[1.8 - 1.12] KSPCommunityFixes - Bugfixes and QoL tweaks

Gotmachine

I'm not so sure the latest docking port rotation fixes actually worked. I set up a very simple walker. In the SPH, when I run the KAL controller sequence, everything works fine. Ports are set with rotation lock off, and the legs swing as expected, as do the piston extensions and retracts.  I launch the vessel and the vertical leg motion still works fine (using pistons) but the docking ports barely move at all. I've tried cheating the vessel to a lower gravity environment and the legs still do not swing (the ports do not rotate). I revert to the SPH and look at the ports again, and they are all marked as rotation locked...and I did make sure to save the vessel before launch, and I am 100% certain that the ports were set to have rotation locking OFF.

32 minutes ago, Michel Bartolone said:

I am 100% certain that the ports were set to have rotation locking OFF

You might want to explicitly set rotation locking off in your KAL sequence.
Docking ports are set to auto-lock themselves in many cases. Honestly I don't remember which ones, but KSPCF should follow stock behavior in this.
Using the rotation feature in a KAL sequence doesn't actually check for the locked state, which can result in weird stuff happening.
TBH, I don't recommend using the rotation feature within a KAL sequence, use regular robotic parts instead.
While I did a decent pass to fix many of that feature bugs (like it simply not working at all in the editor), this is clearly something that wasn't properly implemented and tested by Squad, and I probably won't ever have the courage to go over it again.

On 5/6/2023 at 1:46 PM, Gotmachine said:
  • New performance/bugfix patch : DragCubeGeneration [KSP 1.12.0 - 1.12.5], faster and more reliable implementation of drag cube generation. Improves overall loading times (both game load and scene/vessel/ship load times), prevent occasional lag spikes (in the editor mostly) and fix some issues causing incorrect drag cubes to be generated (notable examples are the stock inflatable heat shield, the 1.25m and 2.5m nose cones and the Mainsail shroud). Note that by design, this patch results in a small deviation from the stock behavior for buyoancy, aerodynamics and thermodynamics, as the generated drag cubes will be slightly different.

Does this apply to FAR at all?

9 hours ago, kerbnub said:

Does this apply to FAR at all?

Yes and no.
This doesn't affect FAR because (AFAIK) it doesn't use drag cube for its overrides of the stock aerodynamics and buoyancy.
However, drag cubes are still used and computed (and are still used for thermodynamics) even in the presence of FAR, so the patch has the same benefits in terms of performance even if FAR is installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct forum.  If not, could someone please redirect me?  I believe this is the mod that adds options to the part's "info" (right click on part)?  If so, where do I find information on what the different buttons (options) do?  I've looked through all of the pages of this thread and no mention of any "instructions" or manual to be found.  

Some of the buttons are self-explanatory, but others I haven't a clue what they are for, when to use them, what benefit would they be to my flight(s)...

"require complete", "Remove from symmetry", "same vessel interaction", and several other options.

(Someday I'll figure out how to add images to my posts) :D

Thanks!

TB2

9 hours ago, TBryson2 said:

(Someday I'll figure out how to add images to my posts) :D

Take a screenshot, upload to an image sharing site, such as Imgur, then paste a link to the image in your post.

I'm not sure I can address your principle problem.  If I understand you correctly, every mod can add applicable items to the right-click Part Action Window (PAW).  There's no one place where they're all defined; each mod would describe its own additions and use cases.

10 hours ago, Brigadier said:

I'm not sure I can address your principle problem.  If I understand you correctly, every mod can add applicable items to the right-click Part Action Window (PAW).  There's no one place where they're all defined; each mod would describe its own additions and use cases.

Thank you for the reply.  I wasn’t aware that this mod worked in that fashion.  I assumed, (yes, I know), these were options  this mod added to the PAW itself.  I saw the term “PAW” elsewhere but wasn’t sure exactly what it referenced to . Thanks for educating me! 

Hmmm.   Well that does make life a bit more difficult.   Time doing research, or experimenting  (when I could be flying) just to find how one “command” works.   And not knowing where to look.  Oh well. 

Again, thanks for the reply!  

TB2

21 hours ago, TBryson2 said:

"require complete", "Remove from symmetry", "same vessel interaction", and several other options.

Maybe just by coincidence, but the few examples you point out are all stock PAW items, and you can learn about them by googling "ksp require complete"  or "ksp remove from symmetry" for example. This should get you at least some info on any stock PAW item.  If you pick an item that isn't stock, you still might get some references to whatever mod it comes from., which you can then google "ksp <modname>" and you'll likely find a forum thread link which should have info about the specific mod's operation. All this is couched in "usually" and "probably" because we're talking about regular people like you and me expanding the game, and whether all those things are fully, professionally documented or not ... well, don't count on too much.

Yea, I figured I’ll try that route first.  It’s not all that critical, but hey, if someone took the time to implement it, it might be nice to know!  

Thanks for the tip!  And yes!  I found what I was looking for this way!

TB2

Edited by TBryson2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2023 at 4:50 PM, Krakatoa said:

I'm having the same issue. It's definitely tied to the upgrade system that WBI takes advantage of. It's like the new key array is being multiplied on the old instead of replacing it. It affected all the engines with upgrade ability, and I have a feeling it messed with the MOLE and other upgrades, too. I deleted just KSPCF and now all the numbers look correct.

I am still having this issue and it's being reported by multiple users on the WBI thread.

I already disabled all plugins (via ModuleManager config) mentioned in the settings file and the error still persists, so it's probably something that can't be turned off. Only fully removing KFSPCF fixes the upgrade issue.

22 hours ago, jinks said:

I am still having this issue and it's being reported by multiple users on the WBI thread.

Which thread / post ? There are at least 8 different WBI mods. I haven't investigated this issue because nobody managed to give me a clear description of which mod is involved nor what mechanism or part isn't working.

31 minutes ago, Gotmachine said:

Which thread / post ? There are at least 8 different WBI mods. I haven't investigated this issue because nobody managed to give me a clear description of which mod is involved nor what mechanism or part isn't working.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/154893-min-ksp-1122-mark-one-laboratory-extensions-mole/page/46/#comment-4208790

is a good start.

I can provide you a screenshot and logs in a few hours, but the logs didn't yield anything obvious when greping through them...

Hi,

Feature request / idea : ability to remove the crew protrait of Kerbals on external command seats, since this is causing a lot of lag on crafts having a lot of them (in stock KSP, with a craft with 32 cmd seats, my fps is really terrible. Otherwize I get always 60+, even with large crafts of 100+ parts).

Don't know at which point this is possible, since IIRC this is not an "IVA" per se, but rather the camera as we see it on EVA portraits. So I guess this would also remove the EVA camera portrait, but this one is purely cosmetic anyway (no gameplay usages/interactions possible with it).

Thank you !

Peace :) 

Edited by kurgut

1 hour ago, kurgut said:

Hi,

Feature request / idea : ability to remove the crew protrait of Kerbals on external command seats, since this is causing a lot of lag on crafts having a lot of them (in stock KSP, with a craft with 32 cmd seats, my fps is really terrible. Otherwize I get always 60+, even with large crafts of 100+ parts).

Don't know at which point this is possible, since IIRC this is not an "IVA" per se, but rather the camera as we see it on EVA portraits. So I guess this would also remove the EVA camera portrait, but this one is purely cosmetic anyway (no gameplay usages/interactions possible with it).

Thank you !

Peace :) 

This is interesting. It could be a performance issue with the external seat module, or a problem with the portrait code where it is trying to update/render the hidden portraits. 

22 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

This is interesting. It could be a performance issue with the external seat module, or a problem with the portrait code where it is trying to update/render the hidden portraits. 

Yep, I think this is more towards the second point, as IIRC it's the same process going on with IVA portraits on large crafts having a lot of kerbals. (thus the disable IVA fix KSPCF provides)
Also tried my craft, but without kerbals on it and keeping the ext cmd seat, and was having 60+ fps.
edit Also if you switch to a normal vessel next to a craft having a lot of ExtCmdSeats, all the lag is gone. So the "issue" occurs only when controlling the concerned vessel.

Edited by kurgut

3 hours ago, kurgut said:

as IIRC it's the same process going on with IVA portraits on large crafts having a lot of kerbals.

I am skeptical because a majority of that cost is updating animations and whatnot for the kerbals. I’d assume that does not apply to external command seats because it’s just doing their normal animations.  If that’s the case, then  just having lots of animating kerbals is expensive and turning off the portraits isn’t going to help.

3 hours ago, kurgut said:

Also if you switch to a normal vessel next to a craft having a lot of ExtCmdSeats, all the lag is gone. So the "issue" occurs only when controlling the concerned vessel.

Ah that probably indicates it’s not the animations. Good data!

On 6/23/2023 at 8:18 AM, NathanKell said:

Released 1.29.1 to fix https://github.com/KSPModdingLibs/KSPCommunityFixes/issues/152 -- it's a general issue with ConfigNodePerf and ConfigNode.CopyTo where stock doesn't recurse with 'overwrite' enabled and I was, leading to nodes that could not have duplicate value names.

Took me a few days to get back to this, but it definitely fixes the problem with WBI Engines. Thank you!

On 6/27/2023 at 12:45 PM, omegalex said:

I'm new to this, do all of the community patches listed in the description come with the installation of the KerbalCommunityFixes gamedata folder? I want to make sure that I'm not missing out on the patches. If they don't come with the install (this one: https://github.com/KSPModdingLibs/KSPCommunityFixes/releases ), then how do I apply them?

The patches are all available but some are disabled by default. Open the settings.cfg file from the KSP community fixes folder in a text editor to change which ones are enabled.

I think I found a new ksp-bug/limitation:

Setup: heavily modded installation with several ressource converters and many ressource types. All those nice converters work nicely if you test them seperately in reasonable small vessels. Buuuuut: If you try to build a massive multi-fuel-station which can produce any kind of fuel (stock, near future, far future, blueshift, cryo engines etc.) which has also tanks for resources and intermediate products on board, some ressource converters glitch out: in my setup the stock convertotron produces monoprop correctly and fills up a docked vessel. But as soon as I switch to LF or Ox production it says all tanks would be full and doesn't produce anything - even with an empty vessel docked (the same vessel, that received monoprop just before). There must be some kind of limitation or overflow in the internal ksp ressource handling if you build big stations with many converters and many ressource types on board. Even removing some converters by undocking parts of my massive fuel station did not work, because the main (undockable part) had so many fuel tanks for ore and intermediate products .... then I went back to setting up a small much more specialized fuel station, everything worked... 

Maybe this is an issue, that might be of interest of the KSPCF-Team, because I guess, there is some kind of issue in the KSP ressource handling, that glitches if you have too many ressource types on the same vessel, prohibiting to find the ressource converts to find all empty tanks to be filled up.

@NathanKell 

@Gotmachine

I could provide a savegame, that has this issue - but it would require you to install dozens of mods. So I guess, you don't want it.

5 hours ago, Rakete said:

I could provide a savegame, that has this issue - but it would require you to install dozens of mods. So I guess, you don't want it.

If you want anyone to have a hope of investigating this, you'd need to make it as easy as possible for them to reproduce the issue - too much info is always better than not enough.