KSP 2 Ideas that don't merit their own thread.

Some may not like this, and it's similar to other ideas previously, but I think it could be interesting if in MP if you do not have a clear line of communication to the other players location you can not communicate with them, or its garbled.

Yes I realize ship switching could circumvent. LoL just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Letting the action groups to set things like thrust and heading for controllable parts, and also for the decouplers and docking ports

Basically, you hit your action group button that separates your booster from payload, and if it has some sort of controlling that allows such level of precision (probe core, electricity and possibly comm network, or maybe actual pilot) and you set up "Orient retrograde" and "Full throttle" in action groups, it deorbits itself.

(Please don't deorbit stages automatically with pilot tho! Better to finish circularization automatically while landing booster manually...)

Of course if you are connected to the thing with multiple docking ports and separate only one with the action group, and it has such settings, hilariously terrible things ensue.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:34 AM, Neoks said:

add orbital decay in ksp 2 i would be cool 

Sorry, but I disagree.  I don't want to have to perpetually 'nurse' all my comms and survey sats (70+ currently).

I just 'assume' orbital decay happens, but that a team back at KSC constantly monitor and make minor tweaks to keep them all stable.  Ok I know fuel should deplete over time if that were actually simulated, but it's a game, and I want to do 'cool stuff', not housekeeping.

Edited by pandaman

A small menu that shows all crafts in vicinity which you can click to switch to them. Cycling through crafts with [ and ] is tiresome when you have surface outpost with several rovers, ascent vehicle, EVA kerbals and a base

Add a readout of current RCS delta-V, TWR and time of burn. That's it. No even using it in maneuver node calculations, just add show the numbers.  I had designs that use RCS for the whole upper stage moving duties to cut some mass, but the need to eyeball it or make an extensive pre-launch calculations just to get your limits is too much for me. Just make the numbers visible, I beg you.

With today's "show n tell" got me thinking of a couple things. 

One) a way to quickly reload a part to test without having to reload the whole parts database

Two) all resource conversions use a defined formula, format, and definitions.

On 8/20/2021 at 3:38 AM, nothingSpecial said:

Add a readout of current RCS delta-V, TWR and time of burn. That's it. No even using it in maneuver node calculations, just add show the numbers.  I had designs that use RCS for the whole upper stage moving duties to cut some mass, but the need to eyeball it or make an extensive pre-launch calculations just to get your limits is too much for me. Just make the numbers visible, I beg you.

For RCS, the current amount of torque or dω (total change in angular velocity) would be nice numbers to have. I'm assuming persistent rotation will be stock in KSP 2 as I think we all know it's kinda cheap to be able to timewarp to stop your vessel from spinning. So in general along with current relative velocity, angular velocity in general would be a nice number to have so we know if our vessel is experiencing a small rotation that's hard to notice. Would make syncing the rotation of a vessel with its own orbit a lot easier too.

On another note... Premade, possibly functional, payloads to send to orbit if any form of contract system still exists would be fun. Could be procedurally generated, dev created or even some form of community effort where people send in fun payloads that the devs approve that become stock payload sets for missions.

I think that it wouldn't be implemented and is kinda a minor detail, but ability to determine space suit coloration based not only on overall space program colors and individual kerbals' settings, but also on parts themselves.

So you have a shuttlealike cockpit where kerbals wear pumpkin-colored suits (determined by the pod), move them to another part that you use as an airlock, and they automatically change to the white suits with individually set stripes (determined by the kerbal). That's it.

Hardly anyone will ever prioritize this over anything, but a girl can dream, right?

(On the related note, if the suit's colors, whole helmet's colors and this part's colors

afjLARk_d.jpg

could be determined individually, pumpkin suit would be very easy to make. The illusion wouldn't survive going EVA, MACES-style, and putting down the visor, but it's okay)

Edited by nothingSpecial

• 3 weeks later...

A Golden Record item, for mid-game things once you first go interstellar. It wouldn't weigh much, but it could increase the possibility of contact by alien societies (if there are any). There could also be a later-game upgrade that would make it playable, with the ability to customize your soundtrack if you so wanted to do so. Maybe some off-brand versions of "Johnny B. Goode," Bach's Brandenburg Concerto, The Rite of Spring, Peruvian roncadoras, and other tracks found on the real-life Voyager record could be included as part of the stock set, though more could be added for customization.

It should cost 25,600 Kredits too, as a reference to the actual cost of the records themselves.

Edited by Interplanet Janet

On 8/25/2021 at 1:56 AM, mcwaffles2003 said:

Premade, possibly functional, payloads to send to orbit if any form of contract system still exists would be fun. Could be procedurally generated, dev created or even some form of community effort where people send in fun payloads that the devs approve that become stock payload sets for missions.

This would be great for multiplayer! i.e. you build a satellite and contract a friend to launch it for you, that sort of thing.

i would like the idea to terraform Duna, and other terrestrial like planets, also making the planet visually kerbin-like.

55 minutes ago, KrakenRider43 said:

I really hope that you can move around inside of the spacecraft it would be really cool and you could swap seats with other kerbals without needing to do an EVA

There is a mod called FreeIVA, and it works pretty well but i would love it to be in stock KSP2

On 9/16/2021 at 9:41 PM, Interplanet Janet said:

ability to customize your soundtrack if you so wanted to do so.

Can't wait to introduce aliens to heavy metal

On 8/1/2021 at 7:45 AM, funnelton said:

Here's one: colony styles. Basically there isn't only one look for whatever the new colony pieces are, there's a stock style, a retro futurism style, there's an industrial style, etc.

Modders could also make more styles for the pieces, a restock style, an interstellar style, etc

A retro-futurist style colony would be soooo rad!!! I can just imagine my atom-punk 50s sci fi funland on the Mün. 

I'd like to see seasonal changes. Summer is hotter and winter is colder. Planets with greater axial tilts will get more extreme seasons. And for course it depends on if you're in the northern or southern hemisphere. This would mean you'd have to plan for your craft's heating and cooling needs. This could also affect weather, whether you get rain or snow. Snow or dust storms might cover your solar panels, and you'd need to retract them to clean them or send out a kerbal to brush them off (works like fixing a part. You select the part with a kerbal and select "clean part" from the menu, then it plays an animation of the kerbal making a hand brushing motion and it's instantly clean.) Snow would melt eventually and rain could clean off dust, restoring your panels. Shaking your craft could also clear the panels (really all the game needs to do is test if the part receives a certain amount of g force, if it does than it counts as being shaken off.) A z-axis shader can be used to create the snow/dust effect on both the craft and on the terrain, an old tried and proven technique. (Skyrim uses this to simulate snow on meshes.)

1. Stop actively preventing me from having fun! Just about everything I've done in modded KSP recently has been thwarted by horrible bugs and terrible performance. It's just a shame everything it does do right is overshadowed by code that everyone left to the guy next to them to clean up and the fact that they kept a codebase best suited for the mobile game KSP was going to be. Multithreaded processing? Only loading necessary assets? What is this?? A game that doesn't try its best to crash? We can't have that, this is a Squad IP!

...sorry, KSP has been driving me insane lately in my attempts to play it.

I'd like it if Kerbin wasn't completely barren besides a few space launch centers.  Where is the civilization that built these rockets? A few pre-made/procedurally generated cities and towns would go a long way towards making the planet not feel fake. The devs wouldn't need to build them all by hand. There is already a system for terrain scattering rocks and trees, just adapt that. Have them generated by a seed where the city is generated procedurally on the terrain by following certain rules. They could even use the buildings and roads that have already been modeled for colony building.

• 3 weeks later...