[1.8 - 1.12] KSPCommunityFixes - Bugfixes and QoL tweaks

Gotmachine

5 minutes ago, tg626 said:

At which point I found my toolbar was normal, and my sounds were working.

Specifically on the toolbar issue, it can appear without any of these mods: KSPCF, TS, TSCo, BTW ... and it can come and go without any changes to the mod set. A KSP restart fixes the toolbar issue for me 100% of the time. 

The question to all fellow victims of GCoD: how much RAM do you have and how many percents of it are consumed by KSP?

Me: 32GB, memory usage while running KSP begins with 60%  when the flight scene is loaded for the first time and gets above 70%-80% after a few hours

8 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Specifically on the toolbar issue, it can appear without any of these mods: KSPCF, TS, TSCo, BTW ... and it can come and go without any changes to the mod set. A KSP restart fixes the toolbar issue for me 100% of the time. 

So KSPCF may be just another trigger for a internal KSP problem.

What I'm getting from the support I did (and still do) is that, under certain conditions still to be determined, some very weird behaviours are detected:

• Double patching those only way to happen is having two module managers running in parallel
  • Patching corruption on Localizations, where some nodes had copies of itself inside them. This started to happen on MM 4.2.2 (what makes sense, since patching Localizations was implemented on 4.2.2)
    • EDIT: Only detectable by inspecting the Module Manager's ConfigCache.
  • Unexpected and unexplained misbehavirours, some of them causing NREs on the KSP.log, and that I never managed to reproduce myself even by cloning the user's GameData and savegames on my rig.
    • And I do not use KSPCF.

On every single case, KSPCF was installed on user's machine. On every single attempt of mine (that didn't managed to reproduce the problem), KSPCF was not.

The only common ground on every one of the KSP.logs I inspected about these problems are:

• The presence of problems related to Assemblies (not all of them being Reflection Exceptions)
  • The presence of KSPCF
  • The presence of the following lines on the log:
    • [LOG 19:14:24.331] [KSPCF] Taking over stock loader. An exception will follow, this is intended.
      [EXC 19:14:24.337] Exception: Terminating stock loader coroutine, this is intended and not an error
              KSPCommunityFixes.Performance.KSPCFFastLoader.GameDatabase_SetupMainLoaders_Prefix () (at <757279e523bf49d5b10dffca7b72d0d8>:0)
              (wrapper dynamic-method) GameDatabase.GameDatabase.SetupMainLoaders_Patch1(GameDatabase)
              GameDatabase+<LoadObjects>d__90.MoveNext () (at <46478292153440df94e04a2a2ddd1062>:0)
              UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <ef038509c5b948af8d6049dcab97ad3f>:0)
              UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
              ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
              UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
              <CreateDatabase>d__71:MoveNext()
              GameDatabase:StartLoad()
              <LoadSystems>d__11:MoveNext()
              LoadingScreen:Start()

So the ToolbarBehaviour could be another symptom of the problem due the apparent "recursion" involved due uncontrolled (and unwanted) concurrency.

All of that doesn't means necessarily that KSPCF is the cause of the problem - correlation is not causality. But it strongly suggests that KSPCF is a trigger or an enabler for the problem.

It's perfectly possible (and perhaps probable) that by allowing the game to keep going on situations where the absence of KSPCF would trigger a fatal error demanding the immediate shutdown, another nasty problem starts to happen later as consequence.

Anyway. Until further information is provided, my evidences still suggest that KSPCF is involved on the problem somehow.

Edited by Lisias
EDIT - forgot to mention the Config Cache.

Not sure if it’ll help but the timeline of events for my issue and the issue solving are as follows: 

1. Update Tweak Scale, parts of Tweak Scale Co, and KSPCF at the same time. Duplication and GCoD start.

2. Try installing Tweakscale beta frameworks and reverting KSPCF. Duplication and GCoD continue

3. Delete TSCo and reinstall it. Duplication and GCoD cease.

4. Update KSPCF. Duplication and GCoD still gone. 

I guess I do need to look into my logs and see which mods are having issues and look at cutting them out as that might be causing instabilities that lead to GCoD.

5 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

[words]

[snip]

Problem preemptively solved ! :joy:

Spoiler

Besides the tongue in cheek answer, not to mention the irresistible opportunity for a pay back, the fact is that a lot of the logs I received were downloaded after asking authorisation on Google Drive or similar services, which makes clear a expectancy of privacy.

Under my Country's laws, and under European Union's too, giving you such logs would be a serious privacy offence - see the GDPR discussion where I think we had discussed the subject in 2018 IIRC).

And since I idiotically didn't tracked correctly what logs came from public services (where no expectancy of privacy is implied) or not, I don't know what logs I can or can't send to you. Sorry about that.

So your best line of action is, indeed, seek my posts on the Forum and check them. I usually quote parts of the respective log, and this may help a bit on the matter. You can focus on the reports from this year, last December or November at worst - I don't have remembrances of these problems before that.

Additionally, you will be able to check what logs are public and what ones are under an authorisation wall - and so you will be able to ask the user for the authorisation the same.

Edited by Lisias
Geez… Good thing I'm a programmer and not a novelist! Need to have some rest, my Grammars are specially bad tonight...

FWIW, I’ve seen the duplicated toolbar buttons occasionally on twitch plays KSP and I’m pretty sure it was related to people issuing scene switch commands without waiting for them to finish. That’s not exactly a situation that I would expect most people to even be able to do (but did I see that someone with this issue was using krpc?) but maybe there are other mods causing similar issues.

I have 85 mods including TS and KSPCF and I don't have any problems with duplicate icons or green clipboards. I assume the kraken has even worse plans for me. 

Request for fix... is it possible to turn off the lights on the 2 retractable ladders when they are retracted? I know it's minor but maybe easy to fix. It's just unnatural to have this eerie light glow all around the ladder storage compartment. 

A bigger issue is that all artificial light passes through solid parts without casting shadows, but that seems like a whole mod to add shadows or just can't be fixed in KSP1. I entered a bug report and it was reviewed but not implemented. Does this work in KSP 2?

8 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

A bigger issue is that all artificial light passes through solid parts without casting shadows, but that seems like a whole mod to add shadows or just can't be fixed in KSP1. I entered a bug report and it was reviewed but not implemented. Does this work in KSP 2?

That's performance compromise most likely.
Aka you may have shadows from everything, but you'll have to pay for them in fps and a lot, therefore you don't.

9 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

A bigger issue is that all artificial light passes through solid parts without casting shadows

Each light decides if it should cast shadows, and each mesh gets to decide if it should cast and/or receive shadows.  It's certainly possible to write a mod that changes this behavior but it's probably outside the scope of KSPCF and it would be useful if you were more specific about what the problems are - because I've definitely seen part shadows cast from lights.

10 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

It's certainly possible to write a mod that changes this behavior but it's probably outside the scope of KSPCF

Agreed. I'll start a new thread to babble about shadows. 

10 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

it would be useful if you were more specific about what the problems are

Turn off the light on the Kelus-LV ladder when it's retracted. Or alternatively toggle that light with the L key like every other light. 

Edited by Krazy1
thread link

7 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Turn off the light on the Kelus-LV ladder when it's retracted. Or alternatively toggle that light with the L key like every other light. 

Ah gotcha. This does sound similar to the landing gear issue, where their lights don’t turn off when retracted.

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

If you mean the ".0", I've noticed its KSP-AVC that seems to be parsing that out... I've seen it on other mods :(

No, I'm not seeing anything above 1.25.5 on Github... It's like AVC got updated but the package didn't get deployed.

Edited by tg626

Stock transfer alarm is broken when going from a larger orbit (Kerbin) to a smaller orbit (Eve).

Steps to reproduce:

1) Create a stock transfer alarm for going Kerbin to Eve

2) Warp to alarm

3) It brings you to a wildly incorrect position.

Oddly it works if you set it backwards:
1) Create a transfer alarm for going from Eve to Kerbin (even thoough you are starting on Kerbin)

2) Warp to alarm

3) Now you're in the correct position to go from Kerbin to Eve.

Edited by immolated

Regarding the incompatibility between Community Fixes and SCON (SimpleConstruction) and EPL (Extraplanetary Launchpads), it's been said over on the github issues tracker that the issue stems from the ConfigNodePerf patch, and that by disabling the patch the issue isn't there. Would disabling that patch cause bigger issues with the rest of KSPCF such as conflicts with other patches? or would it just mean my game won't be as optimized as it could be? I don't see a true/false setting in the settings.cfg file, so if I were to disable it, how would I do that?

I've tried simply adding "ConfigNodePerf = False" to the file, but it doesn't seem to affect the issue. Does the patch have a different name than described in the readme?

I'm asking here, because I don't want to clog the issues tracker with questions that don't help resolve the issue.