What/who introduced you into Ksp?

I was a member of another site dedicated to gaming, and that site had a forum lounge game called "Guess that Video Game".  Someone would post an image of a game, and the first person to guess what the game was would post the next game, and so on.

Ok, so shortly after 1.8.1 came out, someone posted a few shots in that thread from KSP.  The ine that caught my attention was the shot of the VAB, with a ship in construction.  When someone finally named the game, I went out and Googled it.  Haven't looked back since 

Edited by Scarecrow71

It's been long enough that I don't really remember. Up until double checking to see if my assumption was right, I figured I was introduced to the game by a youtuber (One F Jef), but his videos start at a later update. Best as I can figure, I was probably pointed to this game by the forums for one of the RuneScape fansites, and would have discovered Scott Manley a while after to better figure out how to play the game (ah, the good old days of flying strait up at the Mun).

Also, that was about 9 and a half years ago. Yikes!

I was introduced to the game by Jef Major (aka One F Jef). Shortly after version 0.17 was released, he started a let's play series called 'Jef Space Program'. I was not immediately enamored of the game tho. His first couple of videos were focused on building and flying a planes. It wasn't until his third video  that he started flying rockets, but by the end of that video I was hooked.

Quite possibly Duncan from Yogscast... I remember watching him burn straight towards the middle of Mun then wondering why he crashed. I figured it must be possible to do better than that :)  Fortunately other youtubers/resources taught me how to play.

Version 0.9 I think.

It was an alpha version and someone named Harvester. I started messing around with ridiculous planes, remnants of which might be found throughout the forums :)

I held on to that then-free alpha version for quite a long time, I was new to internet purchasing then and just started work, probably don't even have a debit card. 
Later when life circumstances were better I bought KSP on steam. 

Edited by Goddess Bhavani

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Akagi said:

Matt Lowne. Bless his YouTube channel and that Jool 5 rocket!

I originally played it a school, but then I gradutated and went to high school. I had forgotten all about the game until, one day, I saw Matt Lowne's Perserverance Rover Video. After watching it, I knew I had to get this game immediately, or else.

Just now, AtomicTech said:

I originally played it a school, but then I gradutated and went to high school. I had forgotten all about the game until, one day, I saw Matt Lowne's Perserverance Rover Video. After watching it, I knew I had to get this game immediately, or else.

OR ELSE!

I was looking at another game and some compared it to KSP.  Looked at KSP and it looked too cartoony, so it couldn't serious.  A year later I decided to give it a try and bought it plus the DLC.  That was ver. 1.18.  Play it most every day now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 11:29 AM, Superfluous J said:

I was bored one day and remembered this guy who was trying to walk to the Far Lands in Minecraft . I wondered if he was still doing it, so I searched for him on YouTube.

I discovered that his name was KurtJMac. Not only was he still going to the Far Lands (and still is!), but he had just started playing this game about running a space program.

I downloaded the demo that very day and within a weekend landed on Mun and bought the game.

This was almost my exact same experience. Except I remembered his name. I was big into Minecraft back then, and watched Etho, and as a byproduct knew about KurtJMac through the multiplayer minecraft they did.

I loved the look of this new game he was playing, and how he kept blowing things up, got it virtually immediately.

I don't play so often these days...I'm waiting for KSP2...but I occasionally visit the forums, and I remember there was a thread asking this question previously.

I don't really remember where I heard or saw about it first, possibly from a former colleague of mine who is a fellow sci-fi and space nerd. I habitually keep up with astronomy and rocketry news though, so it might have come from anywhere, it tends to be a favourite tool for demonstrating some peculiarities of orbital mechanics. What I mostly remember is how long it really took for me to get the game, even though I knew I would like it (I strongly tend to gravitate to space/sci-fi games and games that involve building things and/or are moddable, KSP obviously ticks all of those boxes). I had it on my steam wishlist for more than 2 years before I finally bought it at a sale, I think at 40% off. After putting nearly two thousand hours into the game I made up for it by buying the anniversary coin, the flag and a couple of T-shirts from the official merch shop :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.