KSP 2 Ideas that don't merit their own thread.

Another one:

MOAR TELESCOPES!!!!

The sentinel wasn't great IMO because it was just a real telescope concept in ksp, no kerbalness to it. We need more telescopes in ksp 2 and maybe even have them specialized. Such as a JWST style telescope for finding exoplanets and a hubble telescope for the stars. 

I wish we get a star that just underwent a supernova, that way there is a layer of very hot gas around the star, and traversing through that layer of hot gas will require lots of radiators and thermal management. Each of the planets in this system would be in various states of ruin with one of the planets being flung out and now being a rogue planet that you have to find. There are planets on both sides of the hot gas layer that would each benefit from trade across the layers, this should make logistics way more interesting as the parts needed to cross that layer would add far more weight.

It's a little thing, but i would love it so much if there were a pride flag with the stock flag selection. I, along with many others, play on console where custom flags arent available.

(P.S. I've been using kerbals with the colored space suits as a workaround, its actually really cool. But, seeing the actual flag would be incredible lol)

On 10/1/2022 at 3:37 AM, Strawberry said:

I wish we get a star that just underwent a supernova, that way there is a layer of very hot gas around the star, and traversing through that layer of hot gas will require lots of radiators and thermal management. Each of the planets in this system would be in various states of ruin with one of the planets being flung out and now being a rogue planet that you have to find. There are planets on both sides of the hot gas layer that would each benefit from trade across the layers, this should make logistics way more interesting as the parts needed to cross that layer would add far more weight.

A. This idea is large enough that it merits its own thread

B. The stuff released from a Supernova isn't "guess I'll put a few more radiators on", it's "guess I'll get incinerated".

9 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:
1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

The stuff released from a Supernova isn't "guess I'll put a few more radiators on", it's "guess I'll get incinerated".

Sounds like what you said on my black hole thread :D

Probably because both suggestions don't respect the laws of thermodynamics :p

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

A. This idea is large enough that it merits its own thread

B. The stuff released from a Supernova isn't "guess I'll put a few more radiators on", it's "guess I'll get incinerated".

(any admins reading feel free to branch this off into its own thread), while it is millions of degrees, the remnant is a shell that can be passed through and can also be relatively sparse. The conditions of one can get surprisingly close to our stars corona. It would be well within future (and even our technology) to go through it even if it would be difficult, just have to have really good shielding and go fast. 

Edited by Strawberry

On 10/4/2022 at 5:45 PM, Rutabaga22 said:

I'd like an option for a one segment fairing that pops of of the top of the spacecraft.

I just used a structural tube, nose cone, and a decoupler.  It had RCS, a Kos processor, parachutes, probe core and antenna also so was recovered, yay

Anyone here ever play Astroneer and think "If they combined KSP in space with this on the ground, I think I'd quit my job to never stop playing".  Especially with the "I  can suck up and relocate a small mountain" part and the "gravity changed with altitude and digging"...watching people build launch towers on top of near-orbital-height mountains, or people building a space station in the hollowed out core of a planet...

I hope that we get Mk2 nosecones, like the Mk2 cockpit but without the, y'know, cockpit. Sure, you can use the adapters and make some funky looking noses, but it really loses that Mk2 look for me. Maybe we'll see something or the other when early access rolls around.

An expansion/update that reflects some real-world rocket parts, where it's announced by an in-engine scene of a worm hole opening and Kerbalized versions of Musk/Bruno/Beck/Ellis all falling out, looking at each other, and racing to their respective VABs with a shot of a Starship/Vulcan/Electron/Terran-esqu rocket launching from each pad. Expansion/update could just be some stylized parts, decals, missions, etc. Nothing fancy. Similar to the ESA/NASA KSP1 updates (and inevitable ESA/NASA KSP2 updates). I just really want that in-engine scene of Kerbalized rocket CEOs (Could also swap in other high-profile company icons, like Shotwell, etc...rocket CEOs aren't a gender-diverse bunch...yet!)

Do we know if they are making changes to how atmosphere tapers off? It's such a big part of KSP to be able to drop a spacecraft in LKO and not worry about it...it would really increase the challenge if it used consumables over time for stationkeeping. Maybe cutoff-at-60-km is default and there's difficulty settings options for bringing it closer to reality?

1 hour ago, zeekzeek22 said:

Do we know if they are making changes to how atmosphere tapers off? It's such a big part of KSP to be able to drop a spacecraft in LKO and not worry about it...it would really increase the challenge if it used consumables over time for stationkeeping. Maybe cutoff-at-60-km is default and there's difficulty settings options for bringing it closer to reality?

This could be done, but I'm not sure how enjoyable it would be to have your low spacecraft fall down after a while; especially with time-warp it would be easy to lose track.  Also I'm curious, about that cutoff-at-60-km thing, did the KSP2 people say that the atmosphere would stop there?  In the current game it goes to 70 kilometers, and if they said that was changing I didn't hear about it.

2 hours ago, Ember12 said:

This could be done, but I'm not sure how enjoyable it would be to have your low spacecraft fall down after a while; especially with time-warp it would be easy to lose track.  Also I'm curious, about that cutoff-at-60-km thing, did the KSP2 people say that the atmosphere would stop there?  In the current game it goes to 70 kilometers, and if they said that was changing I didn't hear about it.

4 hours ago, zeekzeek22 said:

I think there could be a simpler solution. The devs talked about once you have a station, base or colony set up, automatic resupply missions can be set up.  So, let's say that a station in LKO needs to have fuel resupplied every so often to keep it's orbit in check. If you don't, then the orbit will decay until it burns up and crashes onto the planet.

I have a suggestion! When an engine is turned off, it would be nice to not have it gimbal. I think it looks kind of silly when I'm gently pitching around on RCS and my engine bells are uselessly flailing back and forth. I found an old gif of what I'm talking about:

1HTE5sh.gif

This would probably be easy enough to implement, if it hasn't been done already.

Edited by Wubslin

On 11/1/2022 at 5:13 PM, Ember12 said:

It's been a while since I've been on KSP1, the 60/70 was a mis-remember! I meant 70

6 hours ago, Jacob Kerman said:

Something that I would like is a release of part sizes and shapes, as well as mass, on a wiki or just a list on here. I am the kind of person who likes to plan ahead, and I think it would be very useful. Anyone else agree?

Can you help me understand, what is the difference between your suggestion and the current KSP part menu?