What/who introduced you into Ksp?

Saw it on Steam back when it was version 0.22 or so (which was apparently 7-8 years ago).  Thought it look pretty rad, so I picked it up without thinking much else of it.

Since then it has become my single-most played game with approx 2,000 hours on Steam (plus a few hundred more in offline mode)

Edited by Slam_Jones

My best friend mentioned it to me, way back in the summer of 2012 (I think). Over winter break of that year I downloaded the demo, with all the old-school parts, and I bought the full game in time for 0.18---whereupon my friend and I entered a race to see who could land on the Mun first. Good times!

Minmus. That is, Minmus is what got me to buy the full version. I was playing the demo and I thought it was kind of neat but not good enough to spend money on.  All I really saw was Kerbin and Mun. 

But after a few launches I noticed a bright thing on the horizon. Every launch. I started wondering if it was a large piece of space debris from a previous launch.  Then I caught a glimpse of something green on the map. Holy crap it was another planet! I realized its position coincided with the thing I’d been seeing on all my launches for awhile. 

i started wondering what else I’d missed so I learned to work the map and I saw that there was an entire star system waiting for me.  That’s when I decided to go ahead and pay for the full version. 

I was just starting to get into outer space,  and my YouTube recommendations were always space related. One day I got recommended a constellation program video. The video was realism overhaul in KSP.  I knew I had to get my hands on whatever game it was!

How and when I stumbled upon KSP is lost to history, but it was "somewhere" on the internet.   I think I made my forum account in August 2011 after buying the "early access" 0.7.3 release.  I could've gotten in for $7, but was so impressed I went an extra $3.  :wub:

I ran across a video of it while looking up space videos on YouTube. My first reaction was “That looks really boring!”. Then I ran across a few more videos of it later on and it eventually started to appeal to me. Downloaded the demo sometime in late 2015, almost 6 years later and it’s still my favorite game. To this day I’ve never been more excited playing a game than the first time I made it above the atmosphere and heard that music:cool:

My teacher had version 0.24 in on the computers in middle school, I started playing it at the tail end of the school year (2019) and played it all of the next school year (2019-2020). Pandemic hit and no more KSP until I bought it October 8th, 2020. I now have approximately 430 hours.

A friend of my daughter showed me the demo... I don't remember his name now.
I played it for 3 days, and got to the Mun successfully, but kept crashing when I tried to land
I got so frustrated I literally rage bought the full version, just because I couldn't let the Mun win... lol
The rest is history

Edited by Just Jim

I watched a video (I don't remember the name) and just for fun looked up the game on steam. Then the magical three factors got me into it: It looked amazing, I had the system specs (I don't have a very powerful PC). And the last factor: the price was regionalized, this is a thing in wich games change prices to something lower so it is affordable with devaluated money and inflated prices (like I have In my country)

Edited by Kapitalizing Every Word

I watched the Apollo landing in school and spent a lifetime playing with model space ships and latter the early "moon" lander video games on a trusty old Commodore PET.  

When KSP came along it just clicked for me - close to actual physics and it didn't feel like submarines in space like so many other games did.  Haven't looked back.

On 9/29/2021 at 8:18 AM, AtomicTech said:

My teacher had version 0.24 in on the computers in middle school, I started playing it at the tail end of the school year (2019) and played it all of the next school year (2019-2020). Pandemic hit and no more KSP until I bought it October 8th, 2020. I now have approximately 430 hours.

Scratch that, about 500 hours

12 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

Scratch that, about 500 hours

He’s working overtime playing KSP!

Getting back on topic, I first became aware of KSP in late 2015 from a YouTuber called ZeRoyalViking while watching his universe sandbox videos in which he kept mentioning the game. I then decided to go check out his ksp videos and started to get into the game, watching countless videos about it before I finally used a steam gift card I got for my  birthday in April 2016 to buy the game that June. Since then I’ve racked up almost 1900 hours in the game according to steam.

I was bored one day and remembered this guy who was trying to walk to the Far Lands in Minecraft . I wondered if he was still doing it, so I searched for him on YouTube.

I discovered that his name was KurtJMac. Not only was he still going to the Far Lands (and still is!), but he had just started playing this game about running a space program.

I downloaded the demo that very day and within a weekend landed on Mun and bought the game.

Edited by Superfluous J

I first saw this game on one of the many torrent sites and didn't think much of it. Then, I accidentally stumbled on one of Scott Manley's Interstellar Quest videos (it was 3rd or 4th episode if I remember correctly). I then downloaded the game, saw that I am able to run it on my then PC so I bought it and started playing.

But now I am in a bit of a trouble as to how to introduce my friend to KSP. She recently started an engineering degree at university and is absolutely interested in space, planets, stars, possibility of alien life and is kinda interested into rocketry and technology around them. So I mentioned KSP few times but I'd like to show something to her because it would explain the game much better than I can do with words. So in last few days I was searching on YouTube trying to find a more recent short video (2-5 minutes) that would actually show to a newcomer what the game is. And I just couldn't find anything with as little modded content as possible (because I want to present her the game as it is when you install it, mods come later). So if any one of you knows of such video please share a link with me :)

It's a shame but actually I do not remember the exact events:

it was around the period I left EveOnline, so in a broad sense a lot of space-stuff related games were often played by my recommended Youtube videos.
Then stumbled in an early gameplay of KSP 0.13 and, even if bare, had something really interesting in it.

I then followed the development a bit, and in a token of apreciation (because I liked the idea behind the game) I threw in the money needed to "buy" it, even if I actually started to play a bit later, when the initial prototype of spaceplane parts were added, with the first rework of the parts available (when the small white mk1 pod was swapped in favour of the first iteration of the mk.1-2, actually sized to fit 3 kerbal inside... it should been probably KSP 0.15...)

I then struggled a lot with my pc at the time, so I had to take a bit of a break untill I get a better rig: I'm here then since 0.17, when I started to collect mods to "upgrade" the game (I still have everything on archive, from that day onward).

The rest is history, marked by my presence in this very forum since the 3rd of September 2012. Already 9 years........
KSP is without doubt the "longest game" I ever played (even if not continnously).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.