[1.8 - 1.12] KSPCommunityFixes - Bugfixes and QoL tweaks

Gotmachine

On 6/10/2022 at 4:39 PM, theJesuit said:

Oh

I just had this issue in a kerbalism simplex save... so this is a stock bug then?

I was not precise enough: they work in stock; they don’t work with kerbalism.

8 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

You've not been a slouch either the last few days. :D

I broke most of the things I end up fixing though.

I call it the "ying yang of adding features"

3 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

I was not precise enough: they work in stock; they don’t work with kerbalism.

Ah.  Eva propellant works when i first do an eva, maybe after a game load but a second eva or different vessel or going back to the space centre doesnt have the propellant loading.

If it is kerbalism I'll go looking for an answer.

11 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Ah.  Eva propellant works when i first do an eva, maybe after a game load but a second eva or different vessel or going back to the space centre doesnt have the propellant loading.

Right, I think whatever changes in later KSP version were done to make the jetpack work with eva fuel cylinders broke it.

Possible fix request: the in-game transfer window alarms seem completely broken.  I'm sorry I don't have great details on this or repro steps; I could probably dig something up if you need it.  But it's comically wrong, and I've seen many many people reporting problems like this.

On 6/13/2022 at 11:25 AM, theJesuit said:

Well, i saw somewhere that after you exit a craft, move the kerbal eva inventory part to a slot on the vessel and back again to the kerbal.  This is a work around that works.  Still not sure if kerbalism casues the issue or not.

7 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

the in-game transfer window alarms seem completely broken

The 1.12 maneuver planner tool has many issues, some are simply UI/usability problems that are relatively trivial to fix, but others are just the solver(s) not being up to the task (not to mention implementation issues that can cause the game to freeze).
I have no intent to "fix" it as there are more complete and actually maintained alternatives in the modding ecosystem, and I believe that unless somebody starts some active development to fix/expand the stock thing (possibly reusing code from existing mods), it will simply never be something really up to the task.

Which is why currently, the only fix for the maneuver planner in KSPCF is adding the ability to disable it.

This being said, the main issue with it is that it often simply doesn't update the transfer solution according to the current orbit if it has changed since the last time the craft was loaded, which result in garbage transfer time / transfer parameters.
That could be fixed, but before anything is done on the usability/features front, the major bug causing stutter/freezes must be identified and fixed. I personally have no intent to work on that.

@theJesuit@JonnyOThan It's quite possible that there is a Kerbalism issue with the EVA propellant handling.
I did add support for the "new" KSP 1.11+ EVA propellant system using cargo parts at the time, but I think I saw some related changes in 1.12, so maybe the support code isn't working as intended anymore.
In any case, this isn't the right place to talk about it (but don't count on me to work on that even you talk about it elsewhere :P)

• 2 weeks later...

V1.17.0 is out.

Available from GitHub and CKAN.

Changes in that release :

• New KSP bugfix : StickySplashedFixer [KSP 1.8.0 - 1.12.3]
    Fix vessel never leaving the splashed state if it starts out splashed, and decouples from its only splashed parts. This also fixes an issue where Splashed overrides Prelaunch as a situation. (@NathanKell)
  • New modding bugfix : DepartmentHeadImage [KSP 1.8.0 - 1.12.3]
    Fix administration building custom department head image not being used when added by a mod. (@NathanKell)
  • PersistentIConfigNode patch : added Guid serialization support to CreateObjectFromConfig(), LoadObjectFromConfig() and CreateConfigFromObject() methods (@NathanKell).

1 hour ago, Gotmachine said:

New KSP bugfix : StickySplashedFixer [KSP 1.8.0 - 1.12.3]

There's also the occasional LANDED stuck state, when you lift off and go to orbit, but the game still thinks the vessel is landed. Don't know how easily it's fixable, if at all. Reproduction might also be difficult, as far as I saw, it's inconsistent. 

22 minutes ago, dok_377 said:

There's also the occasional LANDED stuck state

The fix might help with that, but this is unverified. The specific case it might fix would a simultaneous decouple-launch action (think Apollo mun lander departure) where the "grounded" parts are staying behind.
It does fix a general vessel state update logic potential issue in the KSP code, but there are many things that could be responsible for the "stuck landed state" issue and without analyzing a reproduction case, it's all very hypothetical.

30 minutes ago, Gotmachine said:

(think Apollo mun lander departure)

I did that myself a lot of times, but never had that bug happen. That's why I said it's inconsistent. The only time it was 100% consistent was back in the day when somebody landed a bit rough and left like a piece of a broken solar panel on the ground and then lifted off without timewarping (which makes debris disappear). Then it got officially fixed. That might have a connection with the bug that we have today, it might be the same thing, just happening differently. 

Edited by dok_377

V1.18.0 is out.

Available from GitHub and CKAN.

Changes in that release :

• New performance patch : MemoryLeaks [KSP 1.12.0 - 1.12.3]
    Fix a bunch of managed memory leaks, mainly by proactively removing GameEvents delegates originating from destroyed UnityEngine.Object instances on scene switches. Will log detected leaks and memory usage. Also seeSettings.cfg to enable advanced logging options that can be useful to hunt down memory leaks in mods. You can all thanks @Gameslinx for complaining about the KSP memory leaks and triggering my inner bug hunter self :P
  • New KSP bugfix : RescaledRoboticParts [KSP 1.8.0 - 1.12.3]
    Fix rescaled robotics parts propagating their scale to childrens after actuating the servo in the editor (thanks to @pap1723)
  • New QoL patch : AutostrutActions [KSP 1.8.0 - 1.12.3]
    Allow autostrut mode to be toggled with action groups (requires advanced tweakables to be enabled). (suggested by forum user @RealKerbal3x)
Edited by Gotmachine

@Gotmachine
This version breaks something in the editor (game version 1.10.1). When I switch the symmetry mode, the game just starts spamming ghosted version of the part that I'm trying to place with a lot of errors in the console. Reverting to KSPCF 1.17 fixes the ussie.  

KSP.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tAW8SPknb-cQKLfNS2BWSTwMZ77pyVeC
Player.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15joPMHrboJRMs4EfUvSguAmdYfJgrAbZ

Edited by dok_377

25 minutes ago, dok_377 said:

When I switch the symmetry mode, the game just starts spamming ghosted version of the part that I'm trying to place with a lot of errors in the console

That's a fun one (kidding)

54 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

30 minutes from feature request to release

Maybe a bit too fast :P

So, this is caused by the AutostrutActions patch.
Will release a fixed version ASAP, but right now you can disable the patch by editing the "Settings.cfg" file and changing "AutostrutActions = true" to "AutostrutActions = false".

Sorry for inconvenience and thanks for the quick report.

Edited by Gotmachine

@Gotmachine So, I hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but I found a bit of an issue with the new autostrut patch: If you add an autostrut action group to a craft in the VAB and then launch it, the action group assignment will vanish when the flight scene loads. The action group will work fine if you add it via the inflight action group editor, but it disappears when moving from the editor to flight. 

I don't know if this is related to the issue dok_377 reported above, but I thought I would let you know. I was able to reproduce the issue in a clean 1.12.3 install with only KSPCF, MM and Harmony installed, but if you need a KSP.log I can provide one.

46 minutes ago, Gotmachine said:

Will release a fixed version ASAP, but right now you can disable the patch by editing the "Settings.cfg" file and changing "AutostrutActions = true" to "AutostrutActions = false".

By the way, a bit unrelated, I'm just curious. If I'm installing this mod on 1.10.1 and not disabling any patches from 1.11 & 1.12, they will just not apply to my version without any side effects, right? It's a bit tedious to go through each version and individually add new patches to my disabling MM file otherwise. 

Okay, just released v1.18.1 with a fixed version of the AutostrutActions patch.
Should now work as intended and not be causing exceptions all over the place.

6 minutes ago, dok_377 said:

If I'm installing this mod on 1.10.1 and not disabling any patches from 1.11 & 1.12, they will just not apply to my version without any side effects, right?

Yeah, patches that aren't applicable to your current KSP version aren't applied at all.

Hmm, I think somewhere along the line, KSPCF has broken the behavior of QuickStart.  When QuickStart is configured to go to the most recently flown vessel, it just ends up in the SpaceCenter view and still has the countdown timer text on the screen.  I tried KSPCF 1.18 and 1.17 and it's broken in both of those.  I use KSPCF 1.9  for my TPKSP install and it works fine there.  Sorry I can't narrow it down better.

Edited by JonnyOThan

Just installed the latest update. VAB is borked, hovering a part over the vessel in the editor with symmetry enabled causes infinite copies of the part to be placed on the vessel under the mouse cursor. Debug console shows NRE spam when this occurs.

Log is too large for Pastebin, looks like, probably all the nullrefs.