Eureka! The Gold Standard - Minable Gold and Unobtainium for profit!

zer0Kerbal

Hello, thank you for maintaining this awesome mod! Is there a possibility to add compatibility to Near Future Construction Trusses and Station Parts Expansion Redux Ore containers? They don't recognize gold. Would be awesome if it worked. Maybe there is some easy edits i can make myself to make them work together? 

Edited by DPOHbl4
Update

3 hours ago, DPOHbl4 said:

Hello, thank you for maintaining this awesome mod! Is there a possibility to add compatibility to Near Future Construction Trusses and Station Parts Expansion Redux Ore containers? They don't recognize gold. Would be awesome if it worked. Maybe there is some easy edits i can make myself to make them work together? 

Thank you @DPOHbl4!

GitHub Feature Request: Station Parts Expansion Redux (SSPx) Compatibility #49

GitHub Feature Request: Near Future Construction (NFC) Compatibility #50

If you can write a Module Manager Patch it is relatively straight forward. I'm looking now to see exactly what it would entale.

For NFC - if you understand B9 then it is straightforward. Just have to decide which texture/module to use for Gold, GoldOre, and UBT.

For SSPx - pretty much the same - in fact once the B9TankType.cfg is created, it can be used for both (and more); only thing extra is creating decals for Gold, GoldOre, and UBT.

I was currently planning on adding B9 basic support in 1.6.4.0, which is directly following the upcoming release of 1.6.3.0.

I'm also in the process of adopting another two mods that would expand The Gold Standard. more when there is news.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

3 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Thank you @DPOHbl4!

GitHub Feature Request: Station Parts Expansion Redux (SSPx) Compatibility #49

GitHub Feature Request: Near Future Construction (NFC) Compatibility #50

If you can write a Module Manager Patch it is relatively straight forward. I'm looking now to see exactly what it would entale.

For NFC - if you understand B9 then it is straightforward. Just have to decide which texture/module to use for Gold, GoldOre, and UBT.

For SSPx - pretty much the same - in fact once the B9TankType.cfg is created, it can be used for both (and more); only thing extra is creating decals for Gold, GoldOre, and UBT.

I was currently planning on adding B9 basic support in 1.6.4.0, which is directly following the upcoming release of 1.6.3.0.

I'm also in the process of adopting another two mods that would expand The Gold Standard. more when there is news.

I am afraid this all is too complicated for me, I tried messing around with patches but to no avail =( I am too new for KSP modding

All i can offer is testing and feedback at the moment, so here it is:

For SSPx Containers i would suggest using following set of decals provided by the mod itself: 

RareMetals for Gold Ore

Substrate for Pure Gold

Minerals for Unobtainium

they all have somewhat matching aesthetics

As for NFC it will be much harder as there is only 1 set of decals for Ore and it uses Stock texture placed inside a Truss. So maybe it is possible somehow to place your own decals (Changed Gold, Red and Blue from the Stock black one) or change the color on existing one?

Also i would like to offer feedback on a current state of the mod:

1) Balance is off in my opinion. Storage containers need a value revamp, so that they are identical in sizes to their stock counterparts,

2) Prices for resources need a little nerf - the offer way too much (5 mil for full Unobtainium),

3) Unobtainium need a smaller radial container,

4) Drills need balance aswell, so that it is way more costly to mine for Unobtainium (sorta simulates a deep vein or something like that)

And lastly, FYI CKAN version of the mod has not been updated - it still has the one were you get negative values in VAB

Hope my observations help you somehow and I can't wait for this mod to blossom! My favorite part about it is simplicity - just enough additional gameplay mechanics to enjoy Stok-ish KSP without flooding it with ridiculous amount of resources like Community Resource Pack does.

P.S. I am so sad to let you down and i like this mod so much that even as useless as I am, still would like to contribute somehow. I noticed on github that you seek translations, i could offer a Russian one if that would be of any help to you. Let me know if you require one, I will gladly do the best i can on this small task =)

Edited by DPOHbl4
P.S.

Update. I played around with some values and found pretty decent balance overall.

Changes: 

Spoiler

RESOURCESGENERIC.CFG:
Line 11 /// Unobtainium
unitCost = 25000

Line 60 /// Gold
unitCost = 1000

PARTS:
Line 20/21 /// GoldSmelter 
entryCost = 120000
cost = 25000

Line 19/20 /// RadialGoldTank
entryCost = 20000 
cost = 75300

Line 19 /// RadialGoldOreTank
entryCost = 10000

Line 21/22 /// SmallGoldTank
entryCost = 30000
cost = 301000

Line 21 /// SmallGoldOreTank
entryCost = 15000

Line 21 /// LargeGoldOreTank
entryCost = 25000

Line 21/22 /// LargeGoldTank
entryCost = 50000
cost = 150300

Line 21/22 /// SmallUnobtainiumTank
entryCost = 150000 
cost = 2501000

PATCHES:
Line 158 /// MiniDrill Unobtainium Harvester
ResourceName = ElectricCharge Ratio = 30

Line 276 /// RadialDrill Unobtainium Harvester
ResourceName = ElectricCharge Ratio = 50

I also edited additional values for compatibility with Community Tech Tree (CTT) + Probes Before Crew (PBC) // Those edits are dirty, i did not create a separate patch cause no matter how hard i tried i could not wrap my head around how to get it working (too dumb im afraid). I only hope that it will help you somehow to create a proper patch in the future or maybe some guru from forum could help - Here is what i changed

Spoiler

COMMUNITY TECH TREE + PROBES BEFORE CREW COMPATIBILITY

PARTS:
Line 19 /// GoldSmelter
TechRequired = experimentalScience

Line 18 /// RadialGoldTank
TechRequired = advScienceTech

Line 18 /// RadialGoldOreTank

Line 20 /// SmallGoldTank

Line 20 /// SmallGoldOreTank

Line 20 /// LargeGoldOreTank

Line 20 /// LargeGoldTank

Line 20 /// SmallUnobtainiumTank

PATCHES:
Line 6 /// @PART[SurfaceScanner]:NEEDS[TheGoldStandard,CommunityTechTree]:FOR[TheGoldStandard]
{
    @TechRequired = advScienceTech

Line 39 /// @PART[OrbitalScanner]:NEEDS[TheGoldStandard,CommunityTechTree]:FOR[TheGoldStandard]
{
    @TechRequired=scienceTech

Line 80 /// @PART[MiniDrill]:NEEDS[TheGoldStandard,CommunityTechTree]:FOR[TheGoldStandard]
{

Line 195 /// @PART[RadialDrill]:NEEDS[TheGoldStandard,CommunityTechTree]:FOR[TheGoldStandard]
{
    @TechRequired = experimentalScience

SQUAD:
Line 6 /// @PART[RadialOreTank]:NEEDS[TheGoldStandard,CommunityTechTree]:FOR[TheGoldStandard]
{

Line 11 /// @PART[SmallTank]:NEEDS[TheGoldStandard,CommunityTechTree]:FOR[TheGoldStandard]
{

@DPOHbl4 thank you.

I am rushed for time right now so will answer more when I have more time.

CKAN and therefore SpaceDock - I try to always post to CurseForge first, for a week or two so the release 'aires out'; if it is a full release (and not an alpha, beta, prerelease) I will then normally publish it to SpaceDock (which in turn updates CKAN). Once I have the next release ready (hopefully in the next week or so)

I have been trying to post status updates here.

The CTT patch should be straightforward from what you included.  Is that for when both CTT&PBC are installed, or when one and/or both are installed? 

Once the patches are created, maybe review them to learn. Module Manager can be straightforward, or very convoluted depending on what you want to do. 

The tank costs, masses, volumes, inventory are all heavily calculated. The tank costs cannot change *much* because to change it could create negative costing tanks in the editors (or as you said: "negative values in the VAB"). The entryCost and cost of the tanks are based upon stock - in theory they should be the same because the tanks are the same. Exception perhaps is the UBT tanks, since UBT is maybe considered an exotic material.

Gold and GoldOre are based upon atomic weights of Gold and a best estimate of atomic weight of GoldOre. UBT is basically what the original author set.  If UBT is too easy to mine, that is an easy fix - I will reduce the availability of it. 

Yes, Russian is one of the languages that The Gold Standard isn't translated to yet. (Localization - Russian (Русский) <ru.cfg>) There is a readme.md (here) that should explain how. I have several mods that could use translations and off course if you enjoy a mod and can provide a translation (mine and others) please do. Really makes mod makers days!

I will review  your suggestions when I have a little more time.  :D

Again thank you! Keep the suggestions coming!

11 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

I am rushed for time right now so will answer more when I have more time.

No worries, take as long as you need =)

The CTT patch should be straightforward from what you included.  Is that for when both CTT&PBC are installed, or when one and/or both are installed? 

Yes it should be when both present, because CTT is PBC's dependency, plus it moves things around in Community Tech Tree.

Once the patches are created, maybe review them to learn. Module Manager can be straightforward, or very convoluted depending on what you want to do. 

I would certainly would like to! Not sure that NFC and SSPx Patches are possible before you introduce B9Switch support, right? Is there a good guide on how to for MM and B9 ?

The tank costs, masses, volumes, inventory are all heavily calculated. The tank costs cannot change *much* because to change it could create negative costing tanks in the editors (or as you said: "negative values in the VAB"). The entryCost and cost of the tanks are based upon stock - in theory they should be the same because the tanks are the same. Exception perhaps is the UBT tanks, since UBT is maybe considered an exotic material.

I balanced this around so you won't get negative values using my changes. I am sure you will se upon closer inspection when you have time. I slightly raised entryCosts for balance.

Gold and GoldOre are based upon atomic weights of Gold and a best estimate of atomic weight of GoldOre. UBT is basically what the original author set.  If UBT is too easy to mine, that is an easy fix - I will reduce the availability of it.

I didn't touch weight values, but i did change energy consumption by the drills, so that it would take more effort to mine UBT.

I send translation on GitHub, hope it will help promote your mod further! Can't wait to see where you take it =)

Edited by DPOHbl4

Interesting, I haven't checked this mod in a while. Unobtanium, huh? Does it yield more $$ than processed gold? Or it is meant for something else then return for profit?

Nevermind, I was thinking of uranite, another ore that is mentioned in scansat, similar name. 

Edited by Daniel Prates

• 2 months later...

This looks like a fun mod that would be especially useful for my later game career mode save when I'm trying to travel to a nearby star system with a fusion powered torch drive or nuclear salt water engine. :) I was wondering if it is known if this works fine with JNSQ and Rational Resources? I intend on testing it out but it may take a while, so I thought it worth asking.

The Gold Standard (GOLD) Version KSP version
License CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 AVC .version files

Version 1.6.3.0 - Gold Pans ReStocked

22 Jan 2022
Release for Kerbal Space Program [KSP 1.12.3]

DO A CLEAN INSTALL:
DELETE EXISTING INSTALLATION THEN RE-INSTALL

Download from Curseforge

Release Notes:

Spoiler

Updated

• renamed /Patches --> Compatibility

CargoPart Review

• volume review (math shown below)

• game volume is in Liters (L)

• closes #48 - Review CargoPart

• small (1.25m) tanks had their cargo volumes reduced a small amount

Math

Ore Tanks       πr²h 1000L = m3
      diameter (m) radius (m) height(m) volume m^3 *1000
    large 2.5 1.25 1.9000 9.3266 9326.61
    small 1.25 0.625 1.9000 2.33165 2331.66
    radial 0.625 0.3125 1.0000 0.3068 306.8

missing drag cubes

• closes #54 - LargeGoldTank and LargeGoldOreTank missing drag cube

Linting and file maintenance 

• all part.cfg's
  • add Dewar and zer0Kerbal to authors
  • minor housekeeping
  • patch dusting (mostly removing construction dust (comments))

Squad-Tanks patches

• rename [Squad.cfg] to [Squad-Tanks.cfg] 1.2.0.0
  • add [ModuleCargoPart] to all
    • Radial: 340 (already there)
    • Small: 2350
    • Large: 9500
  • update patch license
  • closes #55 - Squad-Tank patches

Squad patches

• rename [Patches.cfg] to [Squad.cfg] 1.2.0.0
  • remove sneaky little MODULE[ModuleResourceHarvester]
  • Undo localization on some items
    • ResourceName
    • resourceName
  • update patch license
  • closes #56 - Squad patches

Update [StockalikeMiningExpansion.cfg] v1.1.1.0

• update patch license

Update [SCANSat.cfg] 1.1.0.2

• rename [Scansat.cfg] to [SCANSat.cfg] 1.1.0.2
  • update patch license
  • linting

Add Restock.restockwhitelist

• closes #6 - ReStock compliance
  • closes #58 - Add Restock.restockwhitelist

RadialTank packedVolume

• currently is packedVolume = 325
  • stock is packedVolume = 340
  • change to equal stock
  • closes #57 - RadialTank packedVolume

Status

• Localizations
    • closes #44 - Localization - Spanish (Español) <es-es.cfg> - thank you Fitiales
    • closes #65 - Localization - Russian (Русский) <ru.cfg> - thank you to DirtyThongSniffer
  • Issues
    • updates #47 - us-en.cfg should be complete
    • closes #46 - Localization - English (United States)] <en-us.cfg>
    • closes - #60 - Version 1.6.3.0-release
    • closes - #61 - 1.6.3.0 Legal MumboJumbo
    • closes - #62 - 1.6.3.0 Update documentation
    • closes - #63 - Release 1.6.3.0-release
    • closes - #64 - 1.6.3.0 Social Media
  • Bug
    • closes #5 - Tank costs
    • closes #12 - Text issue with SMX - anything remaining isn't a Localization issue
    • closes #15 - Drill patches need updating?
    • closes #16 - Tanks ModuleCargoPart: packedVolume
    • updates #11 - us-en.cfg should be complete
    •  

See More

• Changelog Summary for more details of changes : See ChangeLog
  • Discussions and news on this mod: See Discussions or KSP Forums
  • Known Issues for more details of feature requests and known issues : See Known Issues

Localization

[x] American-flag-sm.png English
[x] Russian-flag-sm.png Russian (Русский) - thank you: by Dirty-----Sniffer
[x] Spanish-flag-sm.png Spanish (Español) - thank you: by @fitiales
[ ] your translation here

HELP WANTED - See the README in the Localization folder for instructions for adding or improving translations. GitHub push is the best way to contribute. Additions and corrections welcome!

How to support this and other great mods by zer0Kerbal

Support Patreon Github Sponsor Buy zer0Kerbal a snack

*red box below is a link to forum post on how to get support*

How to get support

Be Kind: Lithobrake, not jakebrake! Keep your Module Manager up to date

What's Changed

New Contributors

Edited by zer0Kerbal

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/1/2022 at 3:50 PM, Bizobinator said:

Is the gold forge meant to have the same sort of cooling conundrum as the jr-refinery? I.e., needs 200 kW cooling, but can be provided with at max 50 kW?

Or, have I borked something (a likely possibility xD)?

@Bizobinator +1 :rep: thank you

probably - but should be an easy fix - if you could find the module manager patch that fixes this will update the addon with the fix.

15 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

@zer0Kerbal

Hi, had one question, how does your mod behave side by side with new MKS-WOLF system? is there any plans to make it work with wolf?

I don't know; but should be fine. As far as I know any body with a ORE deposits should be minable for gold-ore; specific bodies can be added - but I have no clue as to what would be balanced; 

I might be willing to look at it providing you provide the link to MKS-WOLF github/download so I can easily look at an overview and like always GitHub PR's are welcome.

7 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

@Bizobinator +1 :rep: thank you

probably - but should be an easy fix - if you could find the module manager patch that fixes this will update the addon with the fix.

I don't know; but should be fine. As far as I know any body with a ORE deposits should be minable for gold-ore; specific bodies can be added - but I have no clue as to what would be balanced; 

I might be willing to look at it providing you provide the link to MKS-WOLF github/download so I can easily look at an overview and like always GitHub PR's are welcome.

I mean it like, would wolf be able to handle the mining or not. I think we still need the good old drilling for gold. Honestly I prefer it that way. Wolf essentially removed the need for drilling in time for most of resources. Having one or two mechanics that would need drilling is not bad.

One more question, do we need to baby sit the drilling / processing or will it work in the background (at least like what mks does, revisit and everything will be calculated properly like you had baby sit the craft)?

• 3 months later...
On 10/1/2022 at 3:50 PM, Bizobinator said:

Is the gold forge meant to have the same sort of cooling conundrum as the jr-refinery? I.e., needs 200 kW cooling, but can be provided with at max 50 kW?

Or, have I borked something (a likely possibility xD)?

@Bizobinator

https://github.com/zer0Kerbal/TheGoldStandard/issues/73

experimental fix in 1.6.4.0-release being releases as I type.

As a general note - creating an issue/discussion on the GitHub repo is always strongly suggested.

@Jiraiyah just like stock.

Edited by zer0Kerbal
update links and lasso the birds

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.