just most popular, not what this community think "yup, you should have it"

Same difference. You're just pick-and-mixing patches from many other devs that some might consider helpful, while others consider useless and insulting to the modding community. It all depends what you want and need, which is gonna be a lot easier now that the game has settled onto one version eliminating the need for mods to catch up.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Procedural Parts + Fairings are a must-have for me. The flexibility helps cut down on the part count, though they are a bit ugly.

Realstock/+ are really good, really good looking, and nice parts in general.

Neartea's mods are real good as well.

Plugin-wise, Mechjeb is something I always install.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.