[FIXED] Alarm Clock is broken and impacted saves can't be fixed programmatically.

Bug #28315: Maneuver alarm switches to wrong vessel - Kerbal Space Program - Squad Bugtracker

Bug #28207: If two crafts have the same persistent ID there is an AOORE for Maneuver Alarms. - Kerbal Space Program - Squad Bugtracker

@TriggerAu, it'd be nice to get a word on this.

For players the tl;dr is that creating two vessels from the same craft file will bug out. You must click "new" between each launch and can't load vessels. Using merge or subassemblies is fine.

Amusingly there's no problem with vessels that split into multiple vessels after launch. Docking and undocking also results in new ids being generated.

Existing saves can be fixed manually by opening persistent.sfs and giving each vessel a unique "persistentId" and updating "vesselId" for any associated alarms.

Edited by serdan
No longer relevant.

On 7/23/2021 at 7:55 AM, serdan said:

creating two vessels from the same craft file will bug out.

Humm... as in I have a vessel I built called "Lander", and I rename it "Lander Alpha" on the pad just before launch, and I send it on its way... and then I pull up the same vessel again, and I rename it "Lander Beta" on the pad just before launch, and I send it on its way..... etc.  ?

If that's what you mean, if that's the case, then it explains part of the problems (behaviors) I've been experiencing... maybe.

11 hours ago, DiomedesDK said:

What do you change the persistent ID to, so that you dont just move the problem from one vessel to another? Is it enough to just change the last numer in the ID or should you change several? 

I just change the last digit and then search the file for other occurrences (unlikely, as the numbers are random, but check anyway). 

10 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Humm... as in I have a vessel I built called "Lander", and I rename it "Lander Alpha" on the pad just before launch, and I send it on its way... and then I pull up the same vessel again, and I rename it "Lander Beta" on the pad just before launch, and I send it on its way..... etc.  ?

If that's what you mean, if that's the case, then it explains part of the problems (behaviors) I've been experiencing... maybe.

Yes. You can double check it in the persistent.sfs file.

1. Goto: \Kerbal Space Program\saves\mysave\
2. Open persistent.sfs in notepad or some other text editor.
3. Search for the name of a vessel.
4. Go through the results until you find a block labeled "VESSEL".
5. Copy the value from the "persistentId" field (should be the second field from the top).
6. Search for other VESSEL blocks with that id.

Fixed in 1.12.2

Vessels in existing saves will get unique ids when the save is loaded. What this means is that any future alarms will work as expected. However, existing alarms that were borked will continue to be borked, but it will be easy to tell if a vessel no longer has an alarm linked to it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.