Repair kits and how to use them?

I have a contract to repair solar panels.      I have repair kits in my engineer's inventory.   (Right click on  engineer, click on inventory, and I have 2.   Also EVA refill and wrench).

I can equip the wrench.  I can equip the refill.   I click on the repair kits, and they say "no action".   I'm right on top of the solar panel.   I click on it, and it the "repair" tab pops up.   I click on that, and in green at

top of screen it says "EVA repair kit required".    I click and drag repair kit, it gives me options to rotate, drop, place on node etc.    

What am I missing?   Should be a simple fix right?!

It sounds like you are using KIS and have the repair kits in the engineer's KIS inventory.  Repair kits will not work from there.  They need to be in the kerbal's stock inventory which normally contains the parachute and EVA jetpack which can be removed from the kerbal.  It is not possible to switch an item from KIS inventory to stock inventory unless the item is placed down somewhere.  If this is in orbit you can put the parachute in the pod the kerbal came up with to make room for the repair kits.

3 hours ago, mikerl said:

It sounds like you are using KIS and have the repair kits in the engineer's KIS inventory.  Repair kits will not work from there.  They need to be in the kerbal's stock inventory which normally contains the parachute and EVA jetpack which can be removed from the kerbal.  It is not possible to switch an item from KIS inventory to stock inventory unless the item is placed down somewhere.  If this is in orbit you can put the parachute in the pod the kerbal came up with to make room for the repair kits.

Thank you VERY much.    You were spot on, and although I couldn't figure out how to swap the KIS repair kits into stock while "docked" with the satellite, I did return to Kerbin, and refly the mission with the kit in my stock inventory.

Now...would you like to go 2 for 2?     I also have a mission to attach a "mite" rocket to a satellite.    I have it in the KIS inventory, I can "pull" it out and get the pop up menu of "rotate, attach to node, drop" etc.    However, I find no way to move it from  my mother ship to the target some 200 meters away.    I also can not add it to my stock inventory...too big.    Any help would be great.   There aren't any tutorials I can find on Youtube, and nothing really fits the bill in the forums.

8 minutes ago, EmanonP said:

attach a "mite" rocket to a satellite

How much does the part weigh? in KIS a single kerbal can only move 1 ton of mass. To move more you need more kerbals nearby (each can move 1 ton extra). The KIS attachment range is well under 200 meters. You need to be closer.

See -> https://usermanual.wiki/Pdf/User20Guide.30709294.pdf

Edited by Caerfinon

Ahh....so if I'm reading this correctly....I need a storage container that can be detached and moved, that will let the part fit into it?   At this point I am using the Imic 800 to carry the Mite rocket.  I may be an idiot, but 

there is certainly nothing about these missions that is....intuitive?     I now have my main rocket within 20 meters of the satellite, but still can't maneuver or attach the rocket.    Not sure what I did, but at one point

it said "too heavy to move, bring more Kerbals".    So I eva'd the pilot, and nothing.     Ugh.    Been playing the game for years, but never really messed with the KIS/KAS, and especially not since they added this type of 

contract!

17 minutes ago, EmanonP said:

Ugh.

It can be frustrating.

You can attach a SC-62 container on a kerbal's back in KIS that allows the kerbal to carry more weight inside it and then move close to the attachment point. If you need more kerbals for dealing with a big part, they all need to be in close proximity to the engineer at the attachment point. Use the "H" key (with  power screwdriver equipped on engineer) to fix the part to the spot you want it.

These maneuvers are best practiced on the runway/luanchpad with a test set up prior to getting to orbit. That way you work out the kinks before having to do it in zero G which is tough enough as it is. 

Okay.    Figured out how to put the sc 62 on engineers back.    (SC 62 into the IMIC 800, then onto the Engineers back on EVA).    Mite rocket still to "big" to fit.     Tried moving it on launch pad with 2nd Kerbal, but apparently

I don't know how to use 2 to grab and move it.    Ah well, will keep trying.   Eventually I might get it, but will most likely not realize how I got there!

Thanks for the info so far.   It has been helpful.

So lets see.   First off, G key to grab.   Important .    On land, I can manipulate and move the mite a few feet at a time by grabbing and dropping.    Thought I had it knocked, then tried it in space.     

Only lets you drop it a very short short distance (basically on your head), with no real control.    I can grab it, but once grabbed, I can't switch back to EVA pack to move around....getting closer, but

still missing something?     

Can the mite not be put in a KIS container that will hold it  on your ship. Then maneuver the ship close to the location of the build. Then have the engineer remove it from the container and place it. With additional kerbals nearby for additional weight requirements?

Yes.   I have it in the KIS container.   I've maneuvered my really oversized "supply" ship to within 3 meters of the satellite.   (That took some doing...next time add rcs instead of cutting down on your engine impulse....)

Managed to grab the mite, and it did attach to the satellite (there has GOT to be a better way to move parts around in space!)     I got an announcement "we've begun to build in space" milestone, but the contract did not

complete.     Tried re orienting the mite on the satellite to no avail.     Perhaps bugged?     Anyway, one would think that when you "grab" something, you can then move your kerbal around with it in your grasp.   Much like you can grab

a meteorite with a claw and reposition it.    Again, may be missing something.....

2 minutes ago, EmanonP said:

but the contract did not

complete

Sometimes this "contract" gets bugged out and it doesn't remember the vesselID of repair target. At this point you have suffered enough and you could complete the contract in the cheat menu.

@EmanonP, these types of missions are based around stock construction and not the KIS method.  Items do not need to be in a container and can attached to one rocket and moved to another.  It's best to use the claw and rcs to get close so you don't have to move things too far, but if you have to move an item try drag and drop.  In space drop it on the kerbal then fly toward target, repeat as necessary.

• 7 months later...

@EmanonP So what did you need to repair in total? I have the same story as you, but on my satellite that I'm supposed to repair, there is nothing to repair. I click on the parts that need repair and none have the repair button popup. Perhaps this is just a mission issue.

I have enough EVA repair kits in my stock inventory and a drill in my KIS. Would that be enough to prompt the "repair" button via right click?

@mikerlAny thoughts on my scenario?

@WetDog, the Engineer will need to  EVA in order to use the kits.  The option to repair does not show until the kerbal is close enough.

Also the drill from KIS is not needed as that mod is an entirely separate item.

• 1 year later...
On 7/26/2021 at 6:55 AM, mikerl said:

Not sure if reviving this thread after all this time is the correct thing to do, but it's the only place where I've been able to find this being discussed.

I have KAS installed, but am trying to use repair kits, like the OP. I get the difference between the KAS inventory and the stock inventory.

I'm trying to follow the instructions here, but I can't figure out how to get my Kerbal to drop the things already filling up their stock inventory (parachute and EVA jetpack). If I click and drag out of the stock inventory, I get the standard KAS interface for dropping/attaching a part, but I can't get it to drop. Clicking on the ground near or far or on parts does nothing.

If I single click the item, it then moves with my cursor, but I can't get clicking anywhere to do anything. On the ground (nearby or far away), on a pod, whatever.

If I take out the kerbal's stock inventory items in the VAB/SPH and then launch, I have a free inventory slot, but I can't figure out how to pick up and use the repair kit. There is no right-click option, and dragging does nothing. I also can't figure out how to get it into stock inventory in the VAB. Anything I do in the part list closes the menu that shows the seat inventory.

What on earth am I doing wrong? How do I drop and pick up things using stock inventory? I'm at a total loss here, and I'm sure I will feel very silly when I'm told the answer.

Edited by Tokamak

On 10/27/2023 at 4:20 PM, Tokamak said:

Wow I forgot about this thread, and it has been awhile since I last played KSP1, but I'll see if I can help.

To begin with click-drag is the KIS version of moving between inventories; the stock version uses click-move.  Items should highlight in green if they can be dropped or red if not.  When moving between inventories it helps to pin open the PAWs, even in the VAB.  To repair something once repair packs are in your kerbals inventory you need to right click on the part to be repaired and the option shows up if the kerbal is close enough.  This can only be done by an engineer.

I hope this helps, but ask me again if not.  I may have to actually boot into the game to figure this out.

3 hours ago, mikerl said:

Wow I forgot about this thread, and it has been awhile since I last played KSP1, but I'll see if I can help.

To begin with click-drag is the KIS version of moving between inventories; the stock version uses click-move.  Items should highlight in green if they can be dropped or red if not.  When moving between inventories it helps to pin open the PAWs, even in the VAB.  To repair something once repair packs are in your kerbals inventory you need to right click on the part to be repaired and the option shows up if the kerbal is close enough.  This can only be done by an engineer.

I hope this helps, but ask me again if not.  I may have to actually boot into the game to figure this out.

The part I'm stuck with is I can't even get it into the kerbal's stock inventory, at least in the field. I can remove the EVA widget or parachute from inventory in the VAB and load up some repair kits, (though I *also* can't figure out how to drop the existing stuff in EVA) but I can't figure out how to get them into inventory when outside of it. The only place I can store spares is in KAS containers. But if I take them out and drop them on the ground, I can't figure out how to pick them up and put them in the kebal's stock inventory.

So basically where I'm at is IF I remember to remove existing stuff and load up a couple of kits in the VAB before launch, then the kerbal can use those kits I pre-loaded and I can't get any more into inventory if they run out.

If I don't load them into inventory in the VAB, then I'm doubly out of luck, because I can't pick them up but ALSO can't drop the things taking up the inventory slots to make room. If I open up the stock inventory, I can "pick up" the item with a mouse click, but I can't seem to put it down anywhere. Clicking here there and everywhere does nothing, unless I click back in the inventory slot that it came from.

I'm sure it's something simple. I played zillions of hours of KSP some years ago, but they introduced this mechanic while I was away, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong >.<

On 11/1/2023 at 8:34 AM, mikerl said:

@Tokamak Figured something out, in order to activate EVA construction mode you need to press 'I' that is a capital i.  Then just click on the ground to drop items.  It can be more confusing when both are installed.

Pressing "I" doesn't seem to have any effect. I still can't drop things.

I feel kind of dumb, since clearly everybody else can figure this out, but I am still totally stuck.

It activates construction mode which is denoted by nearby inventories shown in a panel on the left.  To drop something just pick up an item and then click on the ground.  Do not use drag and drop as the click-drag method is for KAS and not the Stock method.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.