KSP 2 Ideas that don't merit their own thread.

So i was looking around the KSP 2 Develpompent ideas, and I couldn't find any "General Ideas" Threads.

So I made one.

My Ideas:

In the colony construction, let us make monorails that can take Kerbal diffent places, or even another colony. 

The rails would be fairly cheap, but the train part would be much more expensive.

The part manufactutear would be KNRF, or Kerbin National Railway Foundaion.

Yet another plug to get my fake company into KSP 2.

So that is my short idea!

Also, please put exoplanet ideas into this thread.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/203802-exoplanet-ideas/

One thing I'd love to see is a sensible way to save recovered vessels or recycle them for scrap.  This isn't a big deal in KSP1 because you're just recovering them for cash on Kerbin, but with off-world bases and stations and using raw building materials I think it would be useful to scrap and melt-down a vessel entirely (at some loss), or recover it to the the local VAB to be refueled or modified and then relaunched. Any parts added would be considered made from scratch at cost at launch, and any parts removed would be considered scrapped. This would let players take advantage of reusable vehicles and still let them refurbish or augment them over time. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

2 hours ago, Davi SDF said:

An in game mod workshop to make mod instalation so much easier would be awesome! Specially if it works kinda like Factorio mod workshop.

I like that idea. They did say it would be easier or maybe I should say more accessible for modders, I've been wondering exactly how they meant that.  It is possible that I missed where they explained it if they did.

This though I believe would be great. I could see some people being against it only because there will be so many mods some doing the same thing and some just very simplistic. Or basically a bunch of, for lack of a better term ... "junk"... But despite that, it's easy enough to sort through the good stuff in games I have that are similar to this.

Edited by Dientus
grammers and dots

7 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

One thing I'd love to see is a sensible way to save recovered vessels or recycle them for scrap.  This isn't a big deal in KSP1 because you're just recovering them for cash on Kerbin, but with off-world bases and stations and using raw building materials I think it would be useful to scrap and melt-down a vessel entirely (at some loss), or recover it to the the local VAB to be refueled or modified and then relaunched. Any parts added would be considered made from scratch at cost at launch, and any parts removed would be considered scrapped. This would let players take advantage of reusable vehicles and still let them refurbish or augment them over time. 

How about given the presence of an engineer, empty inventory space, and old vessel sections + time = an inventory of parts for construction at the click of a button instead of tediously driving a single kerbal in EVA for 45 minutes.  It would still take 45 minutes of game time, but you wouldn't have to manually go through the motions.  Parts that don't fit in inventory could be attached to predesignated sections of the hull of the scrapping craft.  A kerb could detach and toss undesired parts into a recycler to get raw materials from them instead.

8 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

I do the parking lot or tarmac parking for the crafts I want to save. But to save physics overhead I can live with a storage garage/hanger. The garage/hanger itself would have a defined square meters of storage and a defined footprint. Crafts that are physically too large to fit, can't but you can still use it for several small crafts. When recovering a craft, you have a choice to either park it or scrap it for resources.

11 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Being able to make platforms and landscape-y things with ore or koncrete or whatever could be cool.

A regolith 3D printer kind of thing?  At least being able to level and harden a "launch/landing pad" area using local materials would be nice.

18 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Being able to make platforms and landscape-y things with ore or koncrete or whatever could be cool.

There are going to be buildable roads and platforms, but not built out of the landscape. I think terrain deformation has been ruled out but there may be a loophole around concrete berms and platforms. 

Since bases and colonies are such big parts of the game id like to see some self leveling legs for small bases. Maybe even some tubes to connect them.

Edited by Dfthu

A kas type winch, could be a lot of fun, you could rescue things off of planets by winching them into a cargo bay, or you could land a large lander and deploy a rover from high up, and later pull it back up again.

On 7/29/2021 at 12:50 AM, afafsa said:

Visual relativistic effects. Nothing too complicated, but it'd be nice to see the effects of blue/red shifting stars when cruising at some fraction of light speed.

Nate already said they were working on relativistic effects, in an interview.:)

3 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

I think that if they were to add orbital decay it should definitely be toggleable because I'm sure that lots of people would hate to hear that their massive space station that took them hours to build crashed into kerbin while they were on an interstellar mission because of it.

It doesn't matter, orbital decay would only serve as a distraction from actual gameplay. You will have unstable orbits in proximity to Rask and Rusk to look forward to though.

I recently had an idea for KSP2's Adventure mode: Space Program Paths.

At the start of every adventure mode game, the player would be asked to select several general paths for the development of the space program, each with their own benefits and drawbacks. Each path would have it's own prime focus. The focus of these program's wouldn't be very specific, like "land x colonies by x year," or "send interstellar mission to another star by x year," but be much more general, such as milestones, exploration, or expansion. I see this especially relevant to colonies, which "population booms" in response to certain milestones would be affected.

One of these paths could be "Space Race," akin to the 1950s-1960s phase of NASA. While there would not be an actual competitor, the focus would be milestones - planting flags, landing on bodies, sending missions as fast as possible. As such there would be increased funding, but at the cost of decreased science gain (if those currencies still exist.) Kerbals would be more enthusiastic about the space program, thus showing their enthusiasm by increasing reproduction, causing bigger population booms, but the resulting population would be overall less skilled.

Another path could be "Planned Exploration," a massive cohesive effort by the kerbals to explore their system and beyond. As a result, the program is much more rigid and methodical, with decreased funding, but science gains would be increased. The primary feature of this program would be a strict timetable for exploration, not focusing on milestones, but focusing more on tech. While milestones would still be celebrated on Colonies, the resulting population boom would be smaller, but would have the advantage of having a more skilled workforce, meaning boosts in production.

A third path could be "Small Startup". With a minuscule amount of funding, the program would instead have to use clever ingenuity to succeed. As a result, there would be generous boosts in productivity, and periodic grants of funding that increase as more milestones are reached.

Although I think this is an interesting idea, it's probably too rigid for KSP2.

Here's one: colony styles. Basically there isn't only one look for whatever the new colony pieces are, there's a stock style, a retro futurism style, there's an industrial style, etc.

Modders could also make more styles for the pieces, a restock style, an interstellar style, etc

Edited by funnelton

5 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

I recently had an idea for KSP2's Adventure mode: Space Program Paths.

At the start of every adventure mode game, the player would be asked to select several general paths for the development of the space program, each with their own benefits and drawbacks. Each path would have it's own prime focus. The focus of these program's wouldn't be very specific, like "land x colonies by x year," or "send interstellar mission to another star by x year," but be much more general, such as milestones, exploration, or expansion. I see this especially relevant to colonies, which "population booms" in response to certain milestones would be affected.

One of these paths could be "Space Race," akin to the 1950s-1960s phase of NASA. While there would not be an actual competitor, the focus would be milestones - planting flags, landing on bodies, sending missions as fast as possible. As such there would be increased funding, but at the cost of decreased science gain (if those currencies still exist.) Kerbals would be more enthusiastic about the space program, thus showing their enthusiasm by increasing reproduction, causing bigger population booms, but the resulting population would be overall less skilled.

Another path could be "Planned Exploration," a massive cohesive effort by the kerbals to explore their system and beyond. As a result, the program is much more rigid and methodical, with decreased funding, but science gains would be increased. The primary feature of this program would be a strict timetable for exploration, not focusing on milestones, but focusing more on tech. While milestones would still be celebrated on Colonies, the resulting population boom would be smaller, but would have the advantage of having a more skilled workforce, meaning boosts in production.

A third path could be "Small Startup". With a minuscule amount of funding, the program would instead have to use clever ingenuity to succeed. As a result, there would be generous boosts in productivity, and periodic grants of funding that increase as more milestones are reached.

Although I think this is an interesting idea, it's probably too rigid for KSP2.

I love all this but I think these reward structures could just be built into the game, and rather than picking one at the beginning of the save you can just choose to pursue those goals as you play. For instance there could be bigger rewards for reaching milestones before a given calendar date (space race) or you could wait and build up a more robust exploration mission capable of gathering more scientific data. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

I would like to have a new reusability mechanic in wich you don't get money but the vessel/booster/ whatever you did craft so next time you build the price of THAT part in particular will be less and even lesser if you use the same design wich will appear in a special vab category these parts can be sold for raw money (if you built a one use rocket desgined for a specific payload).